The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 March 2014, 01:36 AM   #1
timelord
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Is case tube/pendent changed at every service?

Is it common practise to expect the case tube to be changed at every service, or is only changed more often on the submariner and Seadwellers because of the extra water resistance requirements beyond 100 meters?

My understanding is that it is the crown that is more likely to wear out than the case tube, unless they are both changed even if it is only the crown that is worn? Someone correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by timelord; 11 March 2014 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: missing pronouns leading to an misunderstood question
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 02:28 AM   #2
chaw6125
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC 116610
From what I understand is that they are both swapped as standard. Although we pay higher prices for a new in box crown and tube a watchsmith with a parts account would pay a lot less so they normally do it as part of the service along with the mainspring and any worn parts.

Ideally someone like Rik would be best to advise though.
chaw6125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 02:40 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
my few services have all included "crown and tube" replacement on the itemized bill.

however the last time RSC NY performed this service for me, they only billed me for it, without actually doing the work… i brought it back twice in a week, the first time they "adjusted it" (no difference) and on the second time they changed the crown and tube "again."
Old 12 March 2014, 12:02 AM   #4
timelord
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
my few services have all included "crown and tube" replacement on the itemized bill.

however the last time RSC NY performed this service for me, they only billed me for it, without actually doing the work…
."
What?????????? RSC ?????????????? who charge heaven and earth for what they do and are so exagerated in being strict and pedantic at changing everything they can spot such as dial swaps for impeccable original dials etc. did not do the work they quoted you for?? If you can't trust them, then I will toss in the towel once and for all in this interest I thought that the automotive maintenance industry were a flogging
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2014, 01:45 PM   #5
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord View Post
What?????????? RSC ??????????????......If you can't trust them, then I will toss in the towel once and for all in this interest I thought that the automotive maintenance industry were a flogging
Both try to reduce their labor time by just changing out parts - you can process more units per craftsmsn per day that way. The resulting cost.....well.....what can I say? But never toss in the towel!
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2014, 05:39 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
At full RSC things like seals,mainsprings, crown tubes, are changed as part of service and if necessary crowns too, as these items are just disposable service items.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2014, 03:31 AM   #7
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Rik changed the seals on the triplock crown on my Sub when he serviced it but did not replace crown and case tube. He told me that he has seen Submariner crowns last for 20 years, so he is different from RSC as they will charge you for a new crown and case tube anytime they service a watch. Bottom line is Rik will not charge you for parts that the watch does not need replacing. The man has been a watchmaker for 34 years and really knows his stuff.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2014, 03:58 AM   #8
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

RSC doesn't replace the crowns and tubes on all submariners, or anything with a triplock crown either.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2014, 04:03 AM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord View Post
What?????????? RSC ?????????????? who charge heaven and earth for what they do and are so exagerated in being strict and pedantic at changing everything they can spot such as dial swaps for impeccable original dials etc. did not do the work they quoted you for?? If you can't trust them, then I will toss in the towel once and for all in this interest I thought that the automotive maintenance industry were a flogging
yes that is what i am saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
Both try to reduce their labor time by just changing out parts - you can process more units per craftsmsn per day that way. The resulting cost.....well.....what can I say? But never toss in the towel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
RSC doesn't replace the crowns and tubes on all submariners, or anything with a triplock crown either.
However,
It is reasonable to expect it to be changed when your billed for it.
Old 20 March 2014, 12:01 PM   #10
michigan.watches
"TRF" Member

I can add that Rolex does not replace monobloc crowns with standard service. The monobloc crowns are only polished.
michigan.watches is offline   Reply With Quote