The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 July 2014, 06:45 AM   #31
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
I totally get (and respect) that some people aren't worried/concerned about scratches, but at the same time, we're talking about in some cases $8k+ pieces of jewelry here, not hammers. While scratches are inevitable, are some people actively TRYING to get them banged up?

My 8 month old (almost) daily-wearer DSSD for example:

Like the person with the GMT, I too am very careful with my things, especially ones that were very expensive. Maybe just a matter of perspective/etc., but to me the $10,000 I paid for this watch represents a ton of money, and I like to take care of my property.

But again, to each his own. Not condemning or saying it's right/wrong/indifferent.

I wear my watches with short sleeves and sit at a desk every day. I do yard work and routine tasks with my watches on.

I do not actively try to scratch them but I definitely don't worry about routine wear. My watches are constantly wound when not in use and are cleaned with a soft bristle brush and cloth twice a week.

The Sub is almost 2 years old and the Daytona is barely 2 months old. Do you guys always wear long sleeves or something? I can't understand how some of you have watches that old without any significant blemishes.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 06:48 AM   #32
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post

I wear my watches with short sleeves and sit at a desk every day. I do yard work and routine tasks with my watches on.

I do not actively try to scratch them but I definitely don't worry about routine wear. My watches are constantly wound when not in use and are cleaned with a soft bristle brush and cloth twice a week.

The Sub is almost 2 years old and the Daytona is barely 2 months old. Do you guys always wear long sleeves or something? I can't understand how some of you have watches that old without any significant blemishes.
Well, for one I don't do yard work or anything like that with my Rolex on. I'm also conscious when at a desk not to rest my wrist (the clasp) on the desk or keyboard. The occasional bump or scrape happens, but being cognizant that you're wearing $12,000 worth of jewelry does make you a bit more careful.

I would certainly never reach into my engine compartment with the Deepsea on.

Your watches look extremely worn. I'm curious how the bracelets got so many scratches actually, if you do most of your work at a desk.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 06:57 AM   #33
franzy
"TRF" Member

It's a watch. Who cares I say
franzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 07:04 AM   #34
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, for one I don't do yard work or anything like that with my Rolex on. I'm also conscious when at a desk not to rest my wrist (the clasp) on the desk or keyboard. The occasional bump or scrape happens, but being cognizant that you're wearing $12,000 worth of jewelry does make you a bit more careful.

I would certainly never reach into my engine compartment with the Deepsea on.

Your watches look extremely worn. I'm curious how the bracelets got so many scratches actually, if you do most of your work at a desk.
My desk is the cause of almost all of that. The top of it is a laminate material and when working at my computer or writing (I am a lefty that wears my watch on my left arm) the bracelet from 12 o'clock to the clasp is constantly lightly rubbing. The 6 o'clock side of the bracelet looks almost new.

Most of the scratches you can see are surface only and will polish right out. I also would never stick my watch inside an engine bay either with any watch on either. Too much risk of damage.
Old 24 July 2014, 07:18 AM   #35
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Not sure where this almost perverse pleasure in scratches comes from, especially since it is so easy to clean them up now and again, but to each his / her own...
Old 24 July 2014, 07:28 AM   #36
gerrya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSimba View Post
This for me also.

I'm not going to cry if I see a blemish life's got bigger issues to worry about & I bought them to wear :) but I'll do everything possible, except leaving the stickers on! to limit the marks & damage as I'm sure like everyone else here I worked too damn hard to afford to purchase them to want to see them scared up!
I agree, I work on planes for a living and I let my G-Shock take the brunt of that. If I know its going to get banged up, it comes off. When its yard work time at home this goes on:
gerrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 07:36 AM   #37
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Everything comes off my hands when I use tools.

Safety first...
Old 24 July 2014, 07:43 AM   #38
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
This reminds me of my days as a car salesperson 15 yrs ago. I sold a new truck to a customer and after having it washed and fueled up, I handed him the key. He went behind the cab to the truck bed, took the key and put a short but deep scratch in a discrete location. "There," he said, "now I'm not worried about the first scratch."
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 07:44 AM   #39
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
This reminds me of my days as a car salesperson 15 yrs ago. I sold a new truck to a customer and after having it washed and fueled up, I handed him the key. He went behind the cab to the truck bed, took the key and put a short but deep scratch in a discrete location. "There," he said, "now I'm not worried about the first scratch."
Funny, but not quite the same as a big door ding...
Old 24 July 2014, 07:45 AM   #40
Charles1977

Watch: Daytona 116300
[QUOTE=ZROLEX;5121658]6 years of wearing my GMTII-C. Yes this one is not my daily wearer, but still, I'm very gentle with all my watches, and all other things as well. Last time when I sold my 2 year old iPhone guy asked me- "Are you sure its not new?" LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I'm exactly the same way,my watches look brand new after a year.My iphone as well hahaha.
Charles1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 07:54 AM   #41
brokenchains
"TRF" Member

So luck to have a brushed bracelet, a 3m scotch brite pad will do wonders, much harder for me on my PCL Daytona bracelet.
Old 24 July 2014, 07:56 AM   #42
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I'm pretty careful overall. I do the "wrist behind the back move" through doorways, the "clasp never hits the desk due to the palm / arm combo", and the old "take it off" when I'm doing something like yard work. I have always thought that if the bezel and crystal on a watch weren't scratched up, I could live with it. The clasp is always going to get scratched, think of it as a shield for your wrist.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 08:45 AM   #43
jay_man2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
My desk is the cause of almost all of that. The top of it is a laminate material and when working at my computer or writing (I am a lefty that wears my watch on my left arm) the bracelet from 12 o'clock to the clasp is constantly lightly rubbing. The 6 o'clock side of the bracelet looks almost new.

Most of the scratches you can see are surface only and will polish right out. I also would never stick my watch inside an engine bay either with any watch on either. Too much risk of damage.
I'm a lefty desk jockey too, and all my watches are pristine compared to yours. I do rest my arm on a bean bag when I'm using a mouse, and wear long sleeves at work.
jay_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 09:23 AM   #44
StartupGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
WOW - that is 6 years old? Mine is 6 months old and it looks like I've had it for 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZROLEX View Post
6 years of wearing my GMTII-C. Yes this one is not my daily wearer, but still, I'm very gentle with all my watches, and all other things as well. Last time when I sold my 2 year old iPhone guy asked me- "Are you sure its not new?" LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StartupGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 09:32 AM   #45
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
As scratched up as your bracelets are, I doubt it's very noticeable unless upon close inspection. So no worries. Here's to 6 more years!
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 09:45 AM   #46
The Sub-lime One
"TRF" Member

Got my Sub in February and this was after 3 months... Not worried about scratches but my heart pounds every time I hear a ding when I've accidentally knocked my wrist against something. I now have this habit of walking through doors with my wrist behind my back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.3 KB, 198 views)
The Sub-lime One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 09:53 AM   #47
R@lex
"TRF" Member

Watch: dd40 228235
Quote:
I totally get (and respect) that some people aren't worried/concerned about scratches, but at the same time, we're talking about in some cases $8k+ pieces of jewelry here, not hammers. While scratches are inevitable, are some people actively TRYING to get them banged up?

My 8 month old (almost) daily-wearer DSSD for example:

Like the person with the GMT, I too am very careful with my things, especially ones that were very expensive. Maybe just a matter of perspective/etc., but to me the $10,000 I paid for this watch represents a ton of money, and I like to take care of my property.

But again, to each his own. Not condemning or saying it's right/wrong/indifferent.
I agree with you!
Old 24 July 2014, 10:20 AM   #48
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

This one gets used on most of my dives

The more scratches the better it looks to me!

Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 10:35 AM   #49
ZROLEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartupGuy View Post
WOW - that is 6 years old? Mine is 6 months old and it looks like I've had it for 6 years.
Yes buddy, it is. Helping factor is because I'm wearing my watches little more up on the arm and more-less snug rather than having them down and wobbly, so watch doesn't get table dive at all as my hand touches first, and when wearing long sleeves it is always under and never comes out of the sleeve, that's how I like it. And I'm wearing my watches on right hand despite the fact I'm right handed.
ZROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 11:15 AM   #50
eas
"TRF" Member

You need this...
http://tedsustraps.3dcartstores.com/...ket_p_427.html
eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 12:55 PM   #51
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist

Any questions?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 01:08 PM   #52
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Looks in NM condition by some sellers standards 😂😂😂
Old 24 July 2014, 01:19 PM   #53
mechanicaltime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
These watches are designed to be worn and used to tell time. My activities may result in a few scratches or nicks. I lead an active life. I can't leave it in a safe. I enjoy wearing a Rolex because it's strong and durable. I really don't baby it.
mechanicaltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 02:29 PM   #54
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

I say just wear it and enjoy it in good health.
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2014, 09:46 PM   #55
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
I'm a lefty desk jockey too, and all my watches are pristine compared to yours. I do rest my arm on a bean bag when I'm using a mouse, and wear long sleeves at work.
From your post I can wager a guess though that you wear your watches on the right arm because you mentioned using a mouse. If I wore my watch on my right arm and wore long sleeves on top of that my watches would likely still look close to new.

For the poster that mentioned how easily the scratches buff out of the brushed finish, I am aware. Just don't see the reason to waste time cleaning it up for the scratches to immediately start coming back. As long as the bezel and crystal are scratch free, the rest is tolerable.

I love mechanical watches as they are engineering masterpieces. It fascinates me how all those tiny moving parts can keep such accurate time with temperature, position, movement, and environment always being variable as well as respecting all the attention to detail that goes into every little thing on a luxury timepiece. Dive watches are my choice because although I sit behind a desk, I enjoy being able to have zero concern about getting it wet and Rolex was my choice as the 3135 has been proven decade after decade to be nearly indestructible if maintained properly.

Although expensive, Rolex watches are not fragile devices so I will not treat it as if it is. If I have to baby it and worry about it every time it goes on my wrist, I cannot enjoy it.
Old 24 July 2014, 09:52 PM   #56
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post

Any questions?
Lol.....although effective I would never remember to do it until the first time I heard my watch clasp dragging across my desk.
Old 24 July 2014, 11:50 PM   #57
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
just to be clear, i dont abuse my things. i dont baby them either. i used to be one of those people that lived for keeping things like watches and cell phones in pristine condition. its very liberating to just enjoy them and not worry about the little things anymore. im free! and to be honest, it looks way worse in photos than in person.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote