The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2008, 12:14 AM   #1
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
"ANTIQUORUM"... files charges against ex-CEO

From the National Jeweler network

Geneva—In a criminal suit filed in Geneva, Antiquorum Auctioneers is accusing its former chief executive Osvaldo Patrizzi of fraudulent activities during his tenure, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.

The auction house's board alleges that Patrizzi was involved in theft of valuable watches and that he was responsible for misappropriating company funds and false accounting, according to the statement, which was filed in October and obtained by the paper on Tuesday.

Mark Schumacher, a business associate of Patrizzi's, confirmed to the newspaper that the complaint had been filed and said that Patrizzi denied any wrongdoing.

He called the announcement of Antiquorum's legal action as an attempt to smear Patrizzi just as he launched a new auction house, Patrizzi and Co.

Patrizzi had filed a countermotion against Antiquorum's October complaint.

Antiquorum and Patrizzi, the co-founder of the auction house, have been dueling since he was fired last summer.

In November, Antiquorum filed a civil suit in Swiss courts against the auction house's former management to secure the rights of the company. The company said the suit followed an independent audit of the auction house by PricewaterhouseCoopers.

"The audit shows that Antiquorum is healthy and largely profitable, despite any potential impact caused by former management misconduct," Antiquorum's Chief Financial Officer David Smith told National Jeweler after the filing the civil suit last year. "Trading results for 2007 approximate those in 2006."

At that time, Antiquorum's lawyer Christophe de Kalbermatten confirmed that Antiquorum has filed a lawsuit against former management "based on the severe irregularities revealed by the audit," but he said confidentiality barred him from discussing the suit further.

Patrizzi did not return calls for comment on that suit.

In January 2007, Patrizzi had sold 50 percent of the company to ArtistHouse Holdings, a Japanese publishing and Internet operation. ArtistHouse management claims Patrizzi intended to ultimately sell the entire company to ArtistHouse. But that August, Antiquorum's board of directors ousted Patrizzi, who spent 30 years at the helm of the world's largest watch auction house.

Patrizzi filed suit against the company, claiming that his ouster was illegal. Patrizzi claims that the board called an emergency shareholder gathering in August during his vacation, at which time they voted Patrizzi out of his position. Patrizzi claims that the meeting was illegal because Swiss regulations require more notice for shareholders and that a majority of voting members be Swiss residents.

Antiquorum's new president John Tsukahara has said ArtistHouse hopes to take Antiquorum public in the next few years.

Personally I never gave them to auction off any of my Rolex watches, I have heard stories like that but always
thought better safe than sorry.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2008, 11:15 PM   #2
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Thanks for the post Anastasios

I remember hearing about the accusations some time ago too.

It's funny, I've noticesd that Antiquorum lists the "Patrizzi" dialled Dayonas as "Colour change".

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2008, 12:02 AM   #3
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac67 View Post
Thanks for the post Anastasios

I remember hearing about the accusations some time ago too.

It's funny, I've noticesd that Antiquorum lists the "Patrizzi" dialled Dayonas as "Colour change".

John.
Agreed! Besides that, one should be very careful with authenticationg "Patrizzi" dials, these days. Normal Daytona dials have been known to have been "aged" by various artificial methods.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2008, 12:50 AM   #4
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Agreed! Besides that, one should be very careful with authenticationg "Patrizzi" dials, these days. Normal Daytona dials have been known to have been "aged" by various artificial methods.
Yes, I have seen some pretty horiffic examples out there.

Personally, the Patrizzi dials look yuk!

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote