The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 3 January 2017, 03:21 PM   #31
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcdfinance View Post
Retail on this watch is exactly $11050.00. I see however that the fair market value is hovering around $7k for used on this particular model.

Sent from my Aster using Tapatalk
You see now what the retail value of your watch is. I doubt you'll get any seller offers lower than the $6K you already have, so PM a couple high volume sellers (Takuya, DavidSW, JustRolexes, Ponycar350, etc.) from the For Sale forum and get a quote on a trade in. It costs you nothing to inquire.

The advantage to trading with a trusted seller is that the new watch likely won't be sold at retail. Their customary discount will be built into the price of the new watch.

Like any other commodity, there are two deals you need to work simultaneously. First get the best deal on your old watch, then work the best deal on your new watch. Think of them as separate transactions folded into the one deal and you will get the best out of both ends.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 03:22 PM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Trusted sellers by 10 miles. Hopefully it's complete and in good shape.

My AD doesn't even deal pre owned so they would offer an obscenely undermarket price.

When I need to sell I always talk to my boys Thanh, David and Tony.

If that doesn't work I sell it myself but that doesn't happen often because they are tops.
Old 3 January 2017, 03:23 PM   #33
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Bobswatches was very fair to me on my 16622 and painless to work with.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 03:24 PM   #34
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollLex View Post
Is Bob's Watches legit?

I am thinking of calling them soon and seeing if they will let my AD verify the purchase that I make.
Bob's is legit. Their sell prices are on the high side and their buy prices are on the low side. But the watches are all genuine. They have a physical location and a watchmaker on staff.

There are quite a few complaints from people selling to Bob's, but none that I've seen from buyers.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 05:32 PM   #35
RollLex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Bob's is legit. Their sell prices are on the high side and their buy prices are on the low side. But the watches are all genuine. They have a physical location and a watchmaker on staff.

There are quite a few complaints from people selling to Bob's, but none that I've seen from buyers.
Thank you.
RollLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 05:47 PM   #36
kiss RJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvad View Post
Trading in a watch is giving away money. Sell it yourself here and pocket the extra dollars.

This is very true
kiss RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 08:08 PM   #37
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
If you buy from Ad's at retail you'll always lose unless it's a Daytona!
Buy form a trusted seller or at a decent duty free price, keep box and card and you will near enough break even after just a short time. Time it just before an increase and you will be on top.
I've seen quite a lot drop big on gold and platinum.
Sell private and then buy from trusted sellers or private if you know what you are doing.
AD's seem to think they are doing people a favour these days and it's hard to get discount. Thirty years ago in the UK it was easy to get 20% off for cash but not now.
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:25 PM   #38
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I believe that a deal can be done with either the right AD or a Trusted Seller. You must first understand what your watch is worth. Not what you think it is worth. Then you must understand what the watch you are looking at is worth and how much the AD or TS has into that item. Easier said than done but with some research you will be close. Then see what the AD and the TS tell you, shop around, decide what you are comfortable with. Once I had been in the watch hobby for awhile I began to figure the trade/flip value when I made a purchase. That way I understood any possible loss. Very important when you buy a watch other than a Rolex or PP, as many values are very poor and some lines that many TS will not touch, Hublot etc. I had a conversation with a well respected TS and he told me to expect 10-15% on average, reduction from what I paid on a new item in great shape on a trade back. The numbers were 7-10% on a trade of a preowned purchase item in great shape. I have also stopped dealing with the same TS on watches I purchased through them. I typically get better offers from others as they don't have the history of the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:31 PM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
I hate to say it, but if your not a trusted seller it's hard to sell on here at a decent price. They say you can hardly lose money on a Rolex, but trust me you do lose unless you bought pre owned at a great price.
I tend to agree in so much as reputation adds value and most, if given the choice between buying privately or through a trusted seller, will go with the trusted seller.

Bottom line, you have to buy right to begin with
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 01:08 AM   #40
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Shop it out. Have a number in mind and be upfront. This is normally a fast transaction.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 04:13 AM   #41
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Trading in a watch is giving away money. Sell it yourself here and pocket the extra dollars.
100% agree, DO NOT TRADE to sellers and instead sell here on TRF.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 04:45 AM   #42
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Govberg only offered me $6000 on my 4 month old Datejust II Dark Rhodium with diamond dial that retails for $11050.00. Bob's Watches the same. You would think it would be worth at least $9k...

Govberg is a Rolex AD, so they can get a brand new one from Rolex for about $6,850.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Sell it yourself on the forum
x2, if you don't have any feedback you'll probably have to do a face to face deal. Be patient and smart about it and hopefully it works out
Old 4 January 2017, 05:06 AM   #43
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Govberg is a Rolex AD, so they can get a brand new one from Rolex for about $6,850.

x2, if you don't have any feedback you'll probably have to do a face to face deal. Be patient and smart about it and hopefully it works out
Clark, that's another good point. An authorized dealer always has that option so if the watch is still in production then he will rarely offer you much more than it would cost him to buy it brand new from Rolex. So for example, a watch like a BLNR or SubLV is unlikely to get you the kind of money you can get selling it yourself or to a reseller.
Old 4 January 2017, 06:04 AM   #44
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
I am a local dealer here in NH and I always try and give people fair trade on their watches, One thing as a lot of you guys and girls already know is there is a handful of companies that hold a storng value if it wasn't for that you would lose big time.

Rolex is a strong sell, so giving a good trade value on a Rolex is just good practice for not only your client but also for your sales.
David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 06:38 AM   #45
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=mjclark32;7259712]Govberg is a Rolex AD, so they can get a brand new one from Rolex for about $6,850.

I don't like this line of reasoning. Tourneau likes to tell me the same thing. But they can't market / internet / watchrecon sell the new one so in theory the used watch is more liquid. My 2 cents
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 06:46 AM   #46
Dcdfinance
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reference 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by David cote View Post
I am a local dealer here in NH and I always try and give people fair trade on their watches, One thing as a lot of you guys and girls already know is there is a handful of companies that hold a storng value if it wasn't for that you would lose big time.

Rolex is a strong sell, so giving a good trade value on a Rolex is just good practice for not only your client but also for your sales.
Where are you located in NH? I am in Hampton Falls...

Dcdfinance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 06:53 AM   #47
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
Quote:
Where are you located in NH? I am in Hampton Falls...

I am in Manchester NH, My contact is (603) 657-0094. David
David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 07:09 AM   #48
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Clark, that's another good point. An authorized dealer always has that option so if the watch is still in production then he will rarely offer you much more than it would cost him to buy it brand new from Rolex. So for example, a watch like a BLNR or SubLV is unlikely to get you the kind of money you can get selling it yourself or to a reseller.
Good point. In this instance it's a discontinued model so it isn't available to AD's anymore
[QUOTE=ap1;7259985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post

I don't like this line of reasoning. Tourneau likes to tell me the same thing. But they can't market / internet / watchrecon sell the new one so in theory the used watch is more liquid. My 2 cents
I don't like it either, but I understand what they mean. You make a good point too. The fact that they can advertise online and then maybe drive someone in the store to try it on, then maybe into a new piece instead with a higher margin etc.
Old 4 January 2017, 07:18 AM   #49
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryacht View Post
Without a doubt, a trusted seller will offer you more.
Agree 100%
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 07:18 AM   #50
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Govberg only offered me $6000 on my 4 month old Datejust II Dark Rhodium with diamond dial that retails for $11050.00. Bob's Watches the same. You would think it would be worth at least $9k...

I'm sorry you are wrong there, you will never get $9K for that watch, not even in a private sale. Trade in would be 6-7K tops.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 07:39 AM   #51
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
From what I understand an AD gets a new Rolex for 50% off retail. So they are paying $5,000 for a watch that sells for $10,000. If you go to sell or trade your $10,000 watch to that AD how can they even offer you $5,000 on that used watch when they can get a new one for $5,000?
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 07:49 AM   #52
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
From what I understand an AD gets a new Rolex for 50% off retail. So they are paying $5,000 for a watch that sells for $10,000. If you go to sell or trade your $10,000 watch to that AD how can they even offer you $5,000 on that used watch when they can get a new one for $5,000?
ADs pay more like 62 or 63% of retail.

Even if an AD can advertise preowned watches on the internet like Govberg does, they're still going to make the watch new again and have their service center give it a look to make sure it's in proper working order. Govberg also offers a warranty for 15 months which could become costly if something was to go wrong and they had to cover a servce. All of these services, including advertising on the web, aren't free so they need to buy low no matter what brand they're buying.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 08:17 AM   #53
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This only works if you know what you are doing and preferably have some deals and references to go with it. Every time you do a private deal you are assuming a risk that you are dealing with a sensible and fair person on the other end. So if your time is valuable, it may very well make more sense to do the trade. Buying/selling used isn't for every one.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 09:28 AM   #54
tvad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
This only works if you know what you are doing and preferably have some deals and references to go with it. Every time you do a private deal you are assuming a risk that you are dealing with a sensible and fair person on the other end. So if your time is valuable, it may very well make more sense to do the trade. Buying/selling used isn't for every one.
I have said as much in a post following the one you quoted (see #30 in this thread).

There are plenty of folks who happily trade for the ease of it, and willingly leave thousands of dollars on the table for the simplicity of a trade.

To each his own.
tvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 10:41 AM   #55
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
Best- Peter Lee on TRF
Worst- Tourneau (they offered me $6000 on a 6 month old 116520 and $4800 on a 6 month old Hulk)
Truly an insulting offer. Laughable.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2017, 11:27 AM   #56
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I'm sorry you are wrong there, you will never get $9K for that watch, not even in a private sale. Trade in would be 6-7K tops.
I tend to agree considering Jomashop is offering a new one right now for $8,775.
Old 4 January 2017, 11:29 AM   #57
ryansoulsit
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Takuya is Number 1 for me (Buying, Selling and Trading)