The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 1 December 2015, 07:40 PM   #1
poker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Plan to add a roller ball pen to my collection

I have a MB fountain pen and a Lamy fountain pen.

I plan to add another roller ball pen to my collection.

I hope I can get some recommendations here. Below are the factors that I will take into consideration:

1) Price - therefore, it does not need to be a MB. I will consider other reputable brand
2) Ease to get the refill. It would suck big time if I am not able to use the pen because I could not replace the refill or difficult to source for the refill
3) The pen should be nicely weighted and 'feel' 'nice'. I know this is subjective but I would like to hear from you, my learned and more experienced fellow forummers.

Thank you in advance.
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2015, 09:55 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have purchased several Visconti Rollerballs lately and have been very impressed. They can be had for around a third what a MB can. With that said my MB Rollerball pens are the best.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2015, 01:28 AM   #3
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

I am a huge fan of MB and own several, but.....the Visconti rollerball is a wonderful choice. It is in my pocket daily. Prices are much more palatable than MB and the selection of colors is outstanding. The Rembrandt and VanGogh pieces can be had for well under $250. They are well worth that and I must mention, the pocket clip on these is superior in functionality to MB. Of course this is all my opinion and ymmv. Good luck!
Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2015, 03:52 AM   #4
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
There are many different brands out there and I would suggest going to a Pen specialty store to check them out and try them before you buy one. If you are close to New York City there is a fantastic store called The Fountain Pen Hospital…..I would check them out(also online). Also there is a chain of stores called The Paradise Pen(they also have a website) and they carry many brands and it's worth going to one of their stores to check out their stock as well…..

Also, FYI, Office Max carries Rollerball Refills if you decide to go with a MontBlanc Rollerball pen…..good luck!!!

I have and have used a Waterman Rollerball pen for over 15 years and really like the pen I have…so check them out as well…….

Take care…..Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2015, 04:27 PM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Take your time and visit some pen shops and boutiques. You will know it when you have it in your hand.

If you don't have the opportunity to visit the above then I would recommend a MB roller ball with the caveat that their refills are NOT long lasting.

I have a MB roller ball in burgundy (no longer available but beautiful) and love the look of the pen but hate the fact that even a new refill only lasts about a day before it starts to skip and makes me want to eat my own face off! With that said, it sits in one of my pen cases and saddens me readily!

Pelikan makes a good RB and good refill. As do other pen makers. I actually like the Retro 51 RBs which are fun and inexpensive.

Good luck!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2015, 05:00 PM   #6
poker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I appreciate the honesty about MB refills.

This is the very reason why this forum is so useful and a great tool before I even visit the pen shops and boutiques to try out some rollerball pens.
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2015, 05:07 PM   #7
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
After reading this I think I should get into pens.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 03:31 AM   #8
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
You should. It is as addictive as collecting watches.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 05:14 AM   #9
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
After reading this I think I should get into pens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
You should. It is as addictive as collecting watches.

Yes, be very, very careful…Fountain pens are "Sweet" and the absolute best Writing Instrument to use on a daily basis…..

But be forewarned once you start using a fine quality Fountain pen uitilizing gold nibs…there is no going back…..you will just be another one(like me)who has been hooked and reeled in!!!

Take care…..Leo

Old 4 December 2015, 06:02 AM   #10
Turn-JB-Up
"TRF" Member

I love my Pelikan 800 roller ball. I have one in solid black and blue and black striped. I really love the weight and feel of these pens and use the M800 (fountain pen) as my daily carry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
I have a MB fountain pen and a Lamy fountain pen.

I plan to add another roller ball pen to my collection.

I hope I can get some recommendations here. Below are the factors that I will take into consideration:

1) Price - therefore, it does not need to be a MB. I will consider other reputable brand
2) Ease to get the refill. It would suck big time if I am not able to use the pen because I could not replace the refill or difficult to source for the refill
3) The pen should be nicely weighted and 'feel' 'nice'. I know this is subjective but I would like to hear from you, my learned and more experienced fellow forummers.

Thank you in advance.
Turn-JB-Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2015, 01:17 PM   #11
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Lord,

If you are going to get into fountain pens I would like to submit that you take your time and try many of them at a pen shop if possible.

If you are just looking to write with one as in a journal / diary consider as a starter a Lay Safari with a 1.1 Italic nib.

Nibs are the most important part of a FP to consider. The 1.1 Italic will give you the line contours and ink shading that you will find so many of us talk about.

The Lamy Safari's and Al Stars (same pen only with an aluminum body) cost under $40.00 and their nibs are interchangeable which means for about $10.00 each you can acquire many different nibs for the same pen.

Safari's are a lovely pen. I have some FPs that have cost $2000.00 and my Lamy Safari's are as much a joy to write with as any I have. It is just one of those things that should not be but are!

If you want to jump into it and put some money into one, see if you can pick up a Pelikan with an Oblique Nib. Again you will enjoy just how much an Oblique will "improve" the appearance of your handwriting without the effort of practice. They are a joy!!! And for about $400.00 you can have a writing instrument that you will never be unsatisfied with.

This is one of my Pelican's that is a Green Tortoise Model Sovereign 450. Its allure never ceases! Also with the Pels you can switch out the nibs very easily as the Nib / Section screw in and are easily interchanged within models.

Let us know what you decide.

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2015, 02:20 PM   #12
ColRam425
"TRF" Member

William Henry just released a new model of rollerballs called "Bolt" that looks really cool
ColRam425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2015, 02:39 PM   #13
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Second the william henry bold in antique coral that is thousands of years old. Google it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2015, 02:50 AM   #14
Lion
"TRF" Member

I too, own Fountain pens from many manufacturers(along with Ballpoint and Rollerball pens)and Richard has given us all some excellent advise. When starting out go to Pen specialty stores and Pen Shows and experiment with all the "Brands" they have to offer and ask questions…..

If you do end up being sold on acquiring Fountain pens…do check out the different Nibs to see which ones you prefer to write with. As there is a difference in Nibs coming from the West(Europe & USA) as compared to the East(Japan and the Orient). Generally, I have found that the nibs on FP's from Japan write a bit narrower or finer over the same size from Western countries. Also with companies who manufacture FP's in Japan you can get the smaller size Nibs(below Extra-fine is the Accountant nib and then the smallest-Needle Nibs)…..

Also once you start using Fountain pens you can buy and use all kinds of different colored pigment "Inks" from many manufacturers. Remember the only true ink is Black…the rest are made up of pigments(like those used in Tattooing)!!!

Richard your Pelican, Green Tortoise Sovereign 450 is absolutely stunning…enjoy!!!

Take care…..Leo