The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 May 2016, 12:57 AM   #1
denrusso
"TRF" Member

NYC Service

My father-in-law recently gave me this:

He purchased it new sometime in the 1960's. He did say at one point he dropped it about one story onto a sidewalk and had to replace the crystal. Unfortunately he also replaced the original bracelet and has never been serviced.

I'd like to take into the NYC Omega store and have them service it and also replace the crystal with OEM, if possible?

Any idea on the cost for this?

Thanks!
dr
denrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 03:52 AM   #2
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I took a 1971 De ville in for the estimate. Prices for service are set based on how old the movement is. Basically the older the movement, the more expensive the service.

I was quoted around $1000 plus parts.

For a watch that might not be worth that much, it doesn't really make sense to go with Omega unless it has real sentimental value.

Independents might not be able to find parts, but they will be significantly cheaper.
Old 1 May 2016, 04:05 AM   #3
Jim M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 14060M 16622
I use a local watchmaker for my vintage Omega servicing and repairs. Former authorized dealer who was eliminated in first purge of ADs many years ago. Watchmakers have the degrees from Bulova School et al on the walls behind counter. Been using them since I moved to village in 1986. Most I paid was $150 for an clean oil adjustment and second hand replacement on 1 1970 Constellation C. Leders in Rockville Centre, NY two block walk south of Long Island Railroad Station.
Old 1 May 2016, 04:10 AM   #4
Mjj66
"TRF" Member

I took my grandfather's vintage de ville to the omega serive center in nyc. While it was expensive, 925$ for the service and 301$ for a new leather band, they did an do an amazing job. The watch had sentimental value to me so it was well worth it. They replaced the hands, crystal and some interior parts. Took about four months. One thing they would not do is fix the bent lug as they were concerned about the structural integrity of the case. Still looking for some one trustworthy to fix that issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.9 KB, 115 views)
Mjj66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2016, 01:43 AM   #5
denrusso
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for the input. I honestly didn't realize it would be close to $1,000 for the service - ouch. I would like to get a nice leather band so maybe I'll take the trip in for at least the band and see what they say on the service.

Thanks again!
dr
denrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 01:54 AM   #6
vaulter1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by denrusso View Post
Thank you everyone for the input. I honestly didn't realize it would be close to $1,000 for the service - ouch. I would like to get a nice leather band so maybe I'll take the trip in for at least the band and see what they say on the service.

Thanks again!
dr
If you're still looking, another place that I've used for both Omega and Rolex is Central Watch in Grand Central Terminal. Off the top of my head I can't recall how much the services were but they were considerably cheaper than through the boutiques.
vaulter1 is offline   Reply With Quote