The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 15 March 2016, 11:36 PM   #1
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
Microfiber Cloth and Brushed Finishing

So there is a thread going on the main Rolex forum (http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=463440) about whether using a microfiber cloth can scratch the gold PCLs on the OPs GMT2 TT. I weighed in, saying that I attributed the "swirlies" he noticed to normal wear, and not a microfiber cloth, but I wanted to get all of your thoughts about the proper care of an AP.

I have been told numerous times by the fine people at the AP boutiques that a microfiber cloth was "totally" fine, and actually encouraged as the method of just wiping the watch down. They told me this was better than running it under water (although I do that too). In fact, I have done both - sometimes a quick dry wipe down with a microfiber cloth... sometimes a rinse off under luke warm tap water. Generally if I wipe down the watch with a microfiber cloth (that I keep in the drawer with the watch) I shake it out to get any dust off it it.

I'm actually less concerned about the polished parts of the case; those will pick up swirlies from time to time with normal wear from shirt cuffs, sleeves, etc. I am more curious if using a microfiber cloth on the brushed parts of the case will "dull" the brushed finishing over time. I am sure you are all familiar with the almost metallic look of the brushed finishing in the light. That's actually my favorite part of the watch! I really, *really* doubt that a microfiber cloth could do anything that a ribbed jacket sleeve wouldn't do, but I am still in the honeymoon phase with my 15202!
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 03:02 AM   #2
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Larry Wildman View Post
I am more curious if using a microfiber cloth on the brushed parts of the case will "dull" the brushed finishing over time. I am sure you are all familiar with the almost metallic look of the brushed finishing in the light. That's actually my favorite part of the watch! I really, *really* doubt that a microfiber cloth could do anything that a ribbed jacket sleeve wouldn't do, but I am still in the honeymoon phase with my 15202!
I seriously doubt a clean (lint, dust, dirt free) MF cloth will dull the Brushed finish of the case.

I was pretty active in that referenced thread, and I'm slightly OCD about the way I clean my watches, but I believe I've had great success with it. Here is my basic method with a few inside (OCD) tips.

(wash and dry your hands well with soap and water before beginning)
1. I spray the watch down liberally with Veraet watch cleaner (highly recommended). I've found that spraying a dry watch with the wacth cleaner is more affective than first rinsing the watch with water. The water seems to block the watch cleaner from displacing oils, residue, dirt, dust, etc.

2. Clean the watch by gentle rubbing it with pads of your fingers.

3. Run some warm water out of the faucet and rinse off the watch.

4. spray the watch again with a light coat of the watch cleaner.

5. Pick up an infant fingertip toothbrush with rubber/silicone bristles like this one here...
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Fin...ant+toothbrush

Use the infant toothbrush to lightly scrub in the cracks and corners of the case and bracelet. Repeat until the watch is noticeably clean and shiny even in the otherwise hard to reach areas.

6. Run some warm water out of the faucet and rinse off the watch.

7. Pat dry the watch with a clean MF cloth.

8. Use a camera lens blower to remove excess water in hard to reach areas. Something like this is perfect for the job...
http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-Rocket...ra+lens+blower

9. At this point your watch should more or less be dry. There might be a few beads of water that surfaced from the blower, those can be pat dry with the previously used MF cloth. But now, take a different MF cloth that is also clean, and begin to lightly wipe down the watch removing any water marks, fingerprints or other smudges.

Your watch will look brand new!

If you have a leather strap, ask someone else ;)
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 03:59 AM   #3
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
i have no clue what ppl are xpecting from their watches ,every little scratch like a heartattack.....................it s just ridicolous

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 04:11 AM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
i have no clue what ppl are xpecting from their watches ,every little scratch like a heartattack.....................it s just ridicolous
Scratches are inevitable, no doubt. I can't speak for everyone else, all I can say is that I like to keep my watches clean and avoid scratches when/if possible. Don't think that's ridiculous. Not having a heart attack in fact cleaning my watch is relaxing.

Maybe you need to relax a little when reading threads like this.
Old 16 March 2016, 05:44 AM   #5
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Scratches are inevitable, no doubt. I can't speak for everyone else, all I can say is that I like to keep my watches clean and avoid scratches when/if possible. Don't think that's ridiculous. Not having a heart attack in fact cleaning my watch is relaxing.

Maybe you need to relax a little when reading threads like this.
i m relaxed no worry for me

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 05:59 AM   #6
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
i m relaxed no worry for me
Old 16 March 2016, 06:34 AM   #7
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
I totally appreciate what Passionata is saying though. It's a fool's errand to totally obsess over a watch. It's meant to be worn, and I swear I treat it as such and not like a safe queen!
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 01:27 PM   #8
Grnvette65
"TRF" Member

Nothing can be new forever, use, use... Service and refinish as needed.
Grnvette65 is offline   Reply With Quote