The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 March 2016, 05:41 AM   #1
tmehanna
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV,BLNR,Serti DJII
Icon20 BLNR vs SubC LV advice from people who have both

This question seems to come up very often on the forum so I thought we can dedicate a thread to unbiased advice from people who love and own both watches for anyone who asks, I will start with my two cents.

They are both very attractive but very different watches so you really shouldn't be choosing between them. The BLNR is the less sporty, more dressy of the two and is the more versatile between the two. If you're buying your first or only Rolex, unless you're the very trendy type, you should avoid the LVC and go for the BLNR specially if you wear a suit to work, and if you generally prefer the SubC to the GMT II, you may want to consider the standard SubC LN or a bluesy which offer much better versatility; and although you will tire from black eventually, you will tire of green much sooner. I should also mention that the LV wears a little larger than the BLNR.

Personally, I hardly ever wear a suit and dress casually all the time, joggers or jeans. I find myself reaching for the LV a lot more than the GMT specially with T shirts and sweatshirts. BLNR looks better with a smart casual shirt though. For outright sportswear like shorts and sneakers, you'll be better served by an AP RO or a Hublot on rubber/leather straps or a YMII if you must have a Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160305_181505 (Medium).jpg (45.9 KB, 642 views)
tmehanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 05:59 AM   #2
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Nice picture. I don't own both but I think they both make the top 3 in a SS rolex trio. The 3rd being the new Daytona. If I was just to own 1 it would be the BLNR for slightly more functionality.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 06:05 AM   #3
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Trying to decide between the LV & LN Sub and the BLNR right now. Worried the LV might not work as a one and only Rolex. Have always owned GMT's and was thinking of going with a Sub this time.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 06:32 AM   #4
avilhena
"TRF" Member

Nice thread! I was one of those in doubt between the two recently. Decided for the 116610LV because i already own a 116710 LN.
avilhena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 06:43 AM   #5
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Nice thread. I own a bluesy and a BLNR and I find the BLNR to be a better daily watch for me because I'm always wearing scrubs at work and the gold seems a bit too flashy at times. For the most part I do agree with everything you said and a close friend of mine wears the hulk everyday. The beautiful thing about all of this is you really can't go wrong with either! And anyone who has both will rarely get rid of one!

I will add that the glidelock make life ever so slightly easier but the GMT still fits great w the microadjustments and the easylink
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 06:48 AM   #6
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Given your sporty spice nature, would you go LVc before Daytona-C?
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 06:49 AM   #7
scotttampa
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, OM, GO
I own the Hulk and a black stick Datejust II -- in my opinion, that's a perfect dress and sport watch combination. Of course if one travels frequently though multiple time zones, the BLNR would be a good replacement for a Datejust II. However, there is always your cell phone.
scotttampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 06:52 AM   #8
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Ive got a Hulk and a 116710LN, my friend has a BLNR. I've had the Hulk for about 18 months (I think) and have not tired of the green one bit. In fact, I've worn it every day since I got it and neglected all my other watches.

Between the two in question, I'd personally go with the Hulk, but as you said, you can't go wrong with either. I'm in line for a white C-tona and am considering parting with the 116710LN as well.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 06:56 AM   #9
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Im debating between the LN and LVc not sure which one i would like more. I love the hulk as its more flashy but afraid ill hate the green over time.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 07:01 AM   #10
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by albmich View Post
Nice thread. I own a bluesy and a BLNR and I find the BLNR to be a better daily watch for me because I'm always wearing scrubs at work and the gold seems a bit too flashy at times. For the most part I do agree with everything you said and a close friend of mine wears the hulk everyday. The beautiful thing about all of this is you really can't go wrong with either! And anyone who has both will rarely get rid of one!

I will add that the glidelock make life ever so slightly easier but the GMT still fits great w the microadjustments and the easylink
As a fellow hospital worker, love that the GMT can help me with 24hour time at a glance
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 07:06 AM   #11
tmehanna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Given your sporty spice nature, would you go LVc before Daytona-C?
It's a matter of personal preference.I would take LVc over any Daytona as I personally find the Daytona too tiny for my liking and offering too little wrist presence for a sports watch even on my medium wrist. Although it IS classified as a sports model, I personally regard it as the most dressy of Rolex sports models and would not wear it as a sports watch, but what do I know? ;)
Old 24 March 2016, 07:49 AM   #12
Rolex time is money
"TRF" Member

Suit? I solve the problem by tailoring a suit in dark green color, problem solved if you want to wear the Hulk with a suit.

I love the Hulk, 5 times I gotten is back, the BLNR I flipped after 1 week with all stickers still on.

First serial "V" 116610V Hulk
Rolex time is money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 08:25 AM   #13
salvadorsantana
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/R O L E X
Have both, usually wear one everyday monday blnr, tuesday lv, wednesday blnr, thursday lv, friday blnr, saturday lv, sunday blnr, monday lv...repeat until infinite
Old 24 March 2016, 08:43 AM   #14
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

They both have a place in a collection for sure.....but IMO for versatility it's gotta be the BLNR first unless you got other GMT/Explorer II's with that complication in your lineup. Hence why I have the BLNR already and will plan to add the LVc down the line. Great post OP.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 08:55 AM   #15
pacific17
"TRF" Member

Watch: G-Shock DW003
both watches are fine but if i had to choose a one and only, I would go with 16622 or 116622. It works for every attire.

But if I had to choose between BLNR or LV, I would go with BLNR for the GMT function.
Old 24 March 2016, 11:21 AM   #16
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Nice post!
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 03:39 PM   #17
jameson
"TRF" Member

Have the LVc, BLNR, and LN. LVc gets the most wrist time. I much prefer the BLNR to the LN, but ended up giving the BLNR to my brother for the last year since I didn't need two GMTIIc, and the LVc was dominating wrist time over the BLNR.

As part of a collection: LVc>>>>>BLNR>>>>LN
As your only piece: BLNR=LN>>>LVc

The LV is just not a watch as a "one and only" because the green has some limitations with colors and attires. That said, as your collection grows, you realize that blacks, whites, and grays are a dime a dozen and blues are somewhat common. There is just no other green piece...period. Its the #1 in my collection since it fits a niche you literally won't find anywhere else. However, it would not be my first choice as a first piece. If buying for first and only piece, the LN will work for every occasion (sandals and trunks to black tie and everything in between). BLNR is versatile but the blue takes it out of consideration for formal.
jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 03:45 PM   #18
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I've owned both and now just the BLNR. I found the GMT is more comfortable on my wrist and it's a more versatile watch. YMMV
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 05:05 PM   #19
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by busytimmy View Post
I've owned both and now just the BLNR. I found the GMT is more comfortable on my wrist and it's a more versatile watch. YMMV
Gotta disagree with you there, mate. Any watch with a Glidelock is always going to be more comfortable (but then it is your wrist ) . I really wish Rolex would offer an 'upgrade' on the sports references to allow the buyer to have a Glidelock bracelet for a bit of extra cash. I would do it every time.

Back to the OP, I have both and love both. My LVc gets more wrist time as I much prefer the look of it. I don't dislike the BLNR in any shape or form, I just love the LVc so much more. IMHO it can be an every day watch; if Iwant to wear it with a suit, a tux, smart casual, at the beach then I do it. It's my watch and I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

As for the OP's comment about wearing a AP ROO or Hublot on rubber/leather straps when in out and out sports gear, well, I don't get that Why would you wear anything with a leather strap in sports gear? To each his own, I guess

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 09:48 PM   #20
tmehanna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post

Back to the OP, I have both and love both. My LVc gets more wrist time as I much prefer the look of it. I don't dislike the BLNR in any shape or form, I just love the LVc so much more. IMHO it can be an every day watch; if Iwant to wear it with a suit, a tux, smart casual, at the beach then I do it. It's my watch and I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

As for the OP's comment about wearing a AP ROO or Hublot on rubber/leather straps when in out and out sports gear, well, I don't get that Why would you wear anything with a leather strap in sports gear? To each his own, I guess
I personally find your two statements contradictory you want to wear your LVc with a suit (you can also wear sneakers with a suit, your sneakers after all) but question why anyone would wear a ROO or a Hublot on a leather strap with sports gear Traditional wisdom dictates dress watches have to be on a leather strap not that sports watches cannot You think a 44+ mm ROO or a Hublot on a leather strap should be worn with a suit?!
Old 24 March 2016, 10:15 PM   #21
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
I just can't get over the green. I wish I could. I can't. In my mind it's not even fair to the LV to compare it to the BLNR. They are just not close.

I absolutely love the color green. I live in Florida. I just don't like it on a watch.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 10:46 PM   #22
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
My issue is this:

The Sub LN is just too common. Seems like everyone has one. So that leaves the Sub LV and the BLNR as my final choices. I have had a 116710LN and kinda want the Glidelock and the non polished center links. Never owned a Sub and want something that not everyone is going to have so that is why I am leaning towards the Sub LV. The BLNR is a great watch though which makes this decision even harder.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2016, 10:54 PM   #23
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I'm gonna chime in and give my honest opinion based on the watches that I have owned:

The Sub C LV: Is more versatile than people think, It will match 90% of everything that is in my closet, the glidelock clasp is an incredible thing and one that takes the watch to a different level. For weekend wear, casual, cargo shorts, jeans, polo shirts or whatever you wish - This is the PERFECT watch, if you work in an office and must wear lots of cuffed shirts, no modern sub will work. I am sorry but this isn't a watch that you wear with dress shirts - No offense to those that do.

The Sub C LN: I absolutely loved having the LN as my first Rolex and my first Submariner - It is everything I said about the LV but toned down and under the radar. I never had anyone notice it and that was a positive for me, as a standalone watch, the LN simply cannot be beat by anything. Not even the Daytona or the BLNR.

The GMT BLNR - It took two attempts to get me to like this watch and to keep it. While versatility is often associated with this piece I do not think this is an every occasion watch. I would never wear anything with PCLs to a BBQ with a sleeveless t-shirt or at the beach with just swim trunks. The BLNR simply does not do well in very casual settings. I don't use a winder so if I don't use the watch for a few days, setting the date is a pain in the behind.

The Explorer I (This one isn't part of the thread but I needed to include it) - This one is a go-to for everything life can throw at you, including the dressy shirts and the office environment. Thin case, nicely sized, under the radar and pure class.

If I had to choose a single Rolex to own for the rest of my life and nothing more from the above choices, I would 100% choose the Submariner C LN

If I was given the option of having only two I would have an Explorer I and the Submariner C LV

If I could add a third the BLNR or a GMT function would be my last addition

Sorry for the long post!
Old 24 March 2016, 11:00 PM   #24
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I just can't get over the green. I wish I could. I can't. In my mind it's not even fair to the LV to compare it to the BLNR. They are just not close.
I absolutely love the color green. I live in Florida. I just don't like it on a watch.
I am with you on that. My favorite color is green and I've owned an original 16610LV since they came out. I love the watch especially the rare times when I see it on others but I just can't warm to the green of the 116610LV on my wrist.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lv vs blnr