The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 February 2015, 09:42 AM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
can I swim with my 5712?

This might seem a stupid question to some but having spent a long time on this forum I seem to have gotten the idea from what I've read that a 60m water resistance was basically just good for washing your watch with water or calmly being in the pool or ocean but by no means enough to swim with it, maybe because if you swim energetically enough it will put water pressure on your watch that it can't stand...

Personally I always thought that even if a WR is only 10m you can basically go 10 meters under water, have I mistaken and can I swim, I mean swim normally not deep diving but not just dipping in the water, with my 5712 or if I want to swim with one of my PP's is it better to take my 5726 which has a 120m resistance?

Since I am going to I've in Thailand soon and I hate lying on the beach in the sun but love to swim do I need either to leave my 5712 at home or have the 5726 or can I without any worries go for a swim if I want to and happen to be wearing my 5712?

Again I have no intention of diving, when I swim I can sometimes go 2 or 3 meter under water but no more.

Thanks for your insights

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 10:25 AM   #2
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I would not, just to be on the safe side. I'd use your Omega for that duty.

I will say that I'm seriously contemplating getting a 5726 on bracelet (Black/Gray) and a 5712R. WR is one of my deciding factors for getting the 5726 on bracelet.

BTW, your collection is one of the reasons I'm reconsidering mine!! I've yet to own a PP and think some of my Rolexes are about to get put on notice!
rebel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 10:45 AM   #3
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
I would not, just to be on the safe side. I'd use your Omega for that duty.

I will say that I'm seriously contemplating getting a 5726 on bracelet (Black/Gray) and a 5712R. WR is one of my deciding factors for getting the 5726 on bracelet.

BTW, your collection is one of the reasons I'm reconsidering mine!! I've yet to own a PP and think some of my Rolexes are about to get put on notice!
Glad if my collecting experience was any inspiration to you, can tell you one thing haven't regretted once flipping all my pieces, Rolex included, to consolidate on only these 2, The 5712R is a real beauty and I love the 5726 on bracelet, took the one on strap as having 2 Nauts on bracelet was too much IMO, but since you want the 5712R definitely get the bracelet 5726, funny thing is that I wear my 5726 with the composite strap, not the alligator one, prefer the rubbery feel of it versus the leather.

Once I got my 5712 I couldn't wear any other watches, the comfort comparison was incredibly on the Nautilus side, even my 5726 is incredibly comfortable, whereas even my BLNR which is flatter than a sub felt like I had a tank on my wrist, the only thing which is sure is that I won't take any of my PP's to go for a drink at night since I had a bike accident the last night, ok had a few drinks too much, and scratched pretty badly my BLNR…

Anyways you're probably right, I will be working and living very close by so if I want to go to the sea I guess it would be a 10 minute ride to home and 10 minute ride to the sea…
Old 23 February 2015, 10:51 AM   #4
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
According to PrestigeTime.com, 60M wouldn't even be good to take a bath with, and you need 100M to swim. Supercompressor.com says you should minimize your exposure to water with 50M WR, but you can swim. It seems to me that 10M or more is probably best for swimming.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 11:13 AM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
According to PrestigeTime.com, 60M wouldn't even be good to take a bath with, and you need 100M to swim. Supercompressor.com says you should minimize your exposure to water with 50M WR, but you can swim. It seems to me that 10M or more is probably best for swimming.
Thanks for the info, so clearly the 5712 is not fit for any water activities, just a quick wash with warm water and soap, while the 120m of the 5726 makes it fit for swimming, would've hated to swim with it and send it to Patek and get charged I don't know how much because water got in and they need to repair the movement

I just wish they would explain that 60meters doesn't mean that you can swim with the watch…
Old 23 February 2015, 12:06 PM   #6
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
5711 is fine for swimming but 5712 is borderline. Unless brand new or recently water tested I would not.
lmcgbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 12:26 PM   #7
bg17
"TRF" Member

Please don't.
bg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 12:27 PM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post
5711 is fine for swimming but 5712 is borderline. Unless brand new or recently water tested I would not.
It's from 2012, anyways if it's borderline I won't even think of taking the risk, servicing it is one thing, repairing it because water got it no thanks...
Old 23 February 2015, 02:36 PM   #9
darma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Thanks for the info, so clearly the 5712 is not fit for any water activities, just a quick wash with warm water and soap, while the 120m of the 5726 makes it fit for swimming, would've hated to swim with it and send it to Patek and get charged I don't know how much because water got in and they need to repair the movement

I just wish they would explain that 60meters doesn't mean that you can swim with the watch…
hi lapince, 60 mts doesn't actually mean you can go 60 mts underwater either , its about water pressure, so say you dive in the pool and go only a couple of mts underwater its all about the water pressure at the time of impact in the water which could be the equivalent of 150-200 mts of pressure at impact, or to use another example the pressure on the watch just through a swim stroke going through the water.

hope that helps
regards
darren
darma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 07:25 PM   #10
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Arnaud , my friend why do you ask people who are fighting with their OCDs instead of the most relieble source regarding your Patek Philippe,the manufacturer !:-)

Here s the official letter from the HQ regarding the limits of 5712

We have well received your message on our website and thank you for the interest you show in Patek Philippe.

For your information, the Nautilus models ref. 5711/1A, 5726A, 5726/1A, 5980R & 5980/1A or 5980/1 in gold are water resistant up to 120m. The models ref. 5712 in gold, 5712/1A are water resistant up to 60m.
The water resistance is tested by air and by water and if it is mentioned 60m it means also 60 atmosphere(sic). If you swim normally with this kind of sporty watches, it is no problem, but we suggest you not to dive, nor to jump from a 3m to 10m from a spring or diving board, nor to water-ski. Moreover, the screw-down crown has to be completely fixed/screwed on its tube.

For more information, may we kindly suggest you to contact one of our official partners.

Sincerely yours,
PATEK PHILIPPE GENEVE SA
Chemin du Pont-du-Centenaire 141
CH - 1228 Plan-les-Ouates
tél. +41 22 884 20 20
fax +41 22 884 20 40
http://www.patek.com
unquote

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 07:34 PM   #11
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

Arnaud my friend, do you remember the name of this reference nautilus
You can of course swim with all Nautilus. Simple
Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 07:41 PM   #12
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Yes, a Nautilus can swim.

Most definitely.

On a more serious note, I would not recommend it. No point risk damaging such an expensive watch.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 08:26 PM   #13
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Forget the swimming, do not take a $30k+ watch to Thailand.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2015, 10:35 PM   #14
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darma View Post
hi lapince, 60 mts doesn't actually mean you can go 60 mts underwater either , its about water pressure, so say you dive in the pool and go only a couple of mts underwater its all about the water pressure at the time of impact in the water which could be the equivalent of 150-200 mts of pressure at impact, or to use another example the pressure on the watch just through a swim stroke going through the water.

hope that helps
regards
darren
Thanks Darren that's much clearer now

[QUOTE=Passionata;5635950]Arnaud , my friend why do you ask people who are fighting with their OCDs instead of the most relieble source regarding your Patek Philippe,the manufacturer !:-)

Here s the official letter from the HQ regarding the limits of 5712

We have well received your message on our website and thank you for the interest you show in Patek Philippe.

For your information, the Nautilus models ref. 5711/1A, 5726A, 5726/1A, 5980R & 5980/1A or 5980/1 in gold are water resistant up to 120m. The models ref. 5712 in gold, 5712/1A are water resistant up to 60m.
The water resistance is tested by air and by water and if it is mentioned 60m it means also 60 atmosphere(sic). If you swim normally with this kind of sporty watches, it is no problem, but we suggest you not to dive, nor to jump from a 3m to 10m from a spring or diving board, nor to water-ski. Moreover, the screw-down crown has to be completely fixed/screwed on its tube.

Thanks George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
Arnaud my friend, do you remember the name of this reference nautilus
You can of course swim with all Nautilus. Simple
Well yes my friend but both of yours are 120m, have no worries about my 5726, but as I understand now even if I can in theory swim with the 5712 have to be careful, so if I really have to it will be the Omega, nothing or the 5726, would really hate to damage the 5712, even if they fix it a broken toy even fixed has been broken and that takes out a lot of the fun IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Yes, a Nautilus can swim.

On a more serious note, I would not recommend it. No point risk damaging such an expensive watch.
I agree Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePrince View Post
Forget the swimming, do not take a $30k+ watch to Thailand.
Well I am going to be living there, so can't imagine not taking my 2 PP's there, but I am sure there are much less chances of being robbed there than in Paris, in September had my BLNR on for 1 month, went out everyday with it, and no worries, try that in Paris
Old 23 February 2015, 11:45 PM   #15
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well I am going to be living there, so can't imagine not taking my 2 PP's there, but I am sure there are much less chances of being robbed there than in Paris, in September had my BLNR on for 1 month, went out everyday with it, and no worries, try that in Paris
Well i would seriously reconsider that - both the living there (if you can) and the taking PP's there.

Thailand is as i'm sure you know currently a military dictatorship. What you might not know is that all criticism of the ruling Junta, their members, their policies etc is banned with penalties of long prison terms for dissenters. The truth of what it's like there and what's happening there is not getting out as the media simply cannot report it. And the truth is that it's far from stable and safe right now. The big cases like murders of course can't be hidden (but the investigations of them are corrupt and not to be trusted) but lower level crime is being suppressed heavily, especially when against foreigners.

The so called government, police, army and all levels of authority are completely corrupt from top to bottom. There is a huge power struggle going on between various different factions and correct rule of law and justice are pretty far from their main agendas. Powerful criminal families run the beach and island resorts with impunity and are completely untouchable by the authorities. If say someone from one of these took a liking to your PP you would lose it and there is nothing that you could do to get it back or get the taker of it to face justice.

Then there's also the fact that when the King dies which cannot be far away the whole country will likely fall into civil war and all the above issues will then seem like nothing in comparison to what will happen then.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 01:21 AM   #16
Ilovewatches
"TRF" Member

I swim often with my 5712/1a. Swimmimg, hottubs, it's never been a problem for my Watch. Hope this helps!
Ilovewatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 02:02 AM   #17
grrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Panerai
Quote:
Did you have any unfortunate episode in Paris?
grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 03:26 AM   #18
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovewatches View Post
I swim often with my 5712/1a. Swimmimg, hottubs, it's never been a problem for my Watch. Hope this helps!

Hottube,braveheart !

Tell me pls how often do you get pressure checked ?!

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 04:36 AM   #19
rolstaff
Banned

Watch: GMT
Don´t swim with it and don´t take a 30k + watch to Thailand.

You better use a Submariner or even better Sea Dweller... :-))
rolstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 05:00 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePrince View Post
Well i would seriously reconsider that - both the living there (if you can) and the taking PP's there.

Thailand is as i'm sure you know currently a military dictatorship. What you might not know is that all criticism of the ruling Junta, their members, their policies etc is banned with penalties of long prison terms for dissenters. The truth of what it's like there and what's happening there is not getting out as the media simply cannot report it. And the truth is that it's far from stable and safe right now. The big cases like murders of course can't be hidden (but the investigations of them are corrupt and not to be trusted) but lower level crime is being suppressed heavily, especially when against foreigners.

Then there's also the fact that when the King dies which cannot be far away the whole country will likely fall into civil war and all the above issues will then seem like nothing in comparison to what will happen then.
Thanks for the advice mate but you know I lived 8 years in Odessa Ukraine, just came back from there 5 days ago, and there is really a civil war there, I was in Odessa March 2nd 2014 when more than 100 people were killed by the nazi group "Pravy Sektor", that are, since that day not anymore, supported by the US and EU, so I know that kind of country and those situations, as long as you mind your business, are careful you don't have more chances of something happening to you than in Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrr View Post
Did you have any unfortunate episode in Paris?
Well I was mugged by 3 guys when I was 16, took my walkman and my jacket, and Benlee was mugged in the metro there 3 years ago…

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolstaff View Post
Don´t swim with it and don´t take a 30k + watch to Thailand.

You better use a Submariner or even better Sea Dweller... :-))
Well since I'm going to be working there can't imagine being without my watches
Old 24 February 2015, 05:21 AM   #21
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
I swim with mine all the time !
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 05:56 AM   #22
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

No. Was told by the AD- don't even shower with it.
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 06:49 AM   #23
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtalk View Post
No. Was told by the AD- don't even shower with it.
Well I don't shower with it but do wash it in warm water with soap…

Did you ever take a PP on one of your expeditions? I know you usually take your expII but would be really cool if you did. What PP do you have?

Old 24 February 2015, 06:58 AM   #24
de66
"TRF" Member

Here is my two cents. I never shower with any of my watches.
When they test for water proofness they use "normal" water.
When you add soap, the surface tension of water changes and water becomes "more liquid than it actually is". Watches are not tested for waterproofness in soapy water...
Salt water has a different, larger molecular structure than normal water so I have no reservations of swimming in salt water with any warerproof watch. Just rinse in tap water afterward. I dove twenty meters deep with a Tag6000 that was 200m waterproof so without knowing at the time I must have been very close to or over its certification limits.
If your Nautilus has its seals/warerproofness regularly checked I dont see why you cant normally swim with it. That would defeat its purpose IMHO.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 07:02 AM   #25
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Here is my two cents. I never shower with any of my watches.
When they test for water proofness they use "normal" water.
When you add soap, the surface tension of water changes and water becomes "more liquid than it actually is". Watches are not tested for waterproofness in soapy water...
Salt water has a different, larger molecular structure than normal water so I have no reservations of swimming in salt water with any warerproof watch. Just rinse in tap water afterward. I dove twenty meters deep with a Tag6000 that was 200m waterproof so without knowing at the time I must have been very close to or over its certification limits.
If your Nautilus has its seals/warerproofness regularly checked I dont see why you cant normally swim with it. That would defeat its purpose IMHO.
Interesting about the "soapy" water thing, in fact I never bathe or shower with any of my watches, but I do wash them gently with soap when I start to see black marks on my wrist due to dirt or sweat accumulating in the bracelet but I try to be careful, I don't run the water strongly on the watch, just very gently and only warm water, never hot...
Old 24 February 2015, 07:20 AM   #26
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting about the "soapy" water thing, in fact I never bathe or shower with any of my watches, but I do wash them gently with soap when I start to see black marks on my wrist due to dirt or sweat accumulating in the bracelet but I try to be careful, I don't run the water strongly on the watch, just very gently and only warm water, never hot...
I use a toothbrush with some detergent, or hand or facial soap, taking care not to submerge the watch in the detergent water and very carefully brush where the case and strap meet.

The soapy water thing: any good/well trained construction worker can tell you: nowadays they use additives to add to the water used for making cement to make the water more liquid. So it still acts the same way as regular water, but you need to use slightly less of it and the cement ends up stronger. In the old days they added a bit of detergent to get the same effect, which still works today as well.

Dont ask me more than that though.... I am not that well trained contruction worker...
But think of osmosis treatment to desalinate water.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 07:45 AM   #27
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Hmmmm. I won't even wear my 5712/1a if it's raining out.

Okay, in all seriousness, if I know I'm going to be poolside or at the ocean, well, that's why I have the SDc...and now my new 5167!
nyc2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 07:45 AM   #28
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post

Okay, in all seriousness, if I know I'm going to be poolside or at the ocean, well, that's why I have the SDc...and now my new 5167!
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2015, 08:04 AM   #29
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post

Well I guess I'll wear more my 5726 if there's a chance of me swimming that day, as I said I'll live/work very close and very close to the sea so can always come home to change watches, with 120m the 5726 will do just fine IMO, or my old seamaster which I think is made for that, the wife still wants me to get a sub no date, I thought maybe Rolex expI in 39mm, good to swim with and much lighter than the sub, still have 4 months to decide, Omega (no money to put since already have it and no worries about damaging it), expI (light sports watch), or sub non date (the coolest of the 3 but afraid I won't find it comfortable since I'm now used to Pateks' comfort and light weight)
Old 24 February 2015, 08:30 AM   #30
Dtroy
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM.
I did shower with mine.
Dtroy is offline   Reply With Quote