The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 July 2008, 02:18 AM   #1
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Should Rolex Jump Into The Limited Edition Arena...

The past few years Rolex has re-introduced the Milgauss, honored the Submariner, and re-designed the GMT.

So, why haven't they introduced a Limited Edition model to get the collectors sidling up to the bar. ?

I'm not sure what it might be....Maybe a Red, or possibly a Sub with no crown guards...something retro.

A couple of watch makers seem to be making a living by introducing several LE's each year...

Should Rolex jump on that band wagon ??
Old 30 July 2008, 02:26 AM   #2
dotcomakazee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 42mm
I think they should "re-introduce" the Red Submariner with the superdome. That watch makes me horny.

dotcomakazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:27 AM   #3
mfer
"TRF" Member

I've thought about this before as well. It would be cool, but I'd never be able to afford them.

I would love to see them though, but might take away from the value of the other watches? Don't know. It would be crazy. Just imagine 2000 subs that the only difference is that they say Submariner in red. They could charge whatever they wanted for them!

It would be really exciting also to see what is coming out each year. I mean there are so many dial combination I would love to see. How about a white faced sub with black bezel or a white face pepsi gmt.

This could increase the fake market however. I mean people could just make a Rolex dial combo and say it is a LE.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:29 AM   #4
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Honestly i don't think that rolex will jump in the limited edition arena for the following reasons:

Limited edition products come in limited numbers and this means that only few people will be able to put their hands on them this might be a good idea on the one hand for the collectors but on the other hand you can't generate a lot of hype around a product and a lot of profit and we all know that rolex is after the profit.

Whereas when you generate a lot of hype for a specific product you can have higher profits as the production is lowered and not limited, generate more attention and all of your customers will just die to get one the only thing that a company will have to do is to lower production.

To my way of thinking rolex is after exclusiveness and not limited edition watches

Limited edition products usually are made when you want to revive a brand or when you want to generate some attention and that's what patek is doing for example patek became quite a phenomenon the last decade and that's because of their successful marketing strategies not to mention Hublot which i totally respect in terms of marketing

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:33 AM   #5
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Sure if they want to compete with Omega and Panerai. The problem with L.E.'s is that once you start making them, you can't stop and soon your L.E.'s become meaningless.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:33 AM   #6
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
no

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:34 AM   #7
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang427 View Post
The problem with L.E.'s is that once you start making them, you can't stop and soon your L.E.'s become meaningless.
Exactly

Old 30 July 2008, 02:36 AM   #8
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Limited edition stuff are more of a showcase than actual profit a good example is the VC Tour de ille which is the most expensive watch in the world or the bugatti veyron

It's all about getting peoples attention to look at your product and your other products

Old 30 July 2008, 02:43 AM   #9
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Larry

I don't think they should.

I think it goes against the whole Rolex marketing ethos. The LV is a testament to this. If they were interested in L.E the LV would be a true anniversary Sub....available for one year only, however here we are, years later and it's still going strong.

Red subs or whatever were never limited editions, they were just responding to current trends. Same as today with the new dial options etc, who is to say that in 30 years time we will not all be clamouring over the latest DJ dials or AK colours?

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:50 AM   #10
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Older vintage Rolexes are pretty much "limited" in its own rights since the availability is very low.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:52 AM   #11
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
All LE's do is put some collectibles out there that become super high priced, a source of fraud, and an economic benefit only to later owners (i.e. not the manufacturer).

I prefer to think of all Rolexes as exclusive watches that are, inevitably, produced in limited numbers (styles change, of course).
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:55 AM   #12
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
One look at the debacle the AP ROO LE situation has become and you'd be against it.

It's simply become BS GM fodder.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 02:59 AM   #13
Mr Sandman
"TRF" Member

I dont want to see Rolex go down the limited edition route and I dont think they should either.

You can buy a limited edition of any of the following items in the UK
Corgi toy trucks and cars
Bachmann and Hornby railroad locomotives
Walls magnum ice cream
Ball point pens
even cans of baked beans

Is this the area that Rolex really would put their superb items.........I think and wish not.........leave it to a lesser brand with something still to prove
Mr Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 03:01 AM   #14
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can buy a limited edition of any of the following items in the UK
Corgi toy trucks and cars
Bachmann and Hornby railroad locomotives
Walls magnum ice cream
Ball point pens
even cans of baked beans
Don't forget bears...Martin probably won't the git!!!!!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 07:33 AM   #15
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I think Rolex is doing the limited edition stuff by stealth. The LV is one such example. They produced the big O version with the CD set for 1 year and then changed the font and removed the CD. That one year production is your Limited Edition!

Besides, if they do these LE gimmick like Omega's moon watch LE, it's going to be a big joke and will lower their brand value, IMHO.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 08:04 AM   #16
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
I think Rolex is doing the limited edition stuff by stealth. The LV is one such example. They produced the big O version with the CD set for 1 year and then changed the font and removed the CD. That one year production is your Limited Edition!

Besides, if they do these LE gimmick like Omega's moon watch LE, it's going to be a big joke and will lower their brand value, IMHO.
X2!
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 08:09 AM   #17
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
What? And follow the Audemars & Panerai route of hype in so called limited numbers...?!

No thanks

Tacky

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 08:11 AM   #18
SPORTSFAN
"TRF" Member

I like the way that Rolex are totally aware of their past,for example the reference number of the DSSD,(using the 666) but do not rehash things like the red writing..........
Also I believe that collectors know that these models will not be re-introduced thereby maintaining the value of premium pieces
As a company they seem to have always looked forward for inspiration whilst obviously realising what is happening to watchmaking trends.
I also think that they do not need to make a limited edition to "manufacture" collectability

Regards Mike.
SPORTSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 08:17 AM   #19
dcvelo
Banned

Not a good idea, then you'll have a company like AP, where every new model they come out with, is an LE, and the prices are ridiculous, and so are the people that buy them.
Just my 2c.
dcvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 09:34 AM   #20
mike
"TRF" Member

I think the value stems from desirability rather than an arbitrary number.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 08:44 PM   #21
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
No need.
They already control the watches market world wide.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 09:17 PM   #22
pessoa00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
Limited edition products usually are made when you want to revive a brand or when you want to generate some attention and that's what patek is doing for example patek became quite a phenomenon the last decade and that's because of their successful marketing strategies not to mention Hublot which i totally respect in terms of marketing
Besides the "advanced research" watches, I don't think Patek has limited edition models. They do have a very limited production of most their models (except maybe for calatravas and ladies editions), as they have too many diferent references and not that many watchmakers.
pessoa00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 10:18 PM   #23
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Le + rolex = costly + waitinglist

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 10:44 PM   #24
Lol-x
Facilitator

Well to go against the grain, of all you guys I desparately want to see a Limited Edition Rolex Commemorative Comex Double Red Seadweller with Maxi Dial (blue lume), anti-reflection crystal, in Titanium case (50,000 units world wide) might be pretty cool. Price $12,500.

Then again these would only go to guys who are buddy-buddy with their AD's.

Maybe a 42mm Explorer with new lume 1016 style, display back and packaged a altimeter (30,000 world wide).

O.K. I'm convinced, forget about it. I couldn't afford it anyway. As has been said, Rolex already hsa created their own limited numbers and it is tantamount to limited edition by stealth.

I don't want to see a limited edition that costs $12,500 from an AD sell on e-scam for $80,000.

I think when the first Milgauss GV came out some dude advertised it 'Buy it Now' on E-scam for $50,000.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 11:11 PM   #25
jimand7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
All LE's do is put some collectibles out there that become super high priced, a source of fraud, and an economic benefit only to later owners (i.e. not the manufacturer).

I prefer to think of all Rolexes as exclusive watches that are, inevitably, produced in limited numbers (styles change, of course).
you can think of them as exclusive if you want, but they are not at all exclusive they are EVERYWHERE...now if the price of a watch makes it exclusive thats a different story...but to me it does not.
jimand7 is offline   Reply With Quote