The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 September 2016, 05:02 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
AD for independents

The AD of some big independants, if my funds were greater, I would probably get this one, quite a masterpiece, MR, tourbillon, open work, looks amazing, and for what it is not crazily priced, probably looks even more stunning IRL.
Of course my favorite indie is here as well, Kari Voutilainen, was supposed to meet him in October but due to problems in our plannings the meeting will be on November 28th, can't wait, have heard the man is a great human being

Check it out they have few but very cool pieces

http://www.eksowatches.com/fr/horlog...n-renaissance/
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 09:55 PM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Of course my favorite indie is here as well, Kari Voutilainen, was supposed to meet him in October but due to problems in our plannings the meeting will be on November 28th, can't wait, have heard the man is a great human being
That's a shame that your meeting was postponed.

This will make for a great thread! Meeting Kari to design your watch (albeit, I thought you said it was already in the works and you were sharing ideas on paper with him...I'm probably confused) and walk us all through what it takes in pictures. This will be a fun thread and marked my calendar. Don't know much about him, so will be interesting to hear and see how your meeting goes. Will require a lot of pics as you draw out your design and work the process.

So is he designing a 1/1 piece for you? Assuming it will be tourbillon since it's a one of one commissioned piece?

I looked at some of his 'production' watches and they are not priced too bad and quite nice dials.

Exciting times
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 10:08 PM   #3
KarlS
Banned

Yes I am giving him full help in the design of his watch...going to put a battery in it ...AAA size
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 11:19 PM   #4
PJ S
Banned

^
I don’t think 1.5v is enough to power a tourbillon – surely you’d be better off with a 9v PP3?
It’ll add a few cms to the case thickness, but would offer 4-5 years between changes.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2016, 12:34 AM   #5
martinr
"TRF" Member

Voutilainen can be purchased through Manfredi in the USA, they don't have stock or inventory, the design details get worked out and then the piece is ordered, sounds great but I don't have that much confidence in my design choices or ability and I'd rather see a finished watch instead of hoping my custom design choices look good. Especially starting at 85K.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2016, 12:40 AM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Voutilainen can be purchased through Manfredi in the USA, they don't have stock or inventory, the design details get worked out and then the piece is ordered, sounds great but I don't have that much confidence in my design choices or ability and I'd rather see a finished watch instead of hoping my custom design choices look good. Especially starting at 85K.
I think my biggest issue is I flip in and out of watches too often and would never keep it. Curious what secondary market is on these (especially if one of a kind)?

The process would be fun for 8 months, but wonder how quickly that would wear off after delivery.

Will live vicariously through you Lapince (you should start a thread that you keep updated with pics, comments, frustrations, timeline, etc...would be apprecaited)
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2016, 12:59 AM   #7
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts.....look, like, choose!!!
Old 29 September 2016, 01:01 AM   #8
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I think my biggest issue is I flip in and out of watches too often and would never keep it. Curious what secondary market is on these (especially if one of a kind)?

The process would be fun for 8 months, but wonder how quickly that would wear off after delivery.

Will live vicariously through Lapince (you should start a thread that you keep updated with pics, comments, frustrations, timeline, etc...would be apprecaited)
I think secondary could be a bit brutal....there are some examples at Watch Exchange but if you going to want to flip one day stick to pretty safe designs versus having Bacchus and nymphs engraved all over the case.....now that's an idea...
Old 29 September 2016, 01:07 AM   #9
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Very cool brands. I really like Ludovic Ballouard's Upside Down watch.

Edit: pic too large
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2016, 02:52 AM   #10
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Another vote for nymphs, and plenty of 'em.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2016, 03:08 AM   #11
PJ S
Banned

^
Prevert!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2016, 07:14 AM   #12
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
That's a shame that your meeting was postponed.

This will make for a great thread! Meeting Kari to design your watch (albeit, I thought you said it was already in the works and you were sharing ideas on paper with him...I'm probably confused) and walk us all through what it takes in pictures. This will be a fun thread and marked my calendar. Don't know much about him, so will be interesting to hear and see how your meeting goes. Will require a lot of pics as you draw out your design and work the process.

So is he designing a 1/1 piece for you? Assuming it will be tourbillon since it's a one of one commissioned piece?

I looked at some of his 'production' watches and they are not priced too bad and quite nice dials.

Exciting times
No keeping it simple, the base will be a Vingt-8, but dial and numerals as I want, the movement will be ruthenium with geneva stripes, officer's caseback with unique engraving.
In fact I postponed the meeting, my friend Dimitry aka de66 is in on the project since day one, has helped me all the way, amd he couldn't make it, so I postponed in order for him to be there as well, wouldn't have been correct on my part going without him, when I go to CH I stay at his place, he found me the Davos AD and has been a huge help on the Vouti, Dimitry my friend if you read this, thanks again for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Yes I am giving him full help in the design of his watch...going to put a battery in it ...AAA size
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
I don’t think 1.5v is enough to power a tourbillon – surely you’d be better off with a 9v PP3?
It’ll add a few cms to the case thickness, but would offer 4-5 years between changes.
I never liked tourbillons, except JLC gyro ones...

Quote:
For me you don't buy such a watch at the AD, you customize it to be the most perfect possible.
You know that if I am getting it you are the one to thank Martin, one day you posted a pic of the blue dial Vingt-8, it was a revelation, before that I knew about Kari, but had seen only classical pieces from him, when I showed it to my wife she told me "incredible it seems it was made for you"
So without you I probably would never had commissioned it, thanks

Quote:

Will live vicariously through you Lapince (you should start a thread that you keep updated with pics, comments, frustrations, timeline, etc...would be apprecaited)
Well on regular pieces, from what I found, you loose around 15-25%, not sure on special ones. Ok will start a thread it could be nice.
I see it as being my only dress watch, but a very funky dress watch, even if I don't wear it often don't matter, it's clearly not a daily, for dailies I will have 1 Rolex, 3 PP and 1 AP.

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts.....look, like, choose!!!
Lol. Have a good meeting tomorrow Karl, send my regards for me

Quote:
I think secondary could be a bit brutal....there are some examples at Watch Exchange but if you going to want to flip one day stick to pretty safe designs versus having Bacchus and nymphs engraved all over the case.....now that's an idea...
Don't like safe designs, and don't intend to flip, I intend to give the Daytona to my son for graduation of university, the 5711 for his wedding and when I die I want him to have 2 pieces from me, my daily, the 5712, and the jewel of my collection, the Vouti, maybe the AP and 5167R will still be here, or replaced by others, but 2 I want to give him while I am alive, the other 2 I want him to receive them when I will be gone.
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote