The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2006, 07:48 PM   #1
President Rolex
Banned

Lying Liars Who Lie or your AD

Went in to the AD today to see what they had and I asked what they do with their SS Daytonas. Response was they go right in the case and it is first come as to who gets them. I asked if they would call me when one was in the case and they said no, no way.

I then asked if they had a YG Daytona. They said no but they would call me when one comes in!

They can't even tell a good lie. Needless to say I was pissed off. I then said what if I just came in every day to see if the SS was in the case and they did not know what to say.

I am going to complain to the owner, as I have bought from them on several occasions and tell him what I think.

This is a great hobby, and I love it, however, it should not be such a hassle to buy a watch.

All I can say is this: GRAY MARKET!

Best wishes,

President Rolex
President Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2006, 08:10 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Agree and its all down to greed,but as for myself would never pay these ridiculous prices for a SS Daytona.IMO the TT is a far better looking
watch.And as long as people will pay these grossly inflated prices for the SS.There will be this purposely made so called shortage for the Steel version.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2006, 01:22 AM   #3
Manatee
Banned

Be good to your word -- stop in every day. Fact is, though, it's none of your business what they do with their inventory. If you're really interested in a gold Daytona, when they get the one you want, buy it.

My dealer keeps a list -- not necessarily "first come first served" -- of regular customers who are interested in hard-to-get watches (like the SS Daytona), and he sells them to those people (like me, for example.) I think that's a good way to treat your good customers.

I think it's appropriate and fair that the occasional watch buyer, or one who isn't loyal to a particular dealer, pays a premium for such watches on the secondary market.
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2006, 02:52 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Have to agree with Padi on this one. The TT Daytona is so much MORE value for money....and a darn sight better looking too!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2006, 02:39 PM   #5
molex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Rolex
All I can say is this: GRAY MARKET!
Man, you hit the nail directly on the head. For a long time, I was a member of the "AD only, you're nuts if you buy gray" crowd. No more. In fact you won't catch me throwing my money away at an AD again. For the most part AD's are complete fools who only know one thing about Rolex: It sells. They'll blow every kind of smoke up your ass to try and get you to buy, and laugh at you when you walk out Fight the power, don't give Rolex USA any more of your money! They'll stay alive just fine without fleecing collectors who know better.
molex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2006, 03:16 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by molex
Man, you hit the nail directly on the head. For a long time, I was a member of the "AD only, you're nuts if you buy gray" crowd. No more. In fact you won't catch me throwing my money away at an AD again. For the most part AD's are complete fools who only know one thing about Rolex: It sells. They'll blow every kind of smoke up your ass to try and get you to buy, and laugh at you when you walk out Fight the power, don't give Rolex USA any more of your money! They'll stay alive just fine without fleecing collectors who know better.
Sorry, Micah, have to disagree completely with you on this one. Maybe you guys are in the wrong country.

Seriously....come to NZ and I'll personally take you to any one of the ADs here....Rolex or otherwise...and see the superb service and knowledgeable people you meet!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 24 January 2006, 06:50 PM   #7
President Rolex
Banned

JJ,

Would your AD tell you something like mine did? I hope not.

I mean, to say they would call me for one watch, and not another is just silly.
Why mess around with customers. If the SS Daytona's are "Reserved" for better customers, well, I can accept that and both AD and myself can move on but, that kind of lying it very upsetting.

I am the kind of guy that likes a straight answer, good or bad, a straight answer.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your dealer, however, I ask, how do I develop any kind of relationship with these fools?

I just can't take a liar, and turn to the gray market. The gray dealer I have bought from treated me like a real customer with dignity and respect.

Best,

The President
Old 24 January 2006, 06:59 PM   #8
President Rolex
Banned

Manatee,

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I am a good customer and have spent a fortune in there.

That is why I am upset with them.

They know who the hell I am!

The President
Old 24 January 2006, 10:44 PM   #9
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Rolex
Manatee,

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I am a good customer and have spent a fortune in there.
The President
That's unfortunate, then. My dealer has a constant stream of guys walking in asking if he has a SS Daytona or green Sub available. The answer is always "no", and the sales guys look at each other and shake their heads when these guys walk right out. But the dependable customers, who keep their business going, are taken care of.
Old 24 January 2006, 10:50 PM   #10
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Sorry, Micah, have to disagree completely with you on this one. Maybe you guys are in the wrong country.
JJ
JJ, my dealer is very good too. Their prices aren't the lowest you'll find -- their stores are in upscale malls, with very high rent, but the service is excellent. Yes, I've seen the salespeople mess with guys who come in and clearly have no intention of ever becoming a customer, but then those "shoppers" usually just come in to try to antagonize the salespeople for some perverse reason. Real customers, whether they're making a purchase today or not, get excellent care, all the attention they need, and accurate information. It's a very professional operation.
Old 25 January 2006, 01:56 AM   #11
NoVaWatchLvr
Banned

I'm with Micah. Just say no!!!! Especially since I found a good re-seller.

I have had two with my name on the papers......The thrill is long gone.

LNIB pre-owned is the way to go for me. Especially the next time I loose my mind and sell.
NoVaWatchLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2006, 02:09 AM   #12
Atomic

Just as I won't buy a brand new car, I doubt I'll ever buy a brand new watch again. Why pay a premium when I can get a LNIB or close to it, condition watch, for far less on the gray market. Granted, you gotta know the dealer and have confidence...

But with our insane import duties, paying the price an AD charges is not how I like to be parted with my money. Thankfully, watch purchases for me are few and far between, with much thought, research and planning.
Old 25 January 2006, 02:30 AM   #13
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
My AD is the best in the world. Damiani Jewellers is straight up with me and on many occasions called me up to see watches that others have ordered.

They even should be the order date for these watches to prove to me that they are going by their list. Lately I have seen 3 white dial SS daytonas and 2 WG daytonas on bracelet sweet watches!!!

My black dial is the next one that comes in and I can push it to the next one if I decide that I want to buy the 14060M and 16570 first, the wait would not be more than 6 months once I am ready. They also offered me a Green sub at 15% off as a small xmas gift and for being a good customer (I send in everybody I know that wants a Rolex to them, and they ALWAYS treat my friends right although the deepest discounts are avail when my name is on the warrenty as they know I am a collector)

There are those out there that only care about the $$$ and then occasionally you will find an AD that cares about the customer and will do anything they can within reason to be able to keep them as a customer for decades. I guess thats why Damianis cares so much, family owned and run business for decades and is Toronto's oldest Rolex AD.

Keep looking guys, I am sure there are more ADs like Damianis out there.
You have
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2006, 03:04 AM   #14
C.J.
"TRF" Member

If you do buy from a reputable gray market dealer will Rolex still honor the warranty? If so, how do you get the serial number assigned to you to prove it's your watch.
I asked my AD if I could leave a deposit on a 16610 lv. He flat out said NO! He only gets 5 or 6 a year and they are held for his best customers.
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2006, 04:14 AM   #15
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
My AD is great. They sold me my SS Daytona at list price when I was in the store to buy our wedding rings. They asked me if I liked Daytonas, I said yes, and they asked me if I would like to see one they "have in the back."

I bought it on the spot.

They know I like the WG Daytona with the Meteorite dial, so they offered to order it for me from Rolex. They even offered me a great price.

They did say that they do not put SS Daytonas in the case because they are concerned about theft. Other ADs have told me the same thing. However, I know one AD in a busy shopping mall that currently has a YG Daytona with a Paul Newman dial sitting in the case next to a WG Meteorite dial Daytona, which is sitting next to a YG Blue dial Submariner.

I think your AD doesn't want your business, so I would go somewhere else.
Old 25 January 2006, 08:04 AM   #16
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Like Molex, I will not buy from an AD again. There are too many good pre-owned Rolex watches to give my money away to an AD. Mine lied to me, seems to be their pattern. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2006, 08:08 AM   #17
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I'm sticking with my AD.
When I was looking for my 16610, he said he was selling them as fast as he could get them. I had not bought from him before, but he held one for me & I got a nice discount as well.
He also offered to bring in a SS Daytona for me.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2006, 12:43 PM   #18
John Holbrook II
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by molex
Not all grey market Rolex watches come from outside Rolex USA.

In most cases, if you're not going to buy from an AD, I believe it makes more sense to buy second hand. In general, you'll pay more for the plastic that comes on an unworn watch from a gray market dealer, and in both cases, Rolex will not honor the warranty.
John Holbrook II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2006, 12:46 PM   #19
John Holbrook II
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Have to agree with Padi on this one. The TT Daytona is so much MORE value for money....and a darn sight better looking too!!
I'm not sure about that one JJ...beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder, but TT Daytonas take a nasty hit in depreciation that the SS models don't take. I'm not sure the TT models are a better value.
John Holbrook II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2006, 12:49 PM   #20
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Have a small dilema here....
I just got my 16610 ( Dec 19th), had my eye on the TT Daytona ( sorry don't remember the number)( 116523 I think)
I do like my AD. BUT, one of my clients is going to Hong Kong in 10 days to buy his own boys Rolex's. He asked me if I wanted him to pick one up for me.
SO, to I take the plunge this soon on it?? I need time to enjoy my 16610.
I could potentially save a few thousand dollars here, but it's only been about 40 days.
sigh.....
plus, I don't really have $8,000 (Cdn) kicking around right now.

Member # 293
Old 26 January 2006, 12:52 PM   #21
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
sigh.....
plus, I don't really have $8,000 (Cdn) kicking around right now.
John, when did a little thing like adequate funding stop anyone from getting good deal on a Rollie.

Go for it, man.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2006, 12:53 PM   #22
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook II
I'm not sure about that one JJ...beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder, but TT Daytonas take a nasty hit in depreciation that the SS models don't take. I'm not sure the TT models are a better value.
I believe he means better value because you get 18K gold on the watch, as opposed to plain SS, for practically the same price.

TT Daytonas only take a nasty hit on depreciation because so many low-life shillers buy SS Daytonas at list and then turn around and sell them at highly inflated prices to people who aren't collectors, just idiots with more money than brains who want a shiney watch that doesn't need a battery, so they can show off to their low-forehead friends.

Last edited by Atomic; 26 January 2006 at 01:07 PM..
Old 26 January 2006, 12:54 PM   #23
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
John, when did a little thing like adequate funding stop anyone from getting good deal on a Rollie.

Go for it, man.
Gotta agree... strike when the iron is hot. Don't let opportunity pass you by.
Old 26 January 2006, 12:57 PM   #24
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Feed my habit you guys.
Like I said on an earlier post " I'm glad this isn't a Rolex Anonymous site"

Member # 293
Old 26 January 2006, 12:58 PM   #25
Atomic

Quote:
Feed my habit you guys.
Like I said on an earlier post " I'm glad this isn't a Rolex Anonymous site"
Hey what are friends for? BTW, from what I hear, price in HK are really quite good, particularly compared to the prices CDN ADs are asking.
Old 26 January 2006, 01:00 PM   #26
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

I know, right before I got mine, his buddy picked him up the TT Blue Sub for $7,000 Cdn.( all inclusive)

Member # 293
Old 26 January 2006, 01:02 PM   #27
Atomic

Quote:
I know, right before I got mine, his buddy picked him up the TT Blue Sub for $7,000 Cdn.( all inclusive)
WOW! Awesome price!!! They list for what, CDN$9500 plus tax, give or take.
Old 26 January 2006, 04:37 PM   #28
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook II
John,

What I meant by "better value" was NOT in terms of resale. I meant it in terms of what you get in return for what you actually pay for the watch. It is only common sense and everyone knows that gold has more value than steel.

Why then would someone be so stupid to pay premium on an SS watch when he, for less money, can buy a TT watch with all that extra SOLID 18 K GOLD!!! Just simple logic to me!!