The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 September 2008, 12:56 PM   #61
k4vks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozn1 View Post
I'm part of the younger generation as I'm 27. By the time I was 16 I had a cell phone and a pager since I was already working, so it's not like I was short on something to tell time with. Be that as it may, once I started becoming successful in my field I gravitated to the Rolex brand because of the quality and prestige that came with it, and at the age of 23 I bought my first datejust. I think many other will do the same.
I share a similar story. I'm 28 and just like you had a pager in my mid teens and cellphone about 17ish when I had my first "shirt and tie" job. I only recently bought my first Rolex though a few months ago at age 28 as a gift to myself for finishing grad school.

I always had a fond appreciation of watches. I was never a jewelry wearer. I believe that guys look best without all the rings and chains, and a nice watch should be the real jewelry. (my personal opinion of course....)

73's
AJ4VS (new callsign)
k4vks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 01:04 PM   #62
mretzloff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
I'm 17 and I own a Rolex, and I bought it with my own money.

Most teenagers don't wear wristwatches because they prefer their cell phones. Most teenagers don't wear Rolexes because they cannot save enough money. I'll admit, teenagers stink with money management. I'm the only teenager I know who owns stocks, has an IRA, and has a Rolex.

"M" 16610 Submariner
"M" 16570w Explorer II
mretzloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 03:33 PM   #63
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
I'm 17 and I own a Rolex, and I bought it with my own money.

Most teenagers don't wear wristwatches because they prefer their cell phones. Most teenagers don't wear Rolexes because they cannot save enough money. I'll admit, teenagers stink with money management. I'm the only teenager I know who owns stocks, has an IRA, and has a Rolex.

Very Impressive young man! I don't think myself as being old yet more than twice your age. I'm very happy for you for starting early in saving money, investing and rightfully enjoying a piece of luxury that almost no other teens would even think of.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 03:44 PM   #64
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

I obtained my first "nice" watch at 30 - and it was a Tag-Heuer quartz divers watch. First Rolex was at 36, so I passed the Tag to my Dad. Now, many watches later, I just gave Dad a new version of his beloved Tag and he passed my old one on to my 16 y/o son. I thought that my son would not have any interest in watches, but to my surprise he wears that Tag all the time. In fact, he has been commenting on my Rolex watches and how he would someday like one, which kind of makes me happy. I told him that a 3.5 gpa at high school graduation will earn him a stainless steel Rolex, which appears to really have him motivated :-)

I think there is hope for the future - he already leans a hard "right" politically and likes Rolex

Hoppy
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 04:49 PM   #65
vzmax
"TRF" Member

I grew up in NYC and as a teen I would see all of the fake rolexes in Chinatown. I fell in love with the SS Daytona white face. I've always wanted the real one but could never afford or find one. I'm 29 now and last year my wife went on the hunt for a Daytona to get me as a wedding gift. She fell short mainly because of the Crappy AD's here in Miami and having to be a preferred customer. Anyway she ended up getting me my first Rollie, the classic GMT-master II black bezel which is the pride and joy of my collection. Since then I've purchased 2 Omegas and 2 Rolexes. I'm still on the hunt for the Daytona but I've managed to make some contacts at a few ADs.
vzmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 04:55 PM   #66
Mwing
"TRF" Member

rolex isnt only a watch, it is a piece of jewellery
Mwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 05:10 PM   #67
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader View Post
Most teenagers don't wear wristwatches because they all have cell phones that show them what time it is. I wonder if Rolex will have any kind of a market when the teens of today grow up.

What think ye?
Well, my brother in law is 21 and he's never worn a watch for that very same reason. I guess it's a pretty common sentiment. I'm not sure it'll carry over until they're in their 30's or 40's though. In due time, they may find that watches are more than just mere "timepieces." They may still see their value when they age.
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 05:49 PM   #68
Drumr

I'm 18 with a 16610 inherited from my father. Ive always had a great appreciation for watches. My father and I had shared a collection of about 30 watches, (many knockaround timex, but a few movado etc) which i was pretty much free to wear throughout elementary/middle school(well, i never wore the movados to school but you get the idea). three years ago i got a TT movado museum, and now since about a year ago i have the rolex.

As far as wearing the watch around kids my age, my close friends know why i have it and have a great appreciation for both the rolex name and the bond i have with it. Ive only had maybe 3 people other than those very close to me comment on it and i usually keep the authenticity ambiguous. Also, in another thread someone had said that an 18 yr old would appear prentensious wearing a rolex. I've really found no such instance. The design of the SS Sub is so copied/timeless that at a glance the uneducated person wouldn't think much. It it were TT or YG then it would probably come into play.

To me, the watch has no value, as in nothing is worth more than this watch to me. My father worked very hard to provide for myself and my mom and this watch is really a testament to that. He wanted to hand this down to me one day, unfortunately it happened much too soon.
Drumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 06:33 PM   #69
kiasunkiasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Rolex already DOES have a watch for teenagers (albeit RICH teenagers!).

Lots of nice colours!

The idea behind the Clown-Master II is to make teenagers think of this chap:

Agreed that the YM-II is f-ugly.
kiasunkiasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 10:56 PM   #70
Sam Taha
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader View Post
Most teenagers don't wear wristwatches because they all have cell phones that show them what time it is. I wonder if Rolex will have any kind of a market when the teens of today grow up.

What think ye?
If it were just about telling time, we'd be wearing Casios. Rolex isn't just about that. Ya dig?
Sam Taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 11:09 PM   #71
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I liked watches from an early age. I can remember being like 8 or 9 and picking out a cheap divers watch from a TG&Y dept store. It was a selfwinding POS that went dead after a couple of hours and kept horrible time, but it looked cool to me. I have been in love with them since. My 6 year old has a couple of cheap digital watches, but seems to be more impressed with his Ben 10 toy alien watch thingy for now. Although he always looks at my Rolex and says "that's mine when I'm 21 right daddy?". Of course I've told him that so he must look forward to it.
Old 9 September 2008, 01:17 AM   #72
zseriessub

No Rolex for me when I was a teen, but I did have a really rad Fossil on a big leather cuff that had a digital animated dragon on the dial. I thought it was pretty much the coolest thing ever.
zseriessub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2008, 04:58 AM   #73
ss date just

Watch: GS02377-01 Rotary
I am just 15 and I’m very interested in watches I can’t remember a time when I haven’t had one on my wrist. At the moment I own some of the more lower priced watches such as the rotary moon phase watch and a Seiko chronograph but I have started saving and hope to be getting my first Rolex by at least 17.
ss date just is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2008, 05:48 AM   #74
daytona1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzmax View Post
I grew up in NYC and as a teen I would see all of the fake rolexes in Chinatown. I fell in love with the SS Daytona white face. I've always wanted the real one but could never afford or find one. I'm 29 now and last year my wife went on the hunt for a Daytona to get me as a wedding gift. She fell short mainly because of the Crappy AD's here in Miami and having to be a preferred customer. Anyway she ended up getting me my first Rollie, the classic GMT-master II black bezel which is the pride and joy of my collection. Since then I've purchased 2 Omegas and 2 Rolexes. I'm still on the hunt for the Daytona but I've managed to make some contacts at a few ADs.

Seybold building batha. You can find anything you want there...
daytona1 is offline   Reply With Quote