The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 August 2015, 08:53 AM   #1
520lux
"TRF" Member

GUCCI swiss made automatic watches

I have a Question for you all. Any thoughts on the GUCCI swiss made automatic watches. They seem to be priced around $2000 +

I recently purchased one and just received it. From my first impression it looks very top quality and not cheaply made like some other designer brand watches.

I have a return period and thought I would ask here just in case someone has had experience with these watches before and would like to add there knowledge.

Here is a picture of the watch

Gucci Watch by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Thanks again.
520lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 09:19 PM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Just a few thoughts.

Gucci is a designer brand with absolutely no credibility in the field of luxury watches. In fact the Gucci label is just that, god knows who actually made the watch. That being said the money you spent you would have practically no way of recouping any of it if you decided you no longer wanted it. However this wont matter in the long run if you plan on keeping the watch forever.

Have you checked to see what kind of movement it uses and if it's possible to get a service, where it can be done, and how much it will cost. All mechanical watches at some point will require a service.

Personally I would never have spent that much on a designer brand watch when there are so many other better options out there. However this wasn't my money and this isn't my watch.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 09:46 PM   #3
520lux
"TRF" Member

They use a ETA Valjoux 7750 movement.

http://www.guccitimeless.com/en/watc...tic-slim-large

Is this a good movement?
Old 8 August 2015, 09:59 PM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 520lux View Post
They use a ETA Valjoux 7750 movement.

http://www.guccitimeless.com/en/watc...tic-slim-large

Is this a good movement?
Yes, yes it is.

Very good movement, and you should have no problem whatsoever getting this watch serviced.

Its the brand that will retain no value whatsoever and it has no history or meaning. If these things have no meaning to you, you like the watch, and have no intention of reselling it later then I say keep the watch.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 August 2015, 10:17 PM   #5
520lux
"TRF" Member

The reason I bought this watch was because I'm a fan of Gucci. When I found out they had automatic watches I started looking at them. I came across this model and thought it looked pretty nice. I didn't think of resale value a at the time. I did a little research and came across a few sites that said how good they were and had good movements in them and that Gucci uses a Swiss company to make there Swiss made automatics. I can't remember the the name off hand. From my readings that was supposed to be a good thing.

I was looking to have something I could wear that was a little different. Rolex is nice and I like a lot however many people have them and I never see anyone using a Gucci Swiss made automatic. Hahaha maybe there is a reason I don't see them hahaha. Maybe not as desirable don't know.

However having a watch that cost so much it is important to me that it will last for years and keep good time. GUCCI is probably one of the most know. Designer brands out there and maybe it will have some resale value. I'll have to decide if I keep it or not.
Old 8 August 2015, 10:32 PM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

it just depends on what your looking for. Keep in mind that even watch brands with credibility have watch models where they don't do so well at retaining so much of their value and some of these will cost much more than yours. For some this is important and others not as much. For some history is important and others not so much. For some the movement means more with regards to whether it's in house or not. But when I spend the money your spending I like to take some time and know exactly what my options are first. This doesn't mean I won't make the same choice, it just means that I will have a better idea what my options are and what I am actually getting.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 August 2015, 10:34 PM   #7
Israguard
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your new watch. You can service it and YOU LIKE IT.. This is what is most important.
Here on TRF there are a lot of highly knowledgeable people that will also help you out with pleasure. However, designer watches are not liked nor respected here and I fully understand the knowledgeable members and their concerns.

We won't live forever and chances are the watch will outlive you provided you take good care of it. It's a $2000 purchase and not $20000.

So enjoy your new watch and wear it in good health.
Israguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 10:40 PM   #8
520lux
"TRF" Member

Good feedback. I will take this into consideration. I usually do much more research before buying anything but this time I pulled the trigger to fast. At least I can return it should I reconsider.
Old 8 August 2015, 10:53 PM   #9
Israguard
"TRF" Member

I took another closer look at your watch.. Looks very nice frankly..
Israguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2015, 11:13 PM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

The thing is for some the watch they chose they chose for more than looks and more than the ability to service. For some because they try but sometimes fail, they chose it because it means something more to them, they often try to make the choice of a lifetime.

Then again some chose just because of looks, or resell, or other reasons. It just depends on what your looking for.

There's plenty of information as well as opinion here, have a look if you so chose. This may very well be the watch for you. But whatever you chose, Good Luck.

Cheers,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 9 August 2015, 05:51 AM   #11
520lux
"TRF" Member

Once again great input. I like this watch its classy but yet sporty. The weight is very good. Pretty heavy which I prefer. I guess I have gotten use to heavier watches.

Im going to test it for a bit and have until Sept 4 to decide whether I keep it return it. Funny Im also looking to purchase an explorer II and could use the money towards that.
Old 9 August 2015, 07:08 AM   #12
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
The explorer is a better investment- in other words, if you don't like that in a few years (as opposed to weeks) chances are good you'll get your money back and maybe even make a few bucks.

I'd go that route but fully respect your decision to have something you just never see out in the wild.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2015, 09:50 AM   #13
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
tbh gucci is not perceived as desirable in certain circles. it may be well received in others but i can tell you I've never seen any gucci in a board meeting.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2015, 03:15 PM   #14
520lux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
tbh gucci is not perceived as desirable in certain circles. it may be well received in others but i can tell you I've never seen any gucci in a board meeting.

Yeah I can see that. I know Rolex is probably the most iconic watch and yeah would assume that most executives would be wearing a Rolex.

inpersonaly like the Gucci brand and wear it along with other designer brands. I was looking to have something a little different that would flow with what I wear.
Old 9 August 2015, 04:59 PM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I would prefer any watch like Tissot and others that are not expensive rather than a designer watch, like others said no credibility or history or resale, and those are 3 things I want when I buy a timepiece, but it's your money, not mine, if you really like it do what sings to you
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2015, 08:34 PM   #16
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I would prefer any watch like Tissot and others that are not expensive rather than a designer watch, like others said no credibility or history or resale, and those are 3 things I want when I buy a timepiece, but it's your money, not mine, if you really like it do what sings to you
x2

Especially since you are saving for the Exo II - $2k is a pretty descent chunk of that purchase.

But reading your posts, you seem pretty convinced that you want and like the watch, ao enjoy it.