The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 May 2016, 12:22 AM   #1
Phi.H
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex submariner
5513 bracelet, what is correct?

Hi all from a newbie.
I currently own a 1980 5513 Submariner but I've been questioned a couple of times about the bracelet. Mine has a 78360 bracelet without the oyster-lock. Now I've been told that this is the bracelet fitted to the GMT of the same period but NOT the Sub. My old friend Barry had a 5513 of a similar vintage that he sold 4-5 years ago and that had the same bracelet as mine. Since he'd been questioned about it a few times too, he did a little investigating and quickly unearthed several 5513s with the same bracelet.
It seems a bit odd to me that there are quite a few out there fitted with this type of bracelet. Firstly, it would take one heck of a lot of damage to render a bracelet unserviceable (and you'd wonder why the watch wasn't damaged too if things were that bad). Secondly, assuming the bracelet was so badly damaged that it had to be replaced why replace it with a GMT bracelet rather than the original oyster-lock ??, both types would have been available at the time.

I can only think of two possible scenarios:
1) did Rolex actually sell some 5513 Subs in the early 1980's that were fitted with this bracelet as standard?

or

2) was this a popular option for some owners who, for some reason, didn't like the oyster-lock and weren't using the watch as a diving watch so changed the bracelet?

I'm currently looking for a buyer in the For Sale section so I'd like to know in order to satisfy my curiosity over a question that's been bugging me for years and to have a definitive answer if a buyer asks me about the bracelet.

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks, Phil.

Last edited by Phi.H; 5 May 2016 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: missing word
Phi.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 01:17 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi.H View Post
Hi all from a newbie.
I currently own a 1980 5513 Submariner but I've been questioned a couple of times about the bracelet. Mine has a 78360 bracelet without the oyster-lock. Now I've been told that this is the bracelet fitted to the GMT of the same period but NOT the Sub. My old friend Barry had a 5513 of a similar vintage that he sold 4-5 years ago and that had the same bracelet as mine. Since he'd been questioned about it a few times too, he did a little investigating and quickly unearthed several 5513s with the same bracelet.
It seems a bit odd to me that there are quite a few out there fitted with this type of bracelet. Firstly, it would take one heck of a lot of damage to render a bracelet unserviceable (and you'd wonder why the watch wasn't damaged too if things were that bad). Secondly, assuming the bracelet was so badly damaged that it had to be replaced why replace it with a GMT bracelet rather than the original oyster-lock ??, both types would have been available at the time.

I can only think of two possible scenarios:
1) did Rolex actually sell some 5513 Subs in the early 1980's that were fitted with this bracelet as standard?

or

2) was this a popular option for some owners who, for some reason, didn't like the oyster-lock and weren't using the watch as a diving watch so changed the bracelet?

I'm currently looking for a buyer in the For Sale section so I'd like to know in order to satisfy my curiosity over a question that's been bugging me for years and to have a definitive answer if a buyer asks me about the bracelet.

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks, Phil.
The 5513 1964-1989 the very early 5513 had ref 7336 bracelet with 382 end-links later 1980 plus models had the ref 9315 or 93150 with 580 end-links.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 02:51 AM   #3
Phi.H
"TRF" Member

Mine has 501 B end links. Seems to be wrong bracelet then but it looks good and suits the watch. Still wonder why so many of these with this bracelet. Another thought occured to me; maybe this was originally on a strap and the GMT bracelet was cheap & available ????
Old 5 May 2016, 09:11 AM   #4
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
As my story with Rolex started when I purchased a Sub back in the '70's, I can verify that as long as I remember they were on their own bracelets with the extention, whatever you want to call it, divers, oyster clasp, etc.

My first one, a Sub with no date, ( a 5513 of the time ????, who knows, I new nothing about models at that time ), had the extention link, but the bracelet had folded links. The watch is long gone, the remainings of the original bracelet are still with me, as I had changed it once due to breakage.

To verify Padi, I took off my wrist my current 1983 5513 to check, and the original bracelet reads 93150 with 580 end links.

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 10:47 AM   #5
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The 5513 1964-1989 the very early 5513 had ref 7336 bracelet with 382 end-links later 1980 plus models had the ref 9315 or 93150 with 580 end-links.
^this
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 10:55 AM   #6
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
great resource here:
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=347108

@heuerautavia
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2016, 11:12 PM   #7
Phi.H
"TRF" Member

Yeah, it certainly seems that this is definitely the wrong bracelet........but why are there quite a few out there with the GMT bracelet? That's the mystery.
Old 5 May 2016, 11:18 PM   #8
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi.H View Post
Yeah, it certainly seems that this is definitely the wrong bracelet........but why are there quite a few out there with the GMT bracelet? That's the mystery.
There are quite a few because as a replacement the GMT bracelet is less expensive than the Submariner bracelet. Therefore, when a store/dealer has a "head only" watch they can make it whole with less money invested. That is also why many have the less expensive/more common 501b end links instead of the rare/more expensive proper 580's on vintage sport watches.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 08:27 AM   #9
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post

My first one, a Sub with no date, ( a 5513 of the time ????, who knows, I new nothing about models at that time ), had the extention link, but the bracelet had folded links. The watch is long gone, the remainings of the original bracelet are still with me, as I had changed it once due to breakage.
I had put the divers extention on my other Oyster, the one of my GMT, and kept the bracelet and the normal clasp.

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2016, 10:21 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
My 1972 SUBMARINER 5513 had the USA Oyster bracelet (C&I).

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2016, 05:28 AM   #11
Phi.H
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
There are quite a few because as a replacement the GMT bracelet is less expensive than the Submariner bracelet. Therefore, when a store/dealer has a "head only" watch they can make it whole with less money invested. That is also why many have the less expensive/more common 501b end links instead of the rare/more expensive proper 580's on vintage sport watches.
Yep, that makes perfect sense. I'd suspected that might be the reason, it always comes to cost eh?
Old 10 May 2016, 08:58 AM   #12
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've seen an old ad that had subs on 7836 bracelets. I'll look for the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2016, 09:19 AM   #13
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I have seen plenty of different bracelets on Submariners. Some of the early gilt subs in the mid 50's came with the expandable 6636 rivet bracelet with 58 end links. Then in the early to mid 60's, the 7206 Swiss rivet bracelet with 80 end links, followed by the 9315 with 380's, and some C&I's in the 70's, then the 93150 with 580's.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2016, 09:22 AM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
I have seen plenty of different bracelets on Submariners. Some of the early gilt subs in the mid 50's came with the expandable 6636 rivet bracelet with 58 end links. Then in the early to mid 60's, the 7206 Swiss rivet bracelet with 80 end links, followed by the 9315 with 380's, and some C&I's in the 70's, then the 93150 with 580's.
Good post mark. You covered it very well.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2016, 03:52 AM   #15
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Good post mark. You covered it very well.
Thank you JP
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5513 , bracelet queries