The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 June 2016, 06:40 PM   #1
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
New Nautilus - early DNA already in the 7118?

Speculation only

Was looking at a 7118 and I can see some possible features that they move to a new 5711 - possibly call it the 5811?

I can see them adding a
1)Thinner bezel
2)More pronounced blue
3)Date window surround
4) Move date window to 6 !?
5) Revise the hand design

Also will likely see the replacement priced higher than the 5711 as the ladies 7118 is now the same price as a 5711.
Old 3 June 2016, 07:05 PM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
More pronounced blue would be nice, not sure about thinner bezel, clearly not date at 6, date needs to be at 3, for date surround why not, hand design don't think so as if I am not wrong, it is the original hand design, so IMO they should stay as they were, about the price increase I hope not though it is a distinct possibility if they do make a remodeling, anyways we should know in 4 months time...

Can't believe they put the same exact movement in a 35.4mm case as in the 40mm one for men...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 08:30 PM   #3
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I think 1, 2 and 3 would be good. However, thinner bezel only if the movement was upsized, otherwise the date would be too far from the edge of the dial.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 12:35 AM   #4
Royalex
"TRF" Member

I just hope they will improve the clasp.
Royalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 01:21 AM   #5
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
Speculation only

Was looking at a 7118 and I can see some possible features that they move to a new 5711 - possibly call it the 5811?

I can see them adding a
1)Thinner bezel
2)More pronounced blue
3)Date window surround
4) Move date window to 6 !?
5) Revise the hand design

Also will likely see the replacement priced higher than the 5711 as the ladies 7118 is now the same price as a 5711.
The 7118 was designed to be a more versatile sports watch for ladies. So far all the other offerings were a little more glitzy. A larger population of women is looking for upmarket watches to wear in an office environment but still with a high level of understatement. The 5711 was too big for most and the 5800(although no longer in production) too "boring" for most. The wave design of the dial and the playful use of limited arabic numbers makes it slightly more appealing to women.

1) dont think so, the thinner bezel makes it more feminine
2) possible
3) would be nice finishing touch
4) dont think so, position of the date window gives visual distinction between male and female model
5) dont think so, the hand design is part of the backbone nautilus. It was never designed to be a ladies watch. That is why imo the watches designated as ladies nautlus look so different. They incorporate nautilus design elements but they are nothing like the original. When it comes to watches I am a traditionalist and I believe that many who chose the 5711/3700 etc deep down share those sentiments.

I agree that the price of a (replacement) 5711 might be raised slightly to better justify the 7118 price. Or perhaps the 7118 will be lowered in price. Although a nice watch I get the impression that its price point keeps its sales numbers down in a comparative sense.

Perhaps we will see some arabic numbers introduced?
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 01:28 AM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Date window surround yes of course. It's on a few other models already.

Tinkering with hands and date window location would really be a mistake imho.

Blue dial is perfect as is.

I would appreciate a return to the monocoque case design.

Given my indulgence I would have a manual movement and no date.
Old 4 June 2016, 03:48 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't think they will change the blue colour on the basic model, will cause too much antagonism between the two, much easier to just have a new colour like black. Date surround very likely but it stays at 3. I think a PC is most likely tho, or possibly just a pure travel time.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 04:52 AM   #8
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
And The upcoming new models are.... drums rolling....... NONE wouldn't we be disappointed... Monocoque design would be great but they cost much more to produce so I think we can forget, and sorry but a middle ground between the actual blue and the PT blue or TT blue would be great IMO, and date surround in WG would give it a nice touch...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote