The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 December 2014, 12:25 PM   #1
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on this 1675?

Hi guys,

I'd like your opinion on this 1675 that I am interested in.

http://www.lunaroyster.com/watches/1...-dial-on-strap

My initial thoughts:

- The insert is definitely a replacement
- The dial and hands look very nice. I don't think they are re-lumed, but could they be early service replacements? Are there tell-tale signs of early service replacements?
- The case looks quite polished, but still in good shape. Do you think there is enough left to have the chamfers reshaped? If not, I still believe the case can be refinished enough to make it look very nice (by somebody who specializes in this type of thing, of course).

- It was brought to my attention that the caseback could be off for this watch given the serial number.
- What about the date wheel? It should be an open 6, right?

Though I browse the vintage section quite a bit and I have been reading into the 1675/16750 for some time, I am definitely not as experienced as you all. Your opinions are all very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, all!
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2014, 02:29 PM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The case isn't bad for its age, but there is a little cupping around the spring bar holes. The case back is correct for the serial number range. The chamfers can be made new again by someone that knows what they are doing, as well as the spring bar holes.

The bezel insert is a service replacement as well as the hands. The dial has been relumed based on the thick puffy markers but appears to be a genuine, correct Mark I dial. As far as the dial still having some luminescence, some of the late 1960s dials will give off a very light dial glow when charged with a light, but based on my experience from owning dozens of the GMTs from the late 1960s and early 1970s, most will not glow when charged by a light source.

The date wheel is correct.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

John, thanks for your input. Unfortunately, this watch is no longer available. Still, this thread can be a good learning experience for me.

When trying to identify a relumed dial, I have been looking for an uneven application of lume (e.g., uneven, blotchy, etc...). Some jobs are better than others, of course (I think this relume job is pretty good). Now I have one more thing to take into consideration (puffy markers).

How can you tell that the hands are replacement hands? Since the shade of lume looks the same as the dial, I am assuming that the hands have also been relumed. Do you agree?
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote