The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 17 July 2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Zman86
"TRF" Member

Bought my first Rolex today....

Hello everyone. I had been planning to buy myself a fine watch to celebrate graduating from college. I went out today to try on some watches to see what they would feel like, to get a good idea of what I'd be buying when I went to pick up my new watch. I've had a few brands in mind, Breitling, Bell&Ross, RGM, Baume & Mercier, Omega, the list goes on... First watch I tried on was a Baume & Mercier Hampton Square, Black dial, black rubber strap, and I loved it, but decided against it for my first good watch, I may have to get one in the future.

Making my way around the case, I tried on a Tag Heuer Carrera, didnt really like it that much. Next was a Tag Heuer Monaco, stainless bracelet and case with a blue dial. Loved this watch also. I made my way around to the Rolex's, and there it was sitting there, a Rolex Submariner from an estate sale. This was the watch I had lusted for since I knew what a watch was. It is a 16800, and had just gotten back from Rolex Canada after a complete teardown and overhaul, including restoring the bracelet and polishing the case back to a mirror finish. It was beautiful. I walked around the mall for an hour before I decided to go back and put a downpayment of half the watches value so they would hold it for me. I'm very excited, as this is something I've waited for years to get.

However, there were some aspects that were holding me back from getting a Rolex, mainly the fact that they are widely viewed as status symbols and to flash to the rest of the world that you have money. I didnt buy a Rolex for this reason, I bought it to celebrate a special occasion for myself, and I bought it due to Rolex's reputation of being able to stand the test of time, and I wanted something that will last my lifetime so I can give it to my children, and them to theirs, etc. This is why I chose Rolex, that and it looks damn good with just about any outfit. I didnt plan on buying a watch today, but I just couldnt let it get away from me.
Zman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2008, 10:03 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Welcome and congrats.

There are soo many good and positive reasons to buy a Rolex.

The status symbol and money issues are some elses problems, I wouldn't let that affect you at all.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2008, 10:10 PM   #3
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Thats great news!
congratulations
If you are able to we all love pics on here!
Welcome to TRF

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2008, 10:39 PM   #4
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Welcome to TRF

Enjoy our stay here and have a great time

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Zman86
"TRF" Member

I will have pictures as soon as I get the watch. I didnt have enough to pay all at once, so I should have it in a few weeks. I cant wait!
Old 17 July 2008, 11:01 PM   #6
Luminor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea Sea-
Great watch and congratulations :)
Luminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 01:00 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to the Forum..

Great choice...
Old 18 July 2008, 02:44 AM   #8
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you got the one that 'sang' to you! Congrats!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 04:10 AM   #9
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Can't beat a Sub.

Not knocking the other brands but you can be safe in the knowledge that you've bought one of the best and something a whole lot more special.

Forget about the poseurs and posturers, you've done yourself proud with your achievement.

Congrats on a fab watch.

Jim
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 04:27 AM   #10
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
Great choice Zman. I did exactly as you are doing now. I paid 3 seperate installments of cash for my LV. The time in between payments seemed like an eternity. When you get it on your wrist it will feel like one of the most rewarding moments ever (except probably finishing college). Wear it in excellent health!!
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 04:44 AM   #11
diversified
"TRF" Member

It's great to hear the excitement of a persons first Rolex. Enjoy. I'm also surpised to hear you were looking at a RGM, perhaps RGM is a bigger company then I thought.
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 10:47 AM   #12
Zman86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversified View Post
It's great to hear the excitement of a persons first Rolex. Enjoy. I'm also surpised to hear you were looking at a RGM, perhaps RGM is a bigger company then I thought.
I happened across them on a website while I was looking a Breitling Chronmats. I love their model #109 Pilots Chrono and model #250 Classic Aviator. I decided against them in the end since I didnt think one of their watches would be suitable for day to day use, they are more of a dress watch. I may get one in the future though...

Model #250
[IMG]http://www.rgmwatches.com/250CA_001.jpg[/IMG

Model #109

Quote:
Sounds like you got the one that 'sang' to you! Congrats!
Pretty much, I saw it and said "thats the one" outloud in the jewelry store

Quote:
paid 3 seperate installments of cash for my LV. The time in between payments seemed like an eternity. When you get it on your wrist it will feel like one of the most rewarding moments ever
Its only been a day and it feels like forever. I paid half up front, even though they only required a $1000 down, and I should have the rest paid off within a month. Being able to wear it more than 5 minutes is motivation to get it payed off fast.
Old 18 July 2008, 05:47 PM   #13
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
well, RGM is manufactured around the corner from here, in Lancaster County, Pa.
if you go to NAWCC Shows, you'll see em selling their watches for way under list!
they ARE a fine company, but I do not believe they produce their own movements.
and CONGRATULATIONS !! on that Sub...they're wonderful watches, and CLASSICS!
best,
dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2008, 10:17 PM   #14
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
first one is always the greatest love hang on to it!

oh and Welcome to the madness called TRF!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2008, 08:37 PM   #15
cityguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman86 View Post
However, there were some aspects that were holding me back from getting a Rolex, mainly the fact that they are widely viewed as status symbols and to flash to the rest of the world that you have money. I didnt buy a Rolex for this reason, I bought it to celebrate a special occasion for myself, and I bought it due to Rolex's reputation of being able to stand the test of time.
Exactly my sentiments too when I bought my very first Rolex (a sub date ) just a few days ago. Always wanted a Rolex for it's time tested quality and heritage but could afford it and also held back for the same reason you quoted as being flashy.

It was only recently that I discovered the professional series and had many sleepless nights after my eyes fell on the sub date. Finally decided that life is too short to care about what others say, and more importantly, the watch is too hard to resist. Although my savings now has dipped, but now a very very happy owner of a Rolex.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Sub as much as I am now.
cityguy is offline   Reply With Quote