The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 September 2016, 02:24 AM   #31
KarlS
Banned

It's PR bollocks! Anyway there are no AD in Geneva apart from the Salon. So if you live in Geneva you are probably a salon customer
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 02:39 AM   #32
bharat
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing!
bharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 10:16 AM   #33
Socal to az
Banned

So I have a trip to Europe scheduled in the spring. I'll be in Germany and Zurich. Are there any tricks or tips to buying in Switzerland? Any salons or stores better than others? Do they haggle prices there or is the published price the published price? Have never bought overseas and seeing how prices are cheaper there- might be worth it to buy there the next piece. Appreciate input
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 10:53 AM   #34
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The Geneva Salon has a lot of non-functional watches to try on, but not many for immediate sale. If you wanted to purchase a simple Calatrava, I am sure they can accommodate you.

Switzerland is a country of only 8 million people, but has 21 Patek ADs, which I think is a large number. With any AD, what they have on inventory, they will sell to you. They can order other watches for you and let you know when it arrives. Arnaud has some first hand experience, so he can probably give you more up to date information. However if you are not a regular visitor to Switzerland, I don't think it makes sense to order a watch from a Swiss AD just because it is a little less expensive. Unless you live in the EU, traveling back and forth to Switzerland to pick up a 5711/1A is probably not worth it.

Of course the Geneva Salon does not discount. But as Arnaud mentioned, other Swiss ADs may offer a small discount. So it really is up to individuals to develop relationship with ADs that can best serve their watch purchasing needs.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 05:51 PM   #35
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Didn't come up on the search...let them make it a sticky
They never do. I have been posting swiss lists for about three years now. It would be great to have all original price lists made sticky. It is always nice to easily find other country official price lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
The problem is the Salon won't have any of the watches you want for sale. You place an order and wait.
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
It's PR bollocks! Anyway there are no AD in Geneva apart from the Salon. So if you live in Geneva you are probably a salon customer
PR bollocks absolutely, and monopolist practices. The Salon never has any of the more in demand models anyway. They even recommended me to search out other dealers for the models I mentioned.

Not necessarily. Lausanne would be your closest option about 45 minutes from Geneva. Many of those working in Geneva who can afford PP frequently dont live there so they would most likely also consider montreux, crans montana and perhaps even st. Moritz (wintersports) as viable alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
So I have a trip to Europe scheduled in the spring. I'll be in Germany and Zurich. Are there any tricks or tips to buying in Switzerland? Any salons or stores better than others? Do they haggle prices there or is the published price the published price? Have never bought overseas and seeing how prices are cheaper there- might be worth it to buy there the next piece. Appreciate input
In Zurich your options are Beyer, Gübelin and the patek Boutique (which is a separate store but also run by Beyer). Zug is not too far and Bern is just over an hour from Zurich.

Discounts in Switzerland are relatively small compared to some of the wilder claims of 20% discounts or more, but that is because usually swiss prices are lower than in the usa or in asia from the onset.
Swiss dealers are far more scrutinized by PP than others. Swiss prices are also usually amongst the most competitive, specially when factored in the VAT discount. Models like the 5711 you can expect no discount but you most likely wont find one at dealers.

I would call German and Swiss dealers in advance to ask what inventory they have and to tell them what what you are looking for. Gübelin and Beyer have more than one store and they can check what is available in their inventory. Beyer has a very good vintage division but a little pricy, ask to see their folder with inventory: its nearly a museum experience. No patek sold at all at zürich airport btw.
A friend of mine has the dealership in Davos but he frequently spends weekends in Zürich. I will meet with him there this weekend. PM me for his personal email and more info.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 12:56 PM   #36
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Nice price list! Thanks for sharing.
Old 24 November 2016, 05:23 PM   #37
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by starship33 View Post
First post here for me but the "rules" at the salons (at least the one I know i.e. Paris and Geneva) for high demand pieces like 5711 are :

- non local customer, 4 years waiting list
- local customer, 2 years waiting list
- already a salons customer, 1 year

Don't know if it's 100% true, but I had the same version of the story both in Paris and Geneva. For 5712/1a delays are quicker but same rules applied.
Oh try to order a 5711 from the Paris Salon, I guarantee that as a first purchase you won't get anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The Geneva Salon has a lot of non-functional watches to try on, but not many for immediate sale. If you wanted to purchase a simple Calatrava, I am sure they can accommodate you.

Switzerland is a country of only 8 million people, but has 21 Patek ADs, which I think is a large number. With any AD, what they have on inventory, they will sell to you. They can order other watches for you and let you know when it arrives. Arnaud has some first hand experience, so he can probably give you more up to date information. However if you are not a regular visitor to Switzerland, I don't think it makes sense to order a watch from a Swiss AD just because it is a little less expensive. Unless you live in the EU, traveling back and forth to Switzerland to pick up a 5711/1A is probably not worth it.

Of course the Geneva Salon does not discount. But as Arnaud mentioned, other Swiss ADs may offer a small discount. So it really is up to individuals to develop relationship with ADs that can best serve their watch purchasing needs.
If you can get it where you live I don't see the point going to CH, I couldn't get what I wanted in the Salon or the other AD, we have 2 AD's for the whole of France, just 65 million people, so good luck getting an in demand piece if you are not a customer already...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 06:11 PM   #38
henryjoeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270/5235/5131
Thanks, Kari.
Can't find 5200G on the list, does it mean the production has stopped?

Or perhaps it is listed under Gondolo?
henryjoeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 06:20 PM   #39
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
I prefer

la Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Ok Mr. I'm staying at the Four Seasons Geneva (which is a great hotel)
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 06:48 PM   #40
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
la Reserve
hardly a stroll over the bridge to Patek but really nice and modern!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote