The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 December 2014, 09:41 PM   #1
jsft98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Advice on overhaul of a red sub by RSC

Hello fellow members,

After few weeks of waiting, I received a quote from RSC HK regarding overhauling of a red Sub.

It took few weeks for them to run through the serial database number in Geneva and another couple of weeks to check what needs to be changed.

They recommend:
- full overhaul of the movement
- change of tube and Crown
- change of the tropic 127 crystal
- change of the glass retaining ring

While I'd perfectly be fine with the movement overhaul, and a no go for changing the crown/tube, I'd like to see your views regarding the crystal and retaining ring change.

Are there different type of crystal tropic 127? Is the change of the crystal and or retaining ring likely to impact the originality of the watch and its value?

Here are pictures of the watch before sent to RSC HK

No polishing, change of hands/dial, change of bezel/insert, change of date wheel will be asked

Thank you for your help,
Chris
jsft98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

gereat looking Red !
keep it out of the RSC, have a specialized vintage Rolex watchmaker service the movement and wear that baby...
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'm sure he'll be fine with getting the movement serviced by RSC in Hong Kong. Bear in mind that RSC prices here are less than half what they are in the US and UK, and the movement on this watch is not difficult to service, especially for an RSC watchmaker.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 10:10 PM   #4
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nice looking red Since they are not going to change the dial, hands and bezel I would not mind using the RSC. After all you get a documented warranty and a nice card which proves authenticity.
Old 2 December 2014, 10:11 PM   #5
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Have them do all that they have suggested, IMO. No problem changing crown/tube/plexi/retaining ring and service movement - perfect.

Edit; they are serviceable parts, as with gasket seals, mainsprings etc. This type of service can only enhance its value, I think.

Beauty, BTW.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 10:27 PM   #6
jsft98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Thanks for your feedback guys.
As Adam has mentioned, Rolex HK is quoting decent prices for the overhaul. It will get a guarantee for 2 years and the comfort that the watch is genuine (to third party like insurance company).

With regard to the crown, I personally prefer the 702 crown look, as opposed to the 703 or 704, that's why I'd like to keep it.

For the crystal, I'm not sure if there are different types. I know that for the sea dweller 1665, there is service type of T39 which not superdome.
jsft98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 10:33 PM   #7
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

They'll likely use the standard T127 service crystal with the large bevel, as per the one on it now. It looks decent enough, but they usually insist/want to replace crystals/seals/crowns/tubes etc to ensure WR, which they will not, if you keep the old crown.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 10:35 PM   #8
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'm sure he'll be fine with getting the movement serviced by RSC in Hong Kong. Bear in mind that RSC prices here are less than half what they are in the US and UK, and the movement on this watch is not difficult to service, especially for an RSC watchmaker.

interesting , i would have thought that a same price policy would have been in place world wide , bit like the rrp selling thing.
funny old world
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 10:36 PM   #9
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
nice looking watch to start with , bet the end result is spectacular.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 10:41 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
interesting , i would have thought that a same price policy would have been in place world wide , bit like the rrp selling thing.
funny old world
Service on something like a Sub (no date) here starts from about US$275. I think the RSCs are free to set their own prices.
Old 2 December 2014, 10:45 PM   #11
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Service on something like a Sub (no date) here starts from about US$275. I think the RSCs are free to set their own prices.
Interesting... how is the turnaround time? Worth a trip to bring a handful of watches for service...
Im Lauf der Zeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 10:50 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lauf der Zeit View Post
Interesting... how is the turnaround time? Worth a trip to bring a handful of watches for service...
Usually about two to three weeks. Fastest I ever had was 11 days. But if the watch was not originally bought in HK snd you don't have the papers, they send the serial number to Geneva for verification. This also takes two weeks.
Old 2 December 2014, 10:54 PM   #13
fmc000
Banned

If you're not changing crown and tube, your watch won't be safe to swim or bath; therefore I see no reason to change the original plexy and retaining ring as the crystal looks fine to me by your pictures.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 02:02 AM   #14
PoderEsBueno
"TRF" Member

You can just get the movement serviced to an independent Rolex watchmaker and keep the rest if you like the look of the 702 crown and the original small beveled crystal. I dont think changing those suggested parts will effect the value, it could add more to your watch as it is serviced and checked by Rolex. But i have to say you have a beautiful raw red which i wouldnt rush changing any parts. Just remember to keep the watch out of water if you dont do the full service. One of the best i have seen in awhile, good luck
Old 3 December 2014, 03:09 AM   #15
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
I personally feel by keeping the original crown and tube, you are preserving the originality of the watch. I have never known of rolex service parts to ever help in the value departments, only hurt.

The crystal retaining ring I see no harm what so ever in replacing that with a tight fresh ring to protect that stunning dial of yours.. The crystal really isn't a big deal either if that gets replaced, but again, Originality is key.

The overhaul and warranty will definitely add a +1 to the watch. Just don't go crazy with replacement parts if RSC doesn't force you to replace em.

The one positive about RSC servicing your watch is that I have been told by a senior supervisor at the Dallas location when I was asking about certain scenarios if my watch got damaged during service.. Its good to know that if something by chance does happen damage wise during service with a rare dial, like a red sub dial in your case and the customer demanded not to have a service replacement, RSC has in the past been able to pull an original dial from their archives in Geneva to replace that damaged vintage dial.. This was one story I was told by RSC back when I serviced my 1680 some time ago.. I would imagine that a pretty big stink would have to be made in order for them to do it. The story I was told was a customers double red sea-dweller dial was damaged and they replaced it with another vintage dial in equal condition and patina.

Otherwise, they will just replace a red vintage dial with a red luminova service dial that is special ordered..

RSC can do some pretty spectacular things, I don't feel they get enough credit. It is annoying that every RSC around the world has different rules..

Your watch will be in great care.. If an independent damages, you're out of luck and it's pretty much at your own risk to have them service it.. I'm sure if it is a reputable independent, they would work with you if something like that happened, but don't know if they could actually source a proper replacement.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 05:59 AM   #16
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Changing the crown will definitely not effect the value. But some prefer the original. Personally I would want whatever will keep the water out the best.

What good is a original crown if it let's water in and ruins the dial and hands?
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 06:20 AM   #17
Lgear080
Banned

I'm confused ... Why are you servicing at all?
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 06:31 AM   #18
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Have them do all that they have suggested, IMO. No problem changing crown/tube/plexi/retaining ring and service movement - perfect.

Edit; they are serviceable parts, as with gasket seals, mainsprings etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
They'll likely use the standard T127 service crystal with the large bevel, as per the one on it now. It looks decent enough, but they usually insist/want to replace crystals/seals/crowns/tubes etc to ensure WR, which they will not, if you keep the old crown.
I completely agree with this. Originality is great, but not when it comes to serviceable parts that threaten a watch's water resistance. I've lost one vintage Rolex to water damage...never again.

The OP's dial, hands, insert, and date wheel are what matter. I say go for it! If price isn't the issue, I see no reason not to go with RSC for this.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 06:58 AM   #19
SubKing
"TRF" Member

I prefer to keep my original crown and tube.. I'm not diving in my watch.. It will never see water. I wipe it down every now and again with a damp paper towel, but other than that, serviced or not, I would never take my vintage in the water.. not worth the risk IMO, but this has been discussed before and everyone does different with their pieces. Members here have suffered water damage on their serviced pieces in the past or rust on the crystal retaining ring which is sometimes common.

I think retaining the original parts, even those as small as the crown and tube, adds to the over all charm of the vintage piece and preserves the overall originality that purists are after.

It's the details that count with vintage and I think when looking at a vintage to purchase, these little things can effect the price, even in the smallest of ways. Completely original vintage watches demand a premium on the collectors market no doubt.. If they didn't, then people would not be selling old crown and tubes as there would be no demand for them. An updated crown and tube would never break the deal for me, but it is much more common to see updated crowns then not.

But if people here want to swim in the watch, then I highly recommend to replace what ever parts necessary to keep the water out for sure.. If you don't plan on ever selling it and want to bring the watch up to your own expectations and needs; then service away... In the end, it's what matters most to YOU. My advise, don't get it wet.. don't do it..
Old 3 December 2014, 07:43 AM   #20
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Would agree about not getting it wet. I have a couple of 70s Rolex sports, serviced and in very good condition but I still would not risk it. What's the point when you don't need to and can have a more modern Sub or GMT for that?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 08:13 AM   #21
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Beautiful Red! I think you'd be fine doing what was recommended by the RSC. They won't butcher your watch as long as you are clear as to what you want.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2014, 12:02 AM   #22
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Would agree about not getting it wet...What's the point when you don't need to?
It's not just a matter of "don't swim with it." In my case, light rain destroyed my watch. Granted, it was due to crystal failure, not crown/tube issues, but personally I'm going to take WR very seriously from now on.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2014, 01:14 AM   #23
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
It's not just a matter of "don't swim with it." In my case, light rain destroyed my watch. Granted, it was due to crystal failure, not crown/tube issues, but personally I'm going to take WR very seriously from now on.
I take my watch off and put it in my pocket when I'm stuck in a rain scenario.