The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 31 March 2016, 11:50 PM   #1
Brny11
"TRF" Member

First Time watch / Omega buyer - Advice

Just bought my first "real" watch and my first Omega! I admittedly own a couple of Movados and guess watches - but recently started studying and really enjoying horology.

So I picked up the Aqua Terra 38.5mm black dial. I wanted a versatile watch that I can wear with pretty much anything while I save up for a sport. I did have a couple of concerns I wanted to run past the forum to ensure I made a good choice.

1. It is the discontinued 231.10.39.21.01.001 model. I believe this does not have the antimagnetic movement. Possibly some other compromises as compared to the 002, but non I could find that would concern me. I know Omega currently sells model 231.10.39.21.01.002.

2. I purchased it from grey market dealer.

For my first watch, I don't want it to be a bad experience and I usually like the latest and greatest of whatever it is I invest in. The watch is awesome and the grey market price was ridiculously good. Do you think the points above are too much of a compromise. I love the watch, however I just want to make sure I am not rushing into it.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.9 KB, 481 views)
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 06:30 AM   #2
Allectus
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
It looks just fine. Just pull off the plastic covering the crystal if you haven't already.

You just stated that you love it. That should be enough to justify the cost. By no means is that a throw away watch. As you do more research you will find that what you bought is worth having especially since you say that you got a good deal. The only detractor would be if it was fake, but it doesn't look like it.

My first "real" watch is my Titanium Seamaster Planet Ocean. Like you I was rather new to horology but also like you I did my research beforehand and got a great piece.

To specifically answer your questions:

1. The 002 is just a refresh of a good model. They would have discontinued the watch if it wasn't cutting the mustard. You should be fine with the model you have.

2. I purchased my Seamaster from an AD. The rest of my watches had been used or as in the case of my new BLNR on the Grey Market. Again the only thing that could go wrong is if they passed off a fake to you which it does not appear to be. Unless you are in to the whole luxury watch buying experience where they get you coffee and take months to deliver, then the Grey Market is just fine in my book.
Ω Ti Seamaster PO
Ω TT Speedmaster Reduced
Allectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 06:56 AM   #3
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Excellent choice! In the long run you'll have no regrets with this piece. The most important part of the experience is having the watch you desire in your collection. The majority of my watches have been purchased used after my 2007 Omega purchase from an AD. Regarding the new features, they're not necessary really. If anything it serves as additional motivation to save up for the next one. Enjoy in good health!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 11:28 AM   #4
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses! Now I need to start figuring out the next one. Seamaster 300 coaxial or submariner... Hmmm.
Old 2 April 2016, 12:35 AM   #5
Allectus
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
You already have the Omega block checked. A Sub or GMT might work for you. If you want to go for the gusto then a Daytona might be in order.
Ω Ti Seamaster PO
Ω TT Speedmaster Reduced
Allectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 12:53 AM   #6
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allectus View Post
You already have the Omega block checked. A Sub or GMT might work for you. If you want to go for the gusto then a Daytona might be in order.
Totally agree with what was ssaid above. In your shoes I would aim for something like a Submariner or GMT Master II as the next one. You'll never regret it and the watches will be totally different in your collection.

I know for me my next one will be a Rolex again. This process is all part of the fun! Stop at AD's to try on watches and don't forget to take wrist shots. I never used to do this before but did recently and it was very helpful.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 05:55 AM   #7
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
For the price of a Daytona, you can just about have a Speedmaster and a GMT. Then, you'd have something very close to my perfect 3-watch rotation. Dress-worthy watch with a date, classic chronograph, and a first-rate travel watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 watch rotation.jpg (276.4 KB, 422 views)
Old 2 April 2016, 08:01 AM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

If you picked up the black dial on the deal I saw plastered across slickdeals from Jomashop...I think you made out like a bandit on a great watch. It is a versatile piece for both casual/formal attire. Rock solid 8500 movement and only missing the anti-magnetic "master" certification.....never had a watch magnetized (even my old seamaster from 17+ years ago) so I think you are good to go. The only real weakness would be the minimal lume on the watch so that's something to consider....but man this watch is spectacular in the sun. I love wearing mine (the blue teak dial in Skyfall) and I think the date window completes the watch. Wear in good health!
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
Wear it in good health!
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 09:51 PM   #10
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Cool watch and I believe to be a keeper if it works for you. I would get the Rolex ND Sub-C as a next watch. The glidelock clasp alone is worth the price of admission for this watch but you also get the updated case and ceramic bezel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0057.jpg (95.3 KB, 398 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 09:57 PM   #11
West
"TRF" Member

Great choice. I prefer the older AT model as the surround on the date window makes it look more finished to my mind.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 10:13 PM   #12
Brny11
"TRF" Member

That will be my next watch! I actually prefer it over the Sub date.
Old 3 April 2016, 12:40 AM   #13
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

I saw that same deal, and it was a steal! The movement is essentially identical to the Master Chronometer; the newer version has a few extra non-magnetic parts. I have read--but do not know for certain--that 8500 movements will be upgraded with these non-magnetic parts during service. Regardless, the 8500 is one of the most accurate movements I have ever owned. I'm also not certain the watch is discontinued. It still shows-up on Omega's official website, and can be found in their boutique here in San Diego.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2016, 01:12 AM   #14
KBM

First of all, welcome to TRF Brian!

The reference you chose is a great all rounder. Should have you set until you are ready for that sports piece.

The differences between the watch you got and the new model shouldn't have any impact on your enjoyment of the piece. Sure, the latest calibers are amazing, but so is the co-axial 8500. Many people, in fact, prefer the looks of your model, with the grid around the date window.

Regarding origin, as long as you purchased the watch from a trustworthy grey market seller (one of the pillars of watch collecting is always buy the seller first!), you should be fine.

Now it's time to peel off the plastics and start enjoying that great watch. Congrats!

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2016, 07:36 AM   #15
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Probably a question for a different forum, but while the watch is sitting on the dresser as I need to go size it, I notice it ran +5 seconds in under 15 hours. Is this common for a new watch or considering that it is just sitting in the box? Do I give it a while, or is this usually an issue I should address sooner then later?
Old 3 April 2016, 11:14 AM   #16
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
Probably a question for a different forum, but while the watch is sitting on the dresser as I need to go size it, I notice it ran +5 seconds in under 15 hours. Is this common for a new watch or considering that it is just sitting in the box? Do I give it a while, or is this usually an issue I should address sooner then later?
It's normal for brand new watches to require a "break in" period, in which the accuracy adjusts to its regular rate. If you have worn it for a month or so and it's out of spec, you can have it regulated under warranty. As you purchased your watch grey market without Omega's warranty, I would personally have an Omega service center do the regulation, even if this comes at a small cost.
Old 3 April 2016, 01:26 PM   #17
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2016, 11:56 PM   #18
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think it's cause for immediate concern. The twin-barrel design of the 8500 is supposed to provide a more constant level of torque, which should create more consistent timekeeping throughout the power reserve. Nevertheless, most watches tend to speed-up as the power reserve runs down. Thus, if your AT was not fully-wound, it could be running fast. Additionally, the dial-up position is usually the fastest position of all watches.

Make sure the watch is fully-wound, and give it a solid week or two of wearing. The results should improve. I wouldn't have it cracked open at this point.

Jeremy
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2016, 12:45 AM   #19
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the comments! Just got it sized and finally removed the plastic! Great forum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (113.2 KB, 335 views)
Old 4 April 2016, 01:50 AM   #20
KBM

Looking good, Brian! Enjoy it!
Old 4 April 2016, 12:45 PM   #21
demarcom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai
The watch looks great. I have bought from gray, AD, and one from a trusted seller here on the forum. I did have an issue with a smp 2500c movement and it had to go back to omega 2x. Luckily I got that from an AD. That would be my only concern with gray.., if you have a bigger issue it could cause a headache.

For me... I shop here only from now on.
demarcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2016, 11:21 PM   #22
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Wow! Awesome watch. I'd take this one over the latest version, especially at a discounted price. You made a good choice.

Enjoy it.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 12:12 AM   #23
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
It's normal for brand new watches to require a "break in" period, in which the accuracy adjusts to its regular rate. If you have worn it for a month or so and it's out of spec, you can have it regulated under warranty. As you purchased your watch grey market without Omega's warranty, I would personally have an Omega service center do the regulation, even if this comes at a small cost.
I will give it a month, but it ran +1 second in almost 30 hours!! Very exciting
Old 5 April 2016, 02:29 AM   #24
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Looks great I have the 41.5 mm Grey version that I bought when my second daughter was born. Great watch, great choice!
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 02:43 AM   #25
tudorluv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments! Just got it sized and finally removed the plastic! Great forum!
looks great - enjoy
tudorluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2016, 11:06 AM   #26
eteokles
"TRF" Member

Excellent choice. Congrats. Very classy, conservative timepiece.
eteokles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2016, 02:38 PM   #27
bcwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Beautiful! Congrats! I have a 2007 Aqua Terra mid-sized automatic. Love the look and feel of these watches, old and new. I don't think you compromised at all. I would have purchased that in a heartbeat. Grey market can mean a lot of things, but if you're concerned, you could always run the serial number by Omega. Not sure where it's located on your newer version, but mine has it on the back of the 7 o'clock lug, where most Sea Masters of that era had them.
bcwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2016, 03:06 AM   #28
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer pints & quarts
"I wanted a versatile watch that I can wear with pretty much anything while I save up for a sport."

It's a Seamaster and will take just about anything you can throw at it. No it doesn't have a numbered bezel, but it is a sport watch and one of the best made IMHO. You bought one fine and versatile timepiece. A wolf in sheep's clothing so to speak. And here's a wolf in wolf's clothing.......or is it wolves'?.....or wolve's?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140528_120408_487.jpg (68.8 KB, 135 views)
slorollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 03:31 PM   #29
westcoastunionthug
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1988 16800
Beautiful. You cannot go wrong with the Aqua Terra. It is everything watches twice its price are.
westcoastunionthug is offline   Reply With Quote