The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 September 2008, 11:17 AM   #31
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
The white face Milgauss may be the dark horse.

Rumour has it that supply will dwindle and it will be the first to be discontinued when the 40mm Datejust is upon us.

I wonder how long it will take for GV production to catch up to the other two, or will it ever?
Old 8 September 2008, 11:24 AM   #32
CKay
"TRF" Member

1) Prices of modern day NEW Rolexes will not appreciate.
This is not true, as prices of NEW Rolexes increases at 5-10% yearly. As for your pre-owned Rolexes, prices will not be as strong, as there are tons of them in the resale market. It is rather fortunate for us that the pre-owned ones still hold their values well due to the huge demand for them.

2) GV Milgauss is rare.
This is not true. Watch dealers are holding on to them in their vaults, waiting for some goons to offer to buy them at 20-30% above MSRP.

3) Watches are good investments in the long run
If this is true, then Warren Buffett will be buying watches rather than stocks and shares. I have read works on Warren Buffett and they do not mention that he invests in watches.

4) Stocks and shares are good investments
If you have invested in the share market before the credit crunch, you will be downgrading to Casios and would not be on this forum.

5) I buy my watches as I like them, not because I feel that they will appreciate in value over time. If I want to invest, it will not be on watches. This is a no brainer.

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD
CKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 11:34 AM   #33
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKay View Post
1) Prices of modern day NEW Rolexes will not appreciate.
This is not true, as prices of NEW Rolexes increases at 5-10% yearly. As for your pre-owned Rolexes, prices will not be as strong, as there are tons of them in the resale market. It is rather fortunate for us that the pre-owned ones still hold their values well due to the huge demand for them.

2) GV Milgauss is rare.
This is not true. Watch dealers are holding on to them in their vaults, waiting for some goons to offer to buy them at 20-30% above MSRP.

3) Watches are good investments in the long run
If this is true, then Warren Buffett will be buying watches rather than stocks and shares. I have read works on Warren Buffett and they do not mention that he invests in watches.

4) Stocks and shares are good investments
If you have invested in the share market before the credit crunch, you will be downgrading to Casios and would not be on this forum.

5) I buy my watches as I like them, not because I feel that they will appreciate in value over time. If I want to invest, it will not be on watches. This is a no brainer.
Wow, so much common sense in one post.

Sadly, there appears to be some guilt trip or coping mechanism some delude themselves with in order to try to justify the expense. Maybe they are married.
If the watch you buy actually grows in value in excess of inflation (not many even do that) you can count yourself very fortunate. Buy what enjoy wearing and the "yield" will be pleasure, not profit.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 11:37 AM   #34
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKay View Post
I have read works on Warren Buffett and they do not mention that he invests in watches.
But he does invest in watch stores.

His store in Omaha:

http://shop.borsheims.com/Borsheims/...AndAccessories
Old 8 September 2008, 12:18 PM   #35
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watches are FUN. They just happen to keep their value unlike many other ways to have fun.
Old 8 September 2008, 12:54 PM   #36
Fred2

Over all, I don't expect the average Rolex to maintain it's value, but rather not depreciate as fast as other brands.
Fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 01:46 PM   #37
CPCC
"TRF" Member

The GV craze appears to be coming to an end. Check out the classified forum. from 14k they have a hard time getting 8k for them. Pick up a daytona, always a sure bet.
Old 8 September 2008, 02:31 PM   #38
astcell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCC View Post
The GV craze appears to be coming to an end. Check out the classified forum. from 14k they have a hard time getting 8k for them. Pick up a daytona, always a sure bet.
We saw the same thing with Kermit. We are seeing it now with DSSD.

Can we call the DSSD by Dipsy (DeepSea)? Then we can have Bluesy, Platty, Millie, Dipsey, and Kermit. :-)
Old 8 September 2008, 02:44 PM   #39
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
It is interesting to see the confluence of a less than ideal economy and the actual release of these watches that have been on everyone's mind since Basel.

Seems the "rage" is less intense or burned out faster than it would have been otherwise if folks were a bit more optimistic.

Personally, I'm trying to ignore what my share of the Freddie and Frannie bailout will turnout to be. Yep, we'll all eventually pay it. The cost of the war on terror since 2001 all in one day?

I try to avoid the temptation of ADs at times like this, but I think my curiosity is getting the best of me and I might just have to make the rounds and see if any of these "impossible to get" models are sitting in any display cases.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 03:47 PM   #40
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

In the original post it was mentioned that the watch wouldn't be flipped but maybe re-invested.
Whats the difference.
You are still selling the watch.
Old 8 September 2008, 03:59 PM   #41
astcell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
In the original post it was mentioned that the watch wouldn't be flipped but maybe re-invested.
Whats the difference.
You are still selling the watch.
Flipped=sold
re-invested=sold for something which appreciates faster.

Good call if you can do it!