The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2006, 06:28 AM   #1
bhrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/WG DJ jubilee
Changing a Dial face

Well I'm now in love with that dark mother of pearl Dial face so I called the AD I bought my DJ from and they tell me its not something they do in-house and get this, Rolex needs the original warranty AND a good excuse why you want it changed!!

You need to explain to them why you decided you want to change the look of the watch!!

Anyone have this experience?

Last edited by bhrees; 14 February 2006 at 06:29 AM..
bhrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2006, 07:49 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well thats Rolex USA for you they think they are God almighty. But keep plugging away its your watch,and IMO you should be able to do with it as you like.Here in the UK Rolex is a bit more flexible,with dial changes.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2006, 09:13 PM   #3
RobDad

In the UK, AD's offer a free dial-swap in the first 3 months of ownership, and I've been shown 'books' of dials to choose from - not pictures of dials mind, pages and pages of alternative dials all in little pouches, 36 to a page - there must be an endless choice!

Every time I've browsed DJ's they always bring the book out and say 'well, if you buy the watch and change your mind, pop in and we'll swap the dial in 24 hours free opf charge' - thought this was the same wherever you went?
RobDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2006, 12:19 AM   #4
bhrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/WG DJ jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDad
In the UK, AD's offer a free dial-swap in the first 3 months of ownership, and I've been shown 'books' of dials to choose from - not pictures of dials mind, pages and pages of alternative dials all in little pouches, 36 to a page - there must be an endless choice!

Every time I've browsed DJ's they always bring the book out and say 'well, if you buy the watch and change your mind, pop in and we'll swap the dial in 24 hours free opf charge' - thought this was the same wherever you went?
This could be what they are doing, just in a round about way, that probable explains why I need the paper work to be brought in, IF I'm right its a free or warranty type swap. That would explain why the sales woman told me they want a excuse why I need it done i.e: I cant read the dial or something.
thanks guys, let you know how it goes and post pictures
Old 15 February 2006, 03:39 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDad

That's pretty generous of your UK AD, Rob, but I wonder what they do with the replaced dial?

Mansor was explaining to me the other day that when a dial is inserted into the watch, it is held in place by a couple of screws which actually create a small notch into the side of the dial (this notch is out of sight and hidden under the bezel). So, just wondering...do they resell these swapped dials or merely use them as replacements for old, worn out ones.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2006, 03:44 AM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
That's pretty generous of your UK AD, Rob, but I wonder what they do with the replaced dial?

Mansor was explaining to me the other day that when a dial is inserted into the watch, it is held in place by a couple of screws which actually create a small notch into the side of the dial (this notch is out of sight and hidden under the bezel). So, just wondering...do they resell these swapped dials or merely use them as replacements for old, worn out ones.
That a good question, JJ. I know someone who just changed the dial in a DJ. He did not get his original dial back. I've seen dial's out of their cases, they extend a little past the top of the minute markers. I noticed the notches, as well, but can't recall how many there were
Old 15 February 2006, 09:46 PM   #7
RobDad

I got the impression that they'd just swap out the dial you didn't want, and put it back into their 'book of dials' - there were multiples of some, so it would make sense. The notable omission was any of the diamond - encrusted dials - apparently they have to order those in, and of course you have to pay extra. I'm sure they must re-cycle the dials, after all there shouldn't be any noticeable wear.

Wouldn't it be great if there's a similar book of dials in the rolex vaults, thousands of vintage NOS Sub dials, red subs, double red seadwellers, military dials, etc!!!!!

This must be the holy grail for Rolex fans - where's Indiana Jones when you need him!!??
Old 15 February 2006, 10:10 PM   #8
PRH
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG DD
ROBDAD, real jealous that you are in London and can visit Rolex HQ there at anytime

Did pop in there on a day off to ask about changing the dial on my DJ and they took the watch away before they would comment on the availability of the dial I wanted guess they were checking to make sure it was genuine!!

Still haven't had the dial change but off to the AD lunchtime to see what ones there are

At least now I also have the Explorer II I wont be without a Rolex when the DJ goes away for the dial change
PRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2006, 10:21 PM   #9
RobDad

Cheers!

bizarrely though, if you visit the HQ and ask them for something like a new dial (or say you wanted a new bracelet or something) they'd send you to an AD, who'd order it from the HQ, even though you're stood in front of them!!!!!

The HQ will fix things, but not change them apparently - their logic defies belief!