The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 March 2015, 12:53 AM   #1
onthemoney
"TRF" Member

Service cost on AP? - Just things to consider before a purchase. (input appreciated)

Hey guys.
So before I make any decision on this beautiful 15450, which IMO is a perfect fit for my wrists, I have a few questions.
I generally am very careful with my watches, and I am aware that the AP RO is very prone to scratches, and I would I assume knowing how I am, I will probably want to service her every few years. How much does a service generally cost?

I assume if there is a deep ding on the bezel, it would have to be changed. Would this literally cost a fortune?

Lastly. Would you think this is a good idea for a second watch?
First being a Rolex GMT.

Input is appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.JPG (101.6 KB, 1923 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.JPG (73.4 KB, 1915 views)
onthemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 01:36 AM   #2
ralpie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The AP RO is an incredible watch. You can stare at the bevels and facets for hours. If you are careful, it won't get scratched up too bad.

I sent mine in for service last year, it is a fortune. They refinished my bezel to perfect-If you scratch it deep though, a new bezel runs about $800.

What bothered me is that no independents are able to service it because AP won't sell them the parts anymore. The price they charge in my view is very high.

I sent them a stainless Royal Oak chrono- the price for a service, a refinish (no deep scratches except 2 moderate ones on the bezel) and new screws for the bezel came to a staggering $1836 +tax. They did a really great job and the watch looks and runs like brand new, but come on... if I hadn't bought it used-knowing it needed a service, I would've felt a bit burned despite the excellent job.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 02:23 AM   #3
onthemoney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpie View Post
The AP RO is an incredible watch. You can stare at the bevels and facets for hours. If you are careful, it won't get scratched up too bad.

I sent mine in for service last year, it is a fortune. They refinished my bezel to perfect-If you scratch it deep though, a new bezel runs about $800.

What bothered me is that no independents are able to service it because AP won't sell them the parts anymore. The price they charge in my view is very high.

I sent them a stainless Royal Oak chrono- the price for a service, a refinish (no deep scratches except 2 moderate ones on the bezel) and new screws for the bezel came to a staggering $1836 +tax. They did a really great job and the watch looks and runs like brand new, but come on... if I hadn't bought it used-knowing it needed a service, I would've felt a bit burned despite the excellent job.
Dang. That is a little bit crazy to say the least.
Every how often would you say it need a service for the movement generally?
I understand the servicing for aesthetics (scratches/dings) depends on the individual, but what about the movement?
onthemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 02:55 AM   #4
breitlingherst
"TRF" Member

Watch: Richard Mille...
The manufacture usually recommends service every 3-5 years I believe, and frequent water resistance checks if the watch is frequently exposed to water.

But in reality, I don't service the watch UNLESS it clearly needs a service; watch running very slow/fast, function no longer working, etc.
breitlingherst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 04:14 AM   #5
Sevada84
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/AP RO/SMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemoney View Post
Hey guys.
So before I make any decision on this beautiful 15450, which IMO is a perfect fit for my wrists, I have a few questions.
I generally am very careful with my watches, and I am aware that the AP RO is very prone to scratches, and I would I assume knowing how I am, I will probably want to service her every few years. How much does a service generally cost?

I assume if there is a deep ding on the bezel, it would have to be changed. Would this literally cost a fortune?

Lastly. Would you think this is a good idea for a second watch?
First being a Rolex GMT.

Input is appreciated!
Can't comment on the service costs, since I haven't sent mine in yet, but in regards to the second watch question....The 15400 and GMT compliment each other very well ...mine say hi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150212_001002_1.jpg (130.0 KB, 1863 views)
Sevada84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 04:40 AM   #6
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Service costs are expensive as noted above. I passed on the new bezel too. I'm not convinced that it scratches any more easily than any other polished steel watch but you will scratch it. But it can always be polished at the time of service if you wish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 04:54 AM   #7
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
i have yet to send in my AP for service. I am guessing for only service and Polish I am budgeting $1200.00

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 05:42 AM   #8
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
I have an AP as my second watch and I don't think it scratches any worse than my Rolex DJII. Just be careful as I'm sure you are and you will be fine.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 05:06 PM   #9
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
This is my pair and I think they are both tough to beat.

Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2015, 05:10 PM   #10
rolexington
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sun
Quote:

If I am not mistaken bezel screws are what gets expensive as they are white gold.
rolexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 02:05 PM   #11
herbalt
"TRF" Member

Yes, new bezel screws are going to push up the price because they are 18k. But also, servicing a chrono is always going to be pricier than a 3-hander with date.
herbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2015, 03:23 PM   #12
Jeffa32
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II
Please could a ROC owner advise on the cost of a service?

Thanks
Old 18 May 2015, 10:55 PM   #13
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Service cost on AP? - Just things to consider before a purchase. (input appre...

It's like buying a Ferrari and complaining about the gas mileage.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2015, 11:16 PM   #14
leisen
"TRF" Member

My 15300 was going fast, sometimes much and sometimes just a little. I sent it to an AP Boutique (Madrid) for repair. No polish or aesthetic works needed. The total cost, included taxes, was 1.050 euros.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2015, 11:16 PM   #15
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2015, 04:40 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post
Gotta pay to play in the fast lane.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2015, 05:05 AM   #17
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
I sent them a stainless Royal Oak chrono- the price for a service, a refinish (no deep scratches except 2 moderate ones on the bezel) and new screws for the bezel came to a staggering $1836 +tax. They did a really great job and the watch looks and runs like brand new, but come on...
I don't get why almost every time an RO owner talks about service they change the screws on the bezel, which pushes the prices way up, in theory you don't spend your time screwing and unscrewing them so why they need to be replaced is a mystery to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexington View Post
If I am not mistaken bezel screws are what gets expensive as they are white gold.
Yep, I heard around 3-400, maybe more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisen View Post
My 15300 was going fast, sometimes much and sometimes just a little. I sent it to an AP Boutique (Madrid) for repair. No polish or aesthetic works needed. The total cost, included taxes, was 1.050 euros.
That's normal, more or less a service for a Patek 5711 is 1200 euros as I heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Or you buy a watch and flip it when it's time for service and you buy a new one
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2015, 05:21 AM   #18
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2015, 08:32 AM   #19
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I don't get why almost every time an RO owner talks about service they change the screws on the bezel, which pushes the prices way up, in theory you don't spend your time screwing and unscrewing them so why they need to be replaced is a mystery to me

My suspicion is that they are like stretch bolts in a car. Can only be used and installed once. 18K Gold is still rather soft, and I suspect they can't be reused. Per AP. Whether that is true in reality, is a whole other story.
rozyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2015, 12:11 AM   #20
Zpeedbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
That 15450 looks good for your wrist size. Anything bigger would be too big IMHO. Here's my blue faced 15300 and one of my GMTs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.8 KB, 1222 views)

Sea-Dweller, Explorer II, IWC Flieger Chronograph, AP Royal Oak
Zpeedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2015, 01:05 AM   #21
sgwatch
"TRF" Member

If you think AP service is expensive, don't buy a Journe or Richard Mille. Both seem to start service at about $2,500 to $3,000, just to service a time only watch!
sgwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2015, 01:45 AM   #22
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatch View Post
If you think AP service is expensive, don't buy a Richard Mille. Both seem to start service at about $2,500 to $3,000, just to service a time only watch!
Just a note...if you can afford a six figure watch the service price is probably not an issue
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2015, 08:24 AM   #23
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatch View Post
If you think AP service is expensive, don't buy a Journe or Richard Mille. Both seem to start service at about $2,500 to $3,000, just to service a time only watch!
Seriously even if you have the chrono bleu from FPJ? I was considering one for the future, you just erased it from the list, it's not the problem of the price itself, but paying 12-15% of the watch's retail price for a service, not for me

For my 5712 I expect the service to be around 5-7% of the retail price, it's ok, but 15% is crazy IMO
Old 20 May 2015, 08:27 AM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozyd View Post
My suspicion is that they are like stretch bolts in a car. Can only be used and installed once. 18K Gold is still rather soft, and I suspect they can't be reused. Per AP. Whether that is true in reality, is a whole other story.
Thanks, I guess you are right it seems logical