The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 March 2016, 09:59 PM   #151
Gryfalcon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod727 View Post
Find another AD
^^^ however I am going to wait for a used one through davidsw

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Gryfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 10:04 PM   #152
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
This is great. Flippers and resellers should not be taking up spots on the list.

I agree. And as much as I hate to say it, resellers hurt the resale value of our beloved Rolexes and I don't have any problem with Rolex tightening restrictions on what type of buyer AD's can sell to. That being said, if you are a legitimate buyer, I don't like AD's using watches as bait to force you into purchasing other items.
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 10:25 PM   #153
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
This is great. Flippers and resellers should not be taking up spots on the list.
What do you think all the "trusted sellers" with new and under warranty watches are doing?
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 10:34 AM   #154
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
What do you think all the "trusted sellers" with new and under warranty watches are doing?
Like it or not, I stand by what I said. Trusted sellers included.
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 07:30 PM   #155
poker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I would not buy from them ever again. I will also ensure that my family members and friends will not to buy from them.
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 07:34 PM   #156
eterna
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc
Bring your money elsewhere. Forget abt this AD.
eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 02:21 AM   #157
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I would go to that AD and ask to have a look at a very expensive piece of jewellery, I would look it up and down, have my wife try it on and then say, "it is lovely, I will buy it at so and so dealers just down the road, but wanted to see what it looked like to save me the walk just in case I don't like it, but I do, thank you for your time, goodbye."

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 02:44 AM   #158
Robrob777
"TRF" Member

Lol at the dealer ... the ss Daytona watch is widely available online and for a discount, just come to the US.
Robrob777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 06:08 AM   #159
LazyDaniel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrob777 View Post
Lol at the dealer ... the ss Daytona watch is widely available online and for a discount, just come to the US.
We are talking about the new ceramic one that was announced at basel world 2016
LazyDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 06:10 AM   #160
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimpkins View Post
I would definitely let Rolex know about this, using the Rolex name to sell other products probably made by themselves, no wonder Rolex reduced the number of independents in the UK. I know the dealer and will certainly never use them now and will make others aware of the original post.
Yup - I would send a letter to Rolex with a copy of the email and original purchase story just out of principal.

With a bit of luck in the near future they will lose their Rolex status and be bending over backwards trying to sell you a different brand, then you can laugh and walk away with a Daytona on the wrist!!
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 09:35 AM   #161
guelerct
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Grey Side
I hope you sent him a Christmas present after her gracefully 'accepted' your 13,000+ purchases. He is truly a generous person.
I don't get AD attitude. They are inside sales persons who service a demand built by Rolex advertising and legacy.
Unless he possesses some magical individual qualities he is nothing more than a middle man who got commissioned on your sale.
guelerct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 11:56 AM   #162
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Putting you on a waitlist is one thing, forcing you to buy other jewellery is something else. That's not about maintaining brand image. I would forward that correspondence to Rolex HQ in Geneva.
So would I. I wouldn't hesitate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
My first reaction to this was that it's very poor behaviour. But then I had some other thoughts...

When I posted on here that I managed to get first on the list at my AD, a good few others followed suit. These claims of being first on the list were met by a great deal of scepticism from TRF members, they weren't implying that we were lying, more that we were being misled by the AD's.

The general consensus seemed to be that the first ceramic daytonas will be going to the very best customers and until such time as all the very good customers demands have been met, normal folk won't even be making it onto a list, despite what they may be told. And this could be a very very long time.

To some extent I agree with these thoughts; I personally have said many times to folk on here who are questioning the merits of buying new from an AD, that I do it in the hope that when I want a rare piece, I will get preferential treatment.

So based on all of this, why would anyone complain about the note from this AD? His note was maybe a little condescending but it was courteous and frankly, I think the honesty is somewhat refreshing.

Some brands (Ferrari being an extreme example) will only offer some models to special customers. To some extent this is a reward for loyalty, but also to stop chancers getting hold of rare models and turning them for a profit. I'm struggling to argue with either of these reasons.

Whilst I will never be on Ferrari's radar, I'm glad I've invested eight years in my relationship with my AD, which includes me going in to say hi every time I'm in town regardless of whether I'm in the market or not.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure that there are lots of good arguments that would say all customers should be treated equall.
Difficult to argue with any of this.

Whilst the AD might simply have been being brutally honest, there are better ways of saying 'sorry mate, I have customers that spend a shed load of money more than you and they will be getting the new Daytona first'. On that basis, I'd shop elsewhere and never give Tarrats another penny.

I have no doubt that I could get one pretty soon from one of my two choice ADs but I'm happy with my SS black dial. Aside from that, I prefer the new grey dial YM with the blue second hand

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote