The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 January 2015, 04:18 AM   #1
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Royal Oak resiliency vs other sports watches?

So this is not something that is an immediate issue for me but I do curate a list of watches that I intend to buy and re-order them as my tastes change, while trying to keep a list that in the end will give me a little of everything.

As my tastes have changed over the past few years I have gotten more and more into finishing and movements leading the likes of JLC, ALS and Patek onto my list.

However I do want to have at least one very basic sports watch that I can be less concerned about bumping or scratching, something that I could wear in the rain or even swim with, without worry (things I would never attempt with a complicated or ultra thin dress watch). I know that the Royal Oak isn't a super dive watch like a Sea-Dweller or Submariner, but is it a watch that could fulfill what I am looking for?

I particularly like the plain steel and blue 15300 and find it to be much more attractive than a Nautilus or Submariner but if its not really suited for the role I would have in mind, I would prioritize the purchase of many other dress or complication watches before the purchase of a Royal Oak.

I'm not looking for something that I can drop off a building but rather something that may have a chance of surviving being dropped to the floor, submerged in water (while in a pool) at a similar level to the more boring (in my view) looking Rolex Submariner (lets compare the RO to a similar aged reference of the Submariner or other suggestions if they were in production at the time).

Are there any articles discussing/comparing the reliability or toughness of watches at this level?
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2015, 04:31 AM   #2
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
My daily watch is the AP 15400. It is my go to watch when the weather is not ideal. But I also tend to be mindful of the position of my wrist when walking near doorways or other obstacles.

When doing hardcore manual labor, I take my watch off.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2015, 04:39 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Sounds to me like the Royal oak is the exact opposite of what you want. If you knick an RO on a door casing, forget dropping it on the floor , you will likely be looking at an ugly scar. There is a watch for the job you describe and it is called the submariner
Old 5 January 2015, 04:39 AM   #4
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Yeah I don't intend it for hardcore manual labour, have read issues of the crowns falling off when setting the date. Do issues like that only apply to certain references?
Old 5 January 2015, 04:43 AM   #5
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Sounds to me like the Royal oak is the exact opposite of what you want. If you knick an RO on a door casing, forget dropping it on the floor , you will likely be looking at an ugly scar. There is a watch for the job you describe and it is called the submariner
Would the ROO 15703 or 15701 be any better? I don't like the looks of the Offshore diver as much as the regular royal oak but its still a lot more different in appearance than my GMT pepsi than a submariner or sea dweller.
Old 5 January 2015, 05:05 AM   #6
Jp28
"TRF" Member

In a word 'No'.
As noted by the other replies it will pick up a lot of scratches (that show much more) than a sub.
If you after something different, how about the Blancpain FiftyFathoms? It fits a lot of what you are looking for.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2015, 05:27 AM   #7
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Get this one ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.6 KB, 488 views)
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2015, 05:37 AM   #8
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexvd View Post

However I do want to have at least one very basic sports watch that I can be less concerned about bumping or scratching, something that I could wear in the rain or even swim with, without worry (things I would never attempt with a complicated or ultra thin dress watch). I know that the Royal Oak isn't a super dive watch like a Sea-Dweller or Submariner, but is it a watch that could fulfill what I am looking for?
Based on your description above, what you need is not a RO but a ROO and in particular, the ROO Ceramic Diver.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2015, 05:41 AM   #9
Jidonsu
"TRF" Member

Aquanaut.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 | Rolex 114060 | Rolex 116710BLNR | Tudor Black Bay GMT | Tudor Pelagos Blue | IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince |
Jidonsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2015, 07:02 AM   #10
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
In a word 'No'.
As noted by the other replies it will pick up a lot of scratches (that show much more) than a sub.
If you after something different, how about the Blancpain FiftyFathoms? It fits a lot of what you are looking for.
Yeah it seems I had some misconceptions of the RO and ROO based on their appearance. I like Blancpain but it seems most of their models from the fifty fathoms line are quite large (from my perspective).

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Based on your description above, what you need is not a RO but a ROO and in particular, the ROO Ceramic Diver.
My issue it I think the ROO ceramic would wear too large for me, I'm like 5'7 150 pounds, I have found the 42mm Tudor chrono blue big enough to lose interest in buying it once it was on my wrist (seemed way bigger than my GMT!). However as I am looking for a long term (reliable and good service from the brand), high end, something that could be swam or dove with, uncomplicated, "tough" watch I would be willing to wear up to 42mm to meet my needs for the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
Aquanaut.
The Aquanaut is not a bad idea, I don't like their appearance compared to the Nautilus but its much cheaper.

I have done a little more looking around outside the RO and ROO lines and have come up with IWC Aquatimer IW3536 or IW329001, Omega Planet Ocean 2201 or 2901 (not a big fan of Omega for trying to get service in Canada no experience with other brands other than Rolex and Omega though) and as suggested above the Aquanaut 5065A. And of course what I am trying to find something comparable to, the Seadweller 16600 and Submariner 16610. The Aquanaut is triple the price while the IWCs & Omegas are slightly less than the Rolex offerings.
Old 5 January 2015, 09:45 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Truth is we all lust after what you are seeking. Some have found it in the ceramic diver, for me however it's too large and heavy. This is why I retain my sub and gmt2c.

If there was a ceramic bezel 40mm offering from AP or PP....my rolex would be on the chopping block.
Old 5 January 2015, 10:09 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would get a Sub and the 300 and wear the 300 when you won't be banging it up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2015, 02:20 PM   #13
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
I would also look at the FC diver. Or any FC ROO

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2015, 06:49 PM   #14
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
However I do want to have at least one very basic sports watch that I can be less concerned about bumping or scratching, something that I could wear in the rain or even swim with, without worry (things I would never attempt with a complicated or ultra thin dress watch).
I know you don't want those watches, but your description fits the Sub/SD perfectly. Of course the FC Diver or Ceramic Diver would be awesome, unless you think they're too big.

40mm, sturdy, go-anywhere, do-anything watch is just what it says on the Sub/SD box

You can also check the new Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial. If you don't like the PCLs, you can get Omega to brush it for you.

I would get that instead of the Cal.2500 movement based Planet Oceans you've mentioned.

One more tip: check the JLC Deep Sea Vintage Chronograph, if you don't mind having a chrono:

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/ES/e...ph/207857J#/t1
Old 5 January 2015, 08:18 PM   #15
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Have had my 15400 for a month took me less than 2 weeks to put my first ding on it on a doorway. You can either live with it or you cant,based on your original post it sounds like a Rolex or Blancpain might be a better choice.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 01:23 AM   #16
tomcorkery
"TRF" Member

Watch: ap ro 15400
have had my ro for 2 years now. wear it often and there are no real scratches and dents. I am careful with all my watches. I run with it and swim with it. Just a great watch.
tomcorkery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 01:14 PM   #17
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
A Bentley could go off road, but why take it?
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 01:51 PM   #18
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Have had my 15400 for a month took me less than 2 weeks to put my first ding on it on a doorway. You can either live with it or you cant,based on your original post it sounds like a Rolex or Blancpain might be a better choice.
Yeah I'm kind of accepting Rolex is the way I will need to go, probably a no date sub, would love to rock a Bathyscaphe but all of the blancpains are way too big for me.

Does anyone have a picture of a battle worn RO? I find Subs and SDs look better as they fade and mild dings or scratches don't really ruin their appearance.
Old 6 January 2015, 03:03 PM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Yeah I'm kind of accepting Rolex is the way I will need to go, probably a no date sub, would love to rock a Bathyscaphe but all of the blancpains are way too big for me.

Does anyone have a picture of a battle worn RO? I find Subs and SDs look better as they fade and mild dings or scratches don't really ruin their appearance.
This pic of my ROC shows a few scratches picked up over time and without me being at all rough with it. That is why ceramic bezels, both AP and Rolex, are rather highly prized.

[
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 04:18 PM   #20
applegrape
Banned

The truth is, submariner is more stronger. My ap diver have died due to running. My rolexes never had a problem. I recommend you to get the submariner date
applegrape is offline   Reply With Quote