The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2006, 09:41 AM   #1
paceme2
"TRF" Member

Daytona "Fat Hands" on F series question. I have heard that

sometime during the "F" series production, Rolex changed to what is currently called "fat hands".

Does anyone out there have pictures of the old hands vs the "fat hands"? Or can anyone describe to me the difference's between the two? I want to be able to determine if an "F" series has the fat hands or not just by looking at it with the naked eye. I'm referring to a 116520. Many thanks.
paceme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2006, 03:36 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paceme2
sometime during the "F" series production, Rolex changed to what is currently called "fat hands".

Does anyone out there have pictures of the old hands vs the "fat hands"? Or can anyone describe to me the difference's between the two? I want to be able to determine if an "F" series has the fat hands or not just by looking at it with the naked eye. I'm referring to a 116520. Many thanks.
Don't have a picture right now...but you're right. Daytona did come out with the fat hands in an F-series BLACK dial model. It's instantly noticeable by the thickness of the hands which are....well, thicker than the normal Daytona!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 10:11 PM   #3
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paceme2

The difference is quite noticeable. The "fat" hands have a wider black strip down the middle of the hand, with wider Luminova at the end of the hand. I find them much easier to read than the old hands, which I have on mine.

I'm not sure what JJ means by the "Black" dial model. The fat hands are the standard hands on all current Daytona models. They were a running change late in F-series production, and all D-series (the current series) watches have them.

I don't know if there are any pictures here, but another watch forum, newturfers.com, has a whole section devoted to Rolex photos. You'll find plenty of example of both versions there.

Last edited by Manatee; 12 April 2006 at 10:13 PM..
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 04:19 AM   #4
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee

I don't know if there are any pictures here, but another watch forum, newturfers.com.
Peter, given the bad blood between those morons over there and what they did to a large number of us here, I think it's in extremely bad taste that you post the URL to that place on our forum.

I realize you're still a member there and that's fine. But they don't need any advertising and they don't need any added traffic from this place or it's members. I just think it's in terribly bad taste that you would consider posting any mention of that place here. Particularly because I do recall you asking others here months ago to let that place go and move on. You also know that any posting of that place can elicit an eruption of negative posts.

We DO have a search function that works nicely on this forum and you CAN find a few pix of fat-hands Daytonas, as I've seen them when they first got posted.
Old 13 April 2006, 04:36 AM   #5
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
These pics dont belong to me but I am pretty sure you will be able to see the diff. Its much easier to tell in person than in pics usually unless we can find Steve's pic from TZ where he put a small hands and a fat hands side by side.

Old style hands

Late F serial and onwards "fat hands" Notice how big the black "gap" between the White gold parts of the hands are.

RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 05:01 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Hi Peter,

I only said BLACK dial 'cause that's the first image that came to mind. I remember having seen one on another forum (WWF, I think), but I see now that both coloured dials have them.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 April 2006, 05:35 AM   #7
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Hi Peter,

I only said BLACK dial 'cause that's the first image that came to mind. I remember having seen one on another forum (WWF, I think), but I see now that both coloured dials have them.

JJ

Well the black dial ones were the reason for the fat hands I beleive. Ppl were complaining that it was hard to tell the time with the old style hands. Up until now I was unaware that a Daytona could be used to tell time I thought they just looked pretty in pictures.....
Old 13 April 2006, 05:54 AM   #8
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF
Well the black dial ones were the reason for the fat hands I beleive. Ppl were complaining that it was hard to tell the time with the old style hands. Up until now I was unaware that a Daytona could be used to tell time. I thought they just looked pretty in pictures.....
That's why mine gets very little wear. For those who want exclusivity and readability, I recommend the Anniversary Sub. I wear that one frequently.
Old 13 April 2006, 06:13 AM   #9
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's why mine gets very little wear. For those who want exclusivity and readability, I recommend the Anniversary Sub. I wear that one frequently.

Cant you get the new fat hands installed?

A SS daytona is a terrible thing to waste
Old 13 April 2006, 07:03 AM   #10
Manatee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF
Cant you get the new fat hands installed?

A SS daytona is a terrible thing to waste
I could. I thought about doing it when I was in the UK last year, but then I decided it wasn't worth the bother. I'm not a big Daytona fan anyway, due to the lack of date. As for my non-use of it, fear not -- it has plenty of company in the drawer. It's part of a whole tangle of "rarely worn watches".
Old 13 April 2006, 06:23 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I could. I thought about doing it when I was in the UK last year, but then I decided it wasn't worth the bother. I'm not a big Daytona fan anyway, due to the lack of date. As for my non-use of it, fear not -- it has plenty of company in the drawer. It's part of a whole tangle of "rarely worn watches".
Ah ah....so we do have a "drawer full of mistakes" in our midst!!