The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 July 2008, 04:36 AM   #1
cocopeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 116234
GMT IIc ceramic vs Sub no date

Hi everyone, I did a current thread on "thinking of a GMT 2 ceramic and today came across a sub no date, non-certified chronometer in ross-simons in paramus nj mall. I really like the look of the GMT 2c and its new bracelet with that watch. However the sub no date looked beautiful on my wrist, he sized it and it fit well. Retails for $5300, he said he would sell it for 5035 and ship it to me to avoid tax. Would you trust Ross simons to ship it via ups? It would cost $50 to do this. Is this a good deal, I like it because it does not have a 24 hour hand which I wont use and the dial is very simple. Thanks
cocopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 04:57 AM   #2
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopeep View Post
Hi everyone, I did a current thread on "thinking of a GMT 2 ceramic and today came across a sub no date, non-certified chronometer in ross-simons in paramus nj mall. Beautiful on my wrist, he sized it and it fit well. Retails for $5300, he said he would sell it for 5035 and ship it to me to avoid tax. Is this a good deal, I like it because it does not have a 24 hour hand which I wont use and the dial is very simple. Thanks
I'm always amazed to see what people down select too. Like the "What should I buy - a VC tourbillion or a Sea Dweller? I plan to both dig ditches and attend the ballet.

How is it possible that you were considering a GMT-IIC when you don't like/need the 24-hour hand nor the bezel? You try on an SS Sub and it sings to you. Well then that's what you should buy.

As to the price? Buy them all day from AF for $4,700 and I think all the new ones are COSC. Of course, it's the same movement. It does raise a question I can't answer though. Does Rolex regulate a non-COSC watch if it's 10 seconds fast (ie out of COSC spec) for free?

You have a lot of other watches? A SS, non-cert'd, no date sub is about the most basic, no frills Rolex you can get. Wouldn't appeal to me, but to each his own. If I went Sub, I'd get a date and COSC at a minimum. Maybe go used if $$ are an issue.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 05:09 AM   #3
cocopeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I'm always amazed to see what people down select too. Like the "What should I buy - a VC tourbillion or a Sea Dweller? I plan to both dig ditches and attend the ballet.

How is it possible that you were considering a GMT-IIC when you don't like/need the 24-hour hand nor the bezel? You try on an SS Sub and it sings to you. Well then that's what you should buy.

As to the price? Buy them all day from AF for $4,700 and I think all the new ones are COSC. Of course, it's the same movement. It does raise a question I can't answer though. Does Rolex regulate a non-COSC watch if it's 10 seconds fast (ie out of COSC spec) for free?

You have a lot of other watches? A SS, non-cert'd, no date sub is about the most basic, no frills Rolex you can get. Wouldn't appeal to me, but to each his own. If I went Sub, I'd get a date and COSC at a minimum. Maybe go used if $$ are an issue.

Hi, I like how the GMT 2c looks alltogether, but to be honest I dont need the 24 hour hand, so it would be more for bragging rights. I dont have many other watches, an old concord delirium in all steel, a vintage swiss benrus and a timex
Old 30 July 2008, 05:14 AM   #4
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopeep View Post
Hi, I like how the GMT 2c looks alltogether, but to be honest I dont need the 24 hour hand, so it would be more for bragging rights. I dont have many other watches, an old concord delirium in all steel, a vintage swiss benrus and a timex
Avoid buying for bragging rights. Do buy for utility. I'd find a COSC Sub Date somewhere if you like the overall look. SD is you don't like the bubble on the crystal.

Again, the price doesn't sound all that awesome to me but others can probably advise more accurately. About the cheapest Rolexes you can buy, so even 10% off isn't that much.

Of course, this is free advice and that's what it's worth. The best advice I've EVER read on this site is if YOU LOVE IT, than it's right for you. Good luck to you.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 05:18 AM   #5
superdelsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6.
I know how you feel cocopeep. I have a GMT II, but still like the look of the Sub no date, and the Sea-Dweller. The lack of the cyclops cleans the dial, and adds a more professional, or rugged look in my opinion. Get the one that makes you happy. The current Sub is on the way out, maybe the non-date will be dropped from the line, who knows. The GMT IIC will always be there if you decide that you want it too.
Old 30 July 2008, 05:43 AM   #6
veilstylez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Avoid buying for bragging rights. Do buy for utility. I'd find a COSC Sub Date somewhere if you like the overall look. SD is you don't like the bubble on the crystal.

Again, the price doesn't sound all that awesome to me but others can probably advise more accurately. About the cheapest Rolexes you can buy, so even 10% off isn't that much.

Of course, this is free advice and that's what it's worth. The best advice I've EVER read on this site is if YOU LOVE IT, than it's right for you. Good luck to you.
I agree with Bighat....price doesnt sound to great. I dont think a No date sub is worth 5k. Get a Sub-date or the GMTc, you wont regret it.
veilstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 06:13 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I disagree......

5300 is the MSRP so 5035 out the door is quite reasonable for a brand new Sub, and more than a thousand less than you can get the new GMT for....

I have a Sub on right now and I would always grab it before a new GMT Ceramic - I'm one of those people who likes the looks and feel of the Sub better.
Old 30 July 2008, 06:43 AM   #8
cocopeep
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your input everyone! One thing I would not know until I lived with both watches is which one would be more comfortable on the wrist. So far they both look similiar, I did not try on the GMT yet, but I do have the DJ (as shown) in my avatar and the sub was very comfortable given that it uses the old style bracelet.
Old 30 July 2008, 08:37 AM   #9
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
You can do better with the price as many AD's in this area have the same watches sitting unsold in the cases.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 08:48 AM   #10
mike
"TRF" Member

I can't speak to pricing in your area so I won't comment there. Try the GMT IIc on. You know how the Sub fits so trying the other ought to give a good idea which is for you.

At the end of the day it's all about the best watch for you.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 11:36 AM   #11
Texsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSGMTc
I agree with Mike. Before you buy either one, go to an AD where both are on display and try both on. Good luck.
Wife's SS WG MOP Ladies DJ Z series
Texsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 12:19 PM   #12
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
A decent guy has one for sale here for a lot less...
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:04 PM   #13
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Go For GMT II-c!!!
I think that Sub ND price is a bit high...
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote