The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 28 July 2016, 06:08 AM   #1
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Simple Regulation - Different Movements

I have used my 1675 GMT Master as my daily watch since I bought it new in 1967 - 49 years ago.

This vintage of GMT has a 1575 calibre movement and this can be regulated simply by resting the watch face-up at might to gain a couple of seconds or winder-up to lose a couple of seconds. By using this method of regulation the watch is always within 2-3 sec of right time and I only need to unscrew the crown to adjust the date at the end of months with less than 31 days.

In the past week I have become the proud owner of a 2009 Rolex Air King that has hardly been worn (it was owned by a now-deceased family member, so I know its history). The Air King has a 3130 calibre movement. It gains a couple of seconds a day but changing its night time 'resting' position doesn't seem to affect its rate. Is there a simple way of regulating this movement without having to unscrew the crown or will I need to manually adjust it as necessary?

Any information/advice will be much appreciated.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 10:45 AM   #2
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

The rate is 28,800 b/h always the same. It's not assumed that any position is minus. It could be that all position are within 0 to +6
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
As far as i know the newer movements are much less susceptible to a variation in position. Have you tried different positions? Otherwise you can have it regulated to perform as you want it to.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 02:06 AM   #4
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your replies. I have tried the Air King in different positions and there is no change in rate as there is with the GMT Master. I know I can get the watch regulated but it really isn't that bad, at +2sec per day, so I will just adjust it manually every few days.

Thanks again,
Stan.
Old 29 July 2016, 02:56 AM   #5
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
My dblue runs at about -1 per day. I've tried various positions and no change. First watch that's actually lost time; most others were +2 to +4 area so it's something a bit different but I certainly can't complain about being within a second a day. I set it fast by 30 seconds every couple of months & I'm always within 30 sec of actual
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 07:49 AM   #6
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrankel2 View Post
My dblue runs at about -1 per day. I've tried various positions and no change. First watch that's actually lost time; most others were +2 to +4 area so it's something a bit different but I certainly can't complain about being within a second a day. I set it fast by 30 seconds every couple of months & I'm always within 30 sec of actual
I'm of a similar view - as long as I'm within +/- 15 or 20 sec of actual time I don't sweat about it and the watch can run for a few weeks without adjustment. In reality, for practical purposes very few people really need to have the actual time to within a second or two. As far as I'm concerned the really important thing is that the watch is consistent in its rate (at present mine are varying their rate by less than a second a month) and the only time to worry is when the rate starts varying widely.

Stan.
Old 1 August 2016, 05:11 AM   #7
ming the merciless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post
I'm of a similar view - as long as I'm within +/- 15 or 20 sec of actual time I don't sweat about it and the watch can run for a few weeks without adjustment. In reality, for practical purposes very few people really need to have the actual time to within a second or two. As far as I'm concerned the really important thing is that the watch is consistent in its rate (at present mine are varying their rate by less than a second a month) and the only time to worry is when the rate starts varying widely.

Stan.
If you're talking from a purely practical point of view nobody would be buying expensive watches in the first place. I like my watches to be keeping as good a time as I can get them without spending a fortune.
ming the merciless is offline   Reply With Quote