The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 June 2008, 05:06 AM   #1
jm433
"TRF" Member

Rolex Service

I recently purchased a GMT-Master II ref 16710 with coke bezel. My first Rolex and a very striking watch. It is a 1991 model and has tritium hands. The luminosity has faded and the hands have acquired a greyish patina. It also runs about 14 seconds fast per day. I'm thinking of having the hands replaced and the watch serviced by Rolex through a local AD. I understand that Rolex can take a long time and be pretty expensive. I was thinking about having it serviced at cape town diamonds or another reputable servicer instead.

Anybody had positive or negative experiences with cape town diamonds? Recommendations for other independent servicers? Or should I just stick with Rolex?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Cheers
jm433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 05:10 AM   #2
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Welcome to TRF!

Most people around here stick with a Rolex Service Center (RSC) when it comes to servicing their watches. Yes, they aren't cheap, however your watch will look and run like new when it's returned. Plus, you'll get a 1yr Rolex warranty with the service.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Hi,
I am in the UK and can't help with other service people, but you could try Bob Ridley he is a member here www.watchmakers.com.
Personally I would stick with Rolex this time to get the service papers and wait out the 8 weeks it is worth it believe me, but I and most other people would not recommend changing the hands as this will adversely affect the watches desirability and as it is now a collectable watch and will continue to slowly rise in value that would be a shame for you and any future buyer.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 06:33 AM   #4
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

I'd stick to an RSC on this one.
Old 5 June 2008, 06:39 AM   #5
SeniorDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm433 View Post
The luminosity has faded and the hands have acquired a greyish patina. It also runs about 14 seconds fast per day. I'm thinking of having the hands replaced and the watch serviced by Rolex through a local AD. I understand that Rolex can take a long time and be pretty expensive. I was thinking about having it serviced at cape town diamonds or another reputable servicer instead.

Anybody had positive or negative experiences with cape town diamonds? Recommendations for other independent servicers? Or should I just stick with Rolex?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Cheers
I also recommend any one of the Rolex RSC's, New York, Dallas or Beverly Hills.

As far as the dial and hands are concerned, the one and only thing to remember is that it is your watch. You may do with it as you please. If you want your watch to glow in the dark, replace the dial and hands. If you don't then keep the dial and hands, that is if Rolex will let you.

I fought and lost a battle with the NewYork RSC concerning my 1968 1675 GMT's dial and hands. They recommended (read demanded) that they be replaced, they relented somewhat and said I could keep the dial. I finally gave up and agreed to replace its tritium dial and hands with a brand spanking new Luminova jobs. Oh my God, the horror.

I spent many wasted hours wondering whether on not I should worry about the "value" of the watch to some future collector or the current value to myself. As this watch is going directly to my son's wrist as soon as my brand new, Bill Yao MkII LRRP gets here, I don't care what some "collector" thinks. My son just wants it to glow in the dark and that's what he'll get.

Of course, he gets nothing until Mr. Yao completes his magic.

Rolex USA needs to change its policy concerning watches and replacement parts. Rolex UK doesn't seem to have a problem with returning old parts to customers upon request, why should the USA branch be any different. If I wanted my integrity impugned, I'd ask my Father-in-Law to dinner to talk about politics. With Rolex, at least here in the USA, it comes with the service, no extra charge.
SeniorDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 06:52 AM   #6
GMTII Owner
"TRF" Member

Watch: S/S GMT Master IIc
Best to go with RSC. Welcome to TRF.
Old 5 June 2008, 07:08 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

Well, Beverly hills is the closest RSC to you. They may well insist in changing the hands-probably the dial as well. If originality is important to you that has to be considered. If 100% functionality is important than changing is what you want.

Option 2-- As you're in Ca. Try the Independent Rolex service center in San Francisco--(415)-982-9830 They have more leeway in what can and cannot be done. All Rolex parts and very skilled people.

Cost-- I've read RSC has upped the price on a service--$555 USD. Add about $225 for a dial and $45 for hands.

The Independents I'm sure are different as they are not bound by Rolex pricing.

Good luck.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 07:10 AM   #8
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

I'd go with an RSC, too, but I would not have the dial and hands exchanged. It's a matter of personal preference, but I really like the patination that Tritium gets over the years.

Furthermore, having the dial and hands exchanged would make it less desirable for collectors if you choose to re-sell it later on.

Mike just suggested the RSC in San Francisco. Very good advice, imho!

Turnaround time would normally be 3-4 weeks, depending on the time you send it in. During summer and Christmas, it may take longer.

Please post a pic of your GMT II as it looks now and later pics of how it looks after service!

Enjoy your stay here and have fun!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorDad View Post
I also recommend any one of the Rolex RSC's, New York, Dallas or Beverly Hills.

I fought and lost a battle with the NewYork RSC concerning my 1968 1675 GMT's dial and hands.
Point of order. Rolex Manhattan is not a RSC, it is Rolex USA much more then just a RSC. They are the ones that make policy for all RSC and AD in the US of A. Sorry I'm feeling anal today.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 08:50 AM   #10
Beef
"TRF" Member

My local AD's Rolex certified watchmaker has ordered me SuperLuminova replacement hands for several of my vintage watches from Rolex. About $75 a set. Then he swaps them out while I wait. I take the originals home and put them in the watch box. If the hands glow, you can still tell time even if the face doesn't. At least if you are on this forum, you should have that talent.
Old 5 June 2008, 08:54 AM   #11
gmt master x

Watch: 70 s gmt master.
I personally would stick with rolex.
just my 2 cents......
gmt master x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 09:06 AM   #12
jm433
"TRF" Member

Guys -- thanks for all the info. I actually live just outside of San Francisco so that independent Rolex service center in SF would be a good bet for me. What does it mean that it is an independent Rolex service center -- some sort of affiliate with Rolex but not owned by them?

I am torn about the hands. They have a faded, grey look to them, which bothers me more than the fact that they don't light up very strongly. I hadn't thought I would have the dial replaced. Shreve and Co is the AD I called about the hands and they told me that Rolex would not just fix the hands but would tell me what else needed to be done.

The current dial reads T<25, which I suppose would be an odd mismatch if they put luminova hands on the watch.

I don't have any pics of the watch at them moment, but will take some and post them.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Old 5 June 2008, 04:38 PM   #13
jm433
"TRF" Member

Here are the pics of the watch. Thanks again for the advice. I think I'll wear it for a while and see if the hands grow on me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0286.jpg (32.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0294.jpg (37.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0298.jpg (37.2 KB, 133 views)
Old 5 June 2008, 04:49 PM   #14
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Not to hi-jack....but..

If I don't have papers on my coke...how can I be sure that the coke bezel is to one it originally had.....thinking about getting it serviced...and would hate to have RSC take it from me and put on one of the other two...that were original when purchased.....
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)

Last edited by pwrslider; 5 June 2008 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: spelling duh!
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 07:49 PM   #15
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
I would use a RSC. just sent my sub for service. Quote with new crystal, dial and hands is a$14OO.
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:44 PM   #16
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Thanks for sharing the pics!

Great looking GMT II there!

As stated, I would definately leave the dial and hands alone.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 12:06 AM   #17
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
If you live up north, you can walk into Shreve in S.F. They have done a good job on my 2 Subs over the last 20 years.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 6 June 2008, 06:43 AM   #18
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrslider View Post
Not to hi-jack....but..

If I don't have papers on my coke...how can I be sure that the coke bezel is to one it originally had.....thinking about getting it serviced...and would hate to have RSC take it from me and put on one of the other two...that were original when purchased.....
Rolex will not do any work without your approval. I walked into Rolex USA with my 1970 DD and was not charged anything to be told it would cost more to service the watch then a new DD would cost.

I opted to have a written report from Yoda in the back at a cost of $168 that documented everything about the watch, done wile I ate free chocolate. I then took it to a watchmaker and for abut $300 had it cleaned, timed and water proof tested. It does not look in like new condition but it does run in like new condition.

Rolex does not want 38 year old watches in use. They want to sell a new one.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote