The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2008, 10:37 PM   #31
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight2472000 View Post
I mean where?
At a place that sells Rolexes.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2008, 10:47 PM   #32
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I've seen stupid questions posted on this forum from time to time, but this one,............

You have hurt my feelings as I thought I still held the award for the top ten most stupid questions!
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 12:20 AM   #33
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirt1957 View Post
You have hurt my feelings as I thought I still held the award for the top ten most stupid questions!
Don't fret, Bubba. You're still in the top 5 for the most stupid questions.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 12:27 AM   #34
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
If you go to www.rolex.com you will be able to find and AD (Authorized Dealer) close to where you live. I would try to visit several and see who will give you the best price. Until you really learn what you are looking for, buying a preowned Rolex is risky, so stick with an AD, you may pay a tad more, but they will never steer you wrong. Best of luck,
~Scott
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 02:22 AM   #35
Darren Retour
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy M
I purchased a Y serial GMT Master 2 brand new from a watch dealer on Ebay in 2004. Transfered the money to his account and the watch arrived a day later. He had a long line of selling expensive watches and 100% feedback. Today i'm not too sure i would be that trusting........ I always wondered whether my watch was a very good replica,couldnt bring myself to find out !!!.The build quality is excellent,i swim/dive with it on, it keeps good time,lasts 3 days after i take it off and came with all the papers and boxes. I live in Bexley, Kent, England and luckily i'm only 5 mins from the Rolex Service Building. Yesterday i took the plunge to give it a service hoping that the guy on the front desk who was taking my watch in wasnt going to say "sorry this is a replica" as he removed the wristband and took the back off to inspect the movement. To my relief he gave me a copy of a service agreement, told me that it was now registered to my address and there was no problems with the case number etc. I have to wait 6/8 wks now and then have to part with £285.00 of my hard earned cash to get my baby back which will be refurbed into a brand new condition again before trading it for a 16613 2008 Blue Subby !!!!!!.

I do not post much on here but many many thanks to all who do on here so i can get some very valuable information. !!!

regards Darren
Darren Retour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 07:15 AM   #36
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirt1957 View Post

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 07:16 AM   #37
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwru32 View Post
irani
you are one good looking guy! i mean it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
The BEST JJ's pic I ever seen!!!
Thanks, guys!! You should have seen me 40 years ago!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 07:17 AM   #38
James T
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 16610
Quote:
I mean where?
AD of course!
Old 6 September 2008, 07:49 AM   #39
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I've seen stupid and inconsiderate responses posted on this forum, but this one. . . . .
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 07:51 AM   #40
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Safest place: AD
Best place: whereever you can find a genuine Rolex at the best price.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 12:55 PM   #41
knight2472000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
Your choice... there are several tiers of pricing and security levels to consider

AD (Authorized Dealer)= Guarantee of authenticity, factory warranty, possible discounted price but generally the most expensive option.

Grey Dealer= Genuine Rolex but, no factory warranty, lower cost than AD (usually)

Used= Low security, fakes abound, deals are around ranging from great to greater than list price.

By security, I mean guarantee that the watch is authentic. Rolex is probably the most copied watch out there. Some of the fakes are quite good. Unless you know what you're looking for, it's would be easy to be fooled. If you buy used, try and use a reputable business (brick & morter and bonded), not eBay or the like. Original box and paperwork are always desireable to get w/a Rolex. The paperwork will confirm the serial number of the watch. Beware, there's fake paperwork out there too.

Short answer, the AD may be the highest cost but offers the highest service, accountability and guarantee of getting a genuine Rolex. At the bottom of the chain, buying used from an unknown... exactly the opposite. Least expensive but the most risky.
Great post, thanks for your comments!
knight2472000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 01:39 PM   #42
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
A little more on "Grey (or is it Gray) Dealers"...

So called "grey" dealers are usually brick & mortar businesses that have Rolex inventory, sometimes both new and used. They are not authorized dealers with Rolex. They get their new stock from AD overstock and liquidations, etc. I find it hard to believe that Rolex watches become burdensome and must be wholesaled out. Regardless, the watches are genuine but... some GD's will actually remove serial numbers. Don't go there. You can get box and papers from a GD and pricing varies. Most offer better pricing than new at an AD. Usually you will get a guarantee but from the vendor themselves, not Rolex. Most claim to have "expert trained personnel" on-board to handle warranty and repair issues. I'm sure some are great, others maybe not...

Here's one to check out...

www.essential-watches.com

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 06:31 PM   #43
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you all think the best way to buy a Rolex is?
This is an important question and one that I had to ask myself not so long ago. My main consideration was peace of mind and not getting ripped off with getting a fake or frankenwatch.

I could not afford a new Rolex so was looking at second hand. The choice I had was grey market or buying privately. I did a lot of internet research to find out price ranges and the model I would like but was not really comfortable about taking the plunge. Although people recommended grey dealers I did not know these people personally.
I decided to look around for trade in stock at AD's and was surprised at how competitive the prices were in the UK. I emailed as many AD's in the UK as I could and posted on this forum of which I was a newbie at the time for advice. In the end and with help from members here I got a good deal on a 2002 GMT which had just had a new RSC warranty.

I took the option of buying from an AD because I felt at the time this gave me the best security. In the future I may buy from this forum from a member I could trust. I would certainly post a would like to buy (WTB) as I know members would be able to help out either by offering a watch or pointing me in the right direction.

You have joined the best and most friendly Rolex forum, enjoy your time and ask any bloody questions you care, the vast majority are here to help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1000187.jpg (114.8 KB, 34 views)
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote