The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 September 2015, 06:10 AM   #1
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Deciding on next acquisition....

We ALL know how much FUN the hunt is for the next piece to add to the collection...here is my "predicament", if you will.

I think I have pretty much decided that I REALLY want a ROC to go along with my DIVER...Now...here's the thing. After researching, looking around I'm thinking I want to wait for AP to release the in house chrono movement.

Only thing about that is...who knows when that'll be...

Face it...I think we all know that when on the hunt for the new watch...you can only hold out so long!

Just thought I'd see what everyone's thoughts were.

Cheers all
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 06:42 AM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
We ALL know how much FUN the hunt is for the next piece to add to the collection...here is my "predicament", if you will.

I think I have pretty much decided that I REALLY want a ROC to go along with my DIVER...Now...here's the thing. After researching, looking around I'm thinking I want to wait for AP to release the in house chrono movement.

Only thing about that is...who knows when that'll be...

Face it...I think we all know that when on the hunt for the new watch...you can only hold out so long!

Just thought I'd see what everyone's thoughts were.

Cheers all
I would definitely wait, for any watch 10K or above I want to have a see through case back, which the ROC will have only when they make an in-house movement, so I would definitely wait, at least until the next SIHH or Basel, don't remember at which one AP releases their new models, if this year there won't be then see what to do, but as I said I would wait, if you really can't in this case get a mint one for a good price and when they do release the see through case back flip the old one to get the new, of course if you don't care for see through back then who cares, but I love seeing a cool movement
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 07:11 AM   #3
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

They may unveil one at SIHH or they may not. If they do, they won't even trickle around for a yr from now. Do you really wanna wait that long??? Grab one, you can always trade it up IF they come out with it, and IF you like it.
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
They may unveil one at SIHH or they may not. If they do, they won't even trickle around for a yr from now. Do you really wanna wait that long??? Grab one, you can always trade it up IF they come out with it, and IF you like it.

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 08:55 AM   #5
RHIII

My thing right now is that I REALLY like the panda dial (H series) and the classic nature of the 39 mm chrono - which is making me want to go that route.

If I can find a really good one. Have some folks on the lookout...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 September 2015, 09:01 AM   #6
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
My thing right now is that I REALLY like the panda dial (H series) and the classic nature of the 39 mm chrono - which is making me want to go that route.

If I can find a really good one. Have some folks on the lookout...

If its a specific dial you're after, then DEF grab it now if you find one. They may not even offer a Panda dial when/if they intro a new model. Remember, no Panda is available for the newer 41mm ROC.
Old 28 September 2015, 09:02 AM   #7
RHIII

Quote:
If its a specific dial you're after, then DEF grab it now if you find one. They may not even offer a Panda dial when/if they intro a new model. Remember, no Panda is available for the newer 41mm ROC.

True, true

Old 28 September 2015, 09:06 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It would be nice to see the movement but after seeing the Dato Up/down's simply amazing one even the PP 5170's looked pretty dull so I'd just go for what looks best on your wrist, that watch has ruined most backs for me now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 09:14 AM   #9
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It would be nice to see the movement but after seeing the Dato Up/down's simply amazing one even the PP 5170's looked pretty dull so I'd just go for what looks best on your wrist, that watch has ruined most backs for me now.
Haha, great point, Neil!
Old 28 September 2015, 11:48 AM   #10
bzabodyn
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek / AP / Rolex

Crappy pic but they are a great combo together - if it tells you anything, Diver is gone but the Panda ROC remains

BZ
bzabodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 12:17 PM   #11
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzabodyn View Post

Crappy pic but they are a great combo together - if it tells you anything, Diver is gone but the Panda ROC remains

BZ

👍

Old 28 September 2015, 06:04 PM   #12
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I wouldn't wait.
Old 28 September 2015, 10:17 PM   #13
csi-n
"TRF" Member

Life is too short Roger, no need to wait.

Sam
csi-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 11:26 PM   #14
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
+1. Any new inhouse ROC is going to take time to come to market, and most likely boutique exclusive which means minimal or no discount.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 11:39 PM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
That's for sure Neil, if you have a datograph movement to look at you don't really care about seeing any other movement, it takes care of all your daily movement needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
+1. Any new inhouse ROC is going to take time to come to market, and most likely boutique exclusive which means minimal or no discount.
Well that depends, I got my CE diver which is also boutique exclusive with 10% off, it probably is possible just it's who you talk to, I talked to the director, a TRF member here called them for a 15400 and talked to a SP well they were willing to do 0000% on the 15400 which is a piece on which they always do, especially I seem to remember he didn't even want the boutique blue dial but a black or white….
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2015, 12:42 AM   #16
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Quote:
just go with this mans advice its straight to the point, the only thing you would be able to see it the golden rotor and balance wheel pretty much the same thing on every AP with a case back
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2015, 01:04 AM   #17
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
That's for sure Neil, if you have a datograph movement to look at you don't really care about seeing any other movement, it takes care of all your daily movement needs

Well that depends, I got my CE diver which is also boutique exclusive with 10% off, it probably is possible just it's who you talk to, I talked to the director, a TRF member here called them for a 15400 and talked to a SP well they were willing to do 0000% on the 15400 which is a piece on which they always do, especially I seem to remember he didn't even want the boutique blue dial but a black or white….
I am talking in general and not your one-off experience. Most AP boutiques generally speaking discount much less or even give no discount at all compared to ADs. Its a different business model where again, generally speaking, boutique offer higher prices but some added perks and extra like free gifts and longer warranty which may or may not appeal to some buyers. Even their base price already varies from country to country due to currency differences or how well they can or want to sell.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2015, 04:18 AM   #18
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Is price a consideration too? If so, grab a 39mm Panda. With the 41mm ROC being mid 20's, an in house will prolly be 30k or so. That's a HUGE price difference!
Old 29 September 2015, 11:48 AM   #19
daytonaTBR
"TRF" Member

I have the ROC panda dial and it's a nice one indeed but if I could do it over I would have gotten the 15202. Mainly because of the solid caseback on the ROC and the very uncomfortable clasp.
daytonaTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2015, 12:49 PM   #20
RHIII

Quote:
Is price a consideration too? If so, grab a 39mm Panda. With the 41mm ROC being mid 20's, an in house will prolly be 30k or so. That's a HUGE price difference!
Not really. BUT that's a really good point - if an in house movement would/could be at that price point - it would probably broaden my choices to include some other pieces as well...

Old 29 September 2015, 12:54 PM   #21
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw15 View Post
I have the ROC panda dial and it's a nice one indeed but if I could do it over I would have gotten the 15202. Mainly because of the solid caseback on the ROC and the very uncomfortable clasp.
Interesting. What is uncomfortable about the clasp-compared to the new one?
Old 29 September 2015, 01:26 PM   #22
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I think he is referring to the asymmetrical clasp of the older ROCs like the 25860s and 26300s. It can be tricky getting the fit just right because of the asymmetry and relative inflexibility of the bracelet. But after a couple attempts with a 1.5 link, I love my 25860 and it is very comfortable. As for the 26300 Pandas, I've seen a couple recently for sale. And if you like the larger 41mm case, there's a limited edition Tribute to Italy ROC that has a Panda-like dial for sale as well.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2015, 10:42 PM   #23
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I think he is referring to the asymmetrical clasp of the older ROCs like the 25860s and 26300s. It can be tricky getting the fit just right because of the asymmetry and relative inflexibility of the bracelet. But after a couple attempts with a 1.5 link, I love my 25860 and it is very comfortable. As for the 26300 Pandas, I've seen a couple recently for sale. And if you like the larger 41mm case, there's a limited edition Tribute to Italy ROC that has a Panda-like dial for sale as well.

Makes sense.

I did see the tribute to Italy ROC. It is quite nice --- I've seen a couple - but none on the bracelet.

Old 30 September 2015, 02:35 AM   #24
prsdoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
I had the same consideration you did prior to picking up my ROC. I like the idea of a sapphire caseback to view the movement, as well as an in-house movement, but it's really not a deal-breaker to me. I wanted something I could enjoy now, and I don't mind flipping in the future. As long as you purchase properly, the depreciation can be tolerable.

The ROC was redesigned in 2012, so perhaps there's a update coming soon, perhaps not. Maybe someone with more connections can elaborate. I do believe that there aren't too many high-end brands that produce in-house chronos (Patek, ALS come to mind). If AP is making good money using the Piguet 1185 movement, they may continue to do so. Usually only WIS care about such things.

Bottom line, enjoy your search and process of acquiring your next piece! My rec is to just do it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2881.jpg (107.6 KB, 139 views)
prsdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 02:42 AM   #25
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdoc View Post
I had the same consideration you did prior to picking up my ROC. I like the idea of a sapphire caseback to view the movement, as well as an in-house movement, but it's really not a deal-breaker to me. I wanted something I could enjoy now, and I don't mind flipping in the future. As long as you purchase properly, the depreciation can be tolerable.

The ROC was redesigned in 2012, so perhaps there's a update coming soon, perhaps not. Maybe someone with more connections can elaborate. I do believe that there aren't too many high-end brands that produce in-house chronos (Patek, ALS come to mind). If AP is making good money using the Piguet 1185 movement, they may continue to do so. Usually only WIS care about such things.

Bottom line, enjoy your search and process of acquiring your next piece! My rec is to just do it!
Is that YG or RG? The YG looks great!
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 02:56 AM   #26
prsdoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
RG, just poor lighting under the office fluorescents! Better shot in the sun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2882.jpg (88.1 KB, 133 views)
prsdoc is offline   Reply With Quote