The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 June 2015, 06:16 AM   #1
capitanfrugales
"TRF" Member

Oyster Bracelet Maintenance

I always wondered how to best preserve the functionality of an Oyster Band.

The band is a set of links interconnected via roller bearings that, as far as I know, are not lubricated! I don't quite understand how metal on metal is supposed to last that way: bearing surfaces in constant, though minimal, motion should wear out if not lubricated, which eventually will increasing the play between the links.

Does Rolex suggest lubrication as part or periodic maintenance? Or is the lube-less linking of the bracelet's moving parts planned obsolescence?

The reason I ask: I want to throw my Stainless Steel Oyster Band band in an ultrasonic cleaner (what solvent would be best?) but am wondering whether I may remove some permanent lubricant in the process, and, if so, how to replenish the lubricant.

Any hints for best bracelet maintenance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CF
capitanfrugales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2015, 06:18 AM   #2
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
There is no lubrication used on the (Oyster) bracelets so no worries when cleaning with the ultra sonic.
Old 12 June 2015, 06:20 AM   #3
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
No lubricant. Unsealed lubricant attracts dirt. Dirt and goo will act like sandpaper.

Drop ONLY the bracelet in an ultrasonic cleaner ever couple weeks or just use a soft toothbrush and mild soap. My oyster bracelet is 30 years old and still fine
Old 12 June 2015, 06:23 AM   #4
capitanfrugales
"TRF" Member

May I ask what solvent you use in the ultrasonic cleaner? I was thinking acetone.
capitanfrugales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2015, 06:23 AM   #5
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
The best way to preserve it is to take it off and put a nato/leather/rubber strap on it.
Second best is to take some soap/veraet and toothbrush to it once a week and put it (bracelet only) in an ultra sonic once every month or so.
Best of luck
Old 12 June 2015, 06:50 AM   #6
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitanfrugales View Post
I always wondered how to best preserve the functionality of an Oyster Band.

The band is a set of links interconnected via roller bearings that, as far as I know, are not lubricated! I don't quite understand how metal on metal is supposed to last that way: bearing surfaces in constant, though minimal, motion should wear out if not lubricated, which eventually will increasing the play between the links.

Does Rolex suggest lubrication as part or periodic maintenance? Or is the lube-less linking of the bracelet's moving parts planned obsolescence?

The reason I ask: I want to throw my Stainless Steel Oyster Band band in an ultrasonic cleaner (what solvent would be best?) but am wondering whether I may remove some permanent lubricant in the process, and, if so, how to replenish the lubricant.

Any hints for best bracelet maintenance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CF
There are no bearings or the sort in an Oyster bracelet. Also no lubrication is needed. Best way to take care of a bracelet is CLEANLINESS. Wear it properly fitted(not sloppy) and clean it with Dawn or similar and an old soft bristle tooth brush. Blot dry with a terrycloth hand towel. Nothing more. Simple.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2015, 11:14 AM   #7
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

I have worn my only watch everyday for almost 29 years. It is a Rolex SS OP with of course an Oyster bracelet and I don't ever wear it in the shower nor have I ever cleaned it in anyway. I have had no issues with it.

Unless you are exposing your watch to corrosive materials or abrasive particles, I don't see any cause for concern. Perhaps my skin oils and/or skin flakes keeps it lubricated.

I don't understand all the fuss that people go through in bracelet maintenance.
Shore Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2015, 11:39 AM   #8
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Guy View Post
I have worn my only watch everyday for almost 29 years. It is a Rolex SS OP with of course an Oyster bracelet and I don't ever wear it in the shower nor have I ever cleaned it in anyway. I have had no issues with it.

Unless you are exposing your watch to corrosive materials or abrasive particles, I don't see any cause for concern. Perhaps my skin oils and/or skin flakes keeps it lubricated.

I don't understand all the fuss that people go through in bracelet maintenance.
Have you ever had the movement serviced ? If yes, how many times. I'd like to see a picture of the bracelet
Old 12 June 2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

No Maintenance in 28 1/2 Years

Quote:
I purchased my Rolex SS OP (ND) new in November 1986 and have never had it cleaned, oiled, or adjusted ever. The watch when purchased gained about 7 seconds/day as I recall and now averages about 15 seconds/day gain.

I reset it every week about 50 seconds behind. Thus it's off by no more than 50 seconds during the week which is good enough for me.

I consider it a really good tool watch which I have worn every day during the last 28.5 years except for a 3 week hospitaliztion and recovery. It is my only watch. I have never worn it in the water.

Any comments?
I wrote this a few months ago. Watch still performing well with no maintenance.
Old 12 June 2015, 11:56 AM   #10
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

Additional Comment

The thread contains two pictures, one includes a not very good picture of the bracelet, mainly the clasp. The picture uploading required the assistance of a neighbor and I don't wish to bother her again for a better bracelet picture.
Old 14 June 2015, 05:22 AM   #11
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
attempt
Unsuccessful attempt to copy over pictures of my no maintenance in 28 1/2 years watch.

Last edited by Shore Guy; 14 June 2015 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: Pictures didn't copy over.
Old 14 June 2015, 05:39 AM   #12
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
wash it as you wash your hands ,,, jobs a good un.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2015, 06:30 AM   #13
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Like my Ad's service mgr. said "for best results wash all nightly with hand soap and warm water. Dry with cotton towel".
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 11:21 PM   #14
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitanfrugales View Post
May I ask what solvent you use in the ultrasonic cleaner? I was thinking acetone.
When I bought my ultrasonic cleaner on Amazon, they "recommended" cleaners to go with it. It's just a strong soap, basically. I'd suggest that acetone may be a bit too harsh. It may not hurt to do it once, but if you do it repeatedly, I can imagine that it would have some harmful influence on the finish.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 11:30 PM   #15
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
I use warm water, dish washing liquid and a little ammonia in my ultrasonic cleaner, works great on the wife's bobbles and my bracelets
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 12:13 AM   #16
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wrote this a few months ago. Watch still performing well with no maintenance.
Quote:
The thread contains two pictures, one includes a not very good picture of the bracelet, mainly the clasp. The picture uploading required the assistance of a neighbor and I don't wish to bother her again for a better bracelet picture.
Quote:
Unsuccessful attempt to copy over pictures of my no maintenance in 28 1/2 years watch.
No worries dude, I've managed to search the thread you started. It was an excellent read.

To those who wanna see his pics mentioned above it's here
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...=402387&page=4
wdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 12:27 AM   #17
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
If you really want to go ultrasonic, warm water and a squirt of hand soap in the ultrasonic cleaner and you're good to go.

For the past several months, I've been skipping the ultrasonic & just using hand soap, water and, every couple of weeks, a soft bristled toothbrush & seems to be just as clean and shiny afterwards.

Now that I wear a "no holes" case watch more frequently, taking the head off for ultrasound seems to be more trouble than it's worth. I can wash without finding any tools and no need to worry about scratching the back of the case.
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 12:39 AM   #18
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
The new design oyster bracelets have been out around a decade on some models, I think. They seem pretty indestructible to me. I'm not aware of seeing any (of the newer style) with any wear.

Recommended technique:

Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 01:06 AM   #19
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

is that the newly released from basel Rolex paint proof band the "oyster-paint"??
Oyster Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 01:23 AM   #20
jhe888
"TRF" Member

Acetone wouldn't hurt a stainless bracelet, but it might hurt you, any paint or plastic you spill it on, your ulatrasonic cleaner . . .

Just a little soap or ammonia in the ultrasonic, but I am like those who think that taking the watch off the bracelet is more trouble than it is worth. I just wash the bracelet with a little dishwashing soap and an old, soft toothbrush every so often. They can get crusty sweat and skin and dirt, so a little washing is a good idea.

I wondered about lubrication, but I decided I agree with those who think that any oil will just glom some grit in between the pin and the link, accelerating wear. Oil doesn't last very long anyway.
jhe888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 01:59 AM   #21
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Just keep it clean and with a good fit. That's it.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 02:04 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You have all the advice needed. I just wash with dish soap and sift tooth brush once a week or so. Veraet maybe once a month.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 11:35 AM   #23
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

Thanks Wdin for supplying link to page of my thread showing pictures of my no maintenance in 28 1/2 years watch. Just scroll down to pictures.