The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 November 2014, 11:48 PM   #31
Burrost1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex red 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher UK View Post
Its a tough call. I was actually watching it on ebay before I saw this thread (don't worry not buying yet, just kinda toying with the idea of vintage). I've been monitoring the 'red' situation for about 6 weeks in the UK and there haven't been many...about 4 I think. There was a good one on Chrono24 a couple of weeks back which looked in about the best nick I have ever seen one WITH ORIGINAL PAPERS as well but it had no bracelet, only a leather strap and was £12k!!! Think it was on Old Bond Street in London. You probably spotted it yourself? Now that looked REALLY nice (excellent chamfers & dial) but was REALLY steep price wise.

I know some are not too bothered about orginal papers but for me personally, if I was dipping my toe into the 'vintage' pool for the first time I'd be pretty keen on papers just for extra piece of mind and to assist resale (should it ever occur).

Strangely if/when I go for vintage, as it stands at the moment, I too would be trading a modern Daytona.

I think £8.5k is still a bit steep with no papers though.

Come on lets hear some of the inner workings of your mind . Something is obviously holding you back or is price the primary factor?

Have you seen the watch in the flesh? Where abouts in the UK are you? Is it too far for you to go and view it? That may help you make your mind up about it

Nick
I'm in Manchester and will be going up, tentatively secured a deal, these don't come up often and has everything apart from papers (swing tag and original box) but a full Rolex service so that's a massive bonus!! Papers would be nice but for 4k additional???, just spoken to jewellers in London and they are selling at 11k for similar ones without papers or even Rolex service papers. The Rolex service papers alone indicate that everything is genuine etc and the seller has fantastic feedback, I dare say I could fine one for 7k -7.5k without all of this but would I have piece of mind?? Vintage is a minefield and this must be the millioneth one I've seen, so in conclusion I'm happy to pay a little more as its a beauty and the pots are unmarked, dial and hands patina match and genuine NON service dial so all is good. The Daytona is 2 a penny where I live in South Manchester and I can always get one for 5.5-6k now anyway. They certainly wont be making any new Reds though!!
Burrost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 12:30 AM   #32
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
I think you have answered all your own questions with regards to buying this one... If you dont buy it someone else will very soon..
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2014, 04:10 AM   #33
Fletcher UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
They defo won't be making any more 'reds' that's true Hope all goes well for you and you are as pleased with it in the flesh as I suspect you will be. Keep us updated and a few pics/wrist shots if you get it
Fletcher UK is offline   Reply With Quote