The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 25 September 2008, 11:40 PM   #1
marlin57

Watch: Montblanc Chrono
to DAVE S,SPRINGER, & Terry,ORCHI as well.

hi,there been an issue regarding my past listings on Ebay,a claim by members of this ROLEX forum that Rolex never put there brand on a Tudor watch & have convinced Ebay Trust & Safety that its a Trade Mark infringement,NOT Correct,please look at these current items,both Tudor & ROLEX clearly on the dial,Item number: 170265955090,Item number: 180293155193.I have inquired of the Trade Marks office in Australia,who could only suggest that a trademark lawyer would have to inquired of.Then if its down to lawyers who is right ?.It is clear from the early days ROLEX did want a clear association with the TUDOR brand,by in these watches haveing ROLEX on the dial as well as Tudor,signing casebacks of some with ROLEX,some with ROLEX on the inside cover of TUDOR watches,bracets & crowns as well.I believe that this had stopped after 1990.Please consider ,my watches are restored for Mr Average who wants a near new vintage restored watch,not the collector who wants a perfect original.ebay seller,Marlin57.
marlin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 12:03 AM   #2
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Milan, I have no idea about such matters, but I am looking for a nice vintage Tudor. I will vist your listing and see what you have. One thing I would like to ask is for clarification of your statement "Please consider ,my watches are restored for Mr Average who wants a near new vintage restored watch,not the collector who wants a perfect original.ebay seller,Marlin57.". Are aftermarket parts used during the restoration?

I will go take a look at your inventory.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 01:14 AM   #3
marlin57

Watch: Montblanc Chrono
re .Parts used in restoration

Hi,its a hard one to answer,as the Tudor range of vintage watches have about 10 different generic swiss movements used in there manual wind watches alone,from ETA,AS,FEF,specifyed by Rolex & then signed Tudor on the movement,some caliber 59 were signed Rolex under the dial.Parts are readily available for most & serviceing can be done by your local watchmaker at a fraction that ROLEX will charge. I have managed to obtain a small number of original Rolex signed crowns to use on my restored Tudor watches which also fit Rolex Precision watches.I believe the early Tudor had the ROLEX logo on the crown.I have varied the dial layout to appeal to a variety of buyers,some may like a roman dial in white,some in black,some may like a arabic dial in white or some in black,or original raised numbers.Since a repainted dial is not considered original to the collector,i customise then to appeal to the general public.A new feel to a vintage watch,where also new watches take a retro look.I have been restricted by ebay at this time to listing a limited few restored Watches as a result of forum members complaining to Ebay about the layout of my dials & convinced ebay that Rolex never put there brand on a Tudor watch ,which is NOT CORRECT.So i have some unsold & unable to list.One crrently listed is a real beauty,EBAY Seller.Marlin57
marlin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 03:07 AM   #4
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Marlin, for whats is worth I believe what most are trying to say is: We have not seen Rolex put their CROWN on the DIAL of any TUDOR watch straight from the factory.

You are correct that they (ROLEX) did use their movements in the early days also the crown and possibly bracelets all with the ROLEX insignia (CROWN) on them. This is not disputed.

Just to clarify (personally I believe I have read that people such as yourself are Redialing a TUDOR dial into what looks like a ROLEX (to me this is copy right infringement) and selling them on eBay with out saying this is a TUDOR not a ROLEX.

I submit:

http://www.yorktime.com/articles/2004072783211 as follows:

Home | Used Rolex, Omega and other Vintage Watches | Search Brands | Articles | Contact

September 25, 2008

The cases are similar to Rolex models and often are sold with Rolex’s famous Oyster case. During the period when both Rolex and Tudor used acrylic crystals, the Tudor and Rolex models would often share a similar depth rating.

Many Tudor models up to the 1990’s were sold with Rolex signed bracelets and crowns also.

The Tudor line can be traced all the way back to the beginning of the 20th Century. The earliest Tudor I have owned dated to the 1930’s and used a caliber 59 movement, also used in the Canadian market Rolex’s.

Over the years various models have been produced in an attempt to increase the brand’s market presence. The most popular model Tudor has produced is most likely the Submariner. Early models used a modified Fleurier 350 caliber, branded the Tudor 390 caliber. These are often mistaken as Rolex movements as they shared a similar rotor winding device.

During the mid to late 1960’s Rolex switched to another manufacturer, ETA to supply the base movements for their watches. These Early Submariners have become quite collectible. The increase in value has led to a large quantity of fakes penetrating the market. These are being produced in the Far East and are easily spotted upon close examination along with some investigation into what the real model should look like.

Other popular models are the older Chronographs as well as the Ranger and Ranger 2 models, which rode the wave of market demand created by the Rolex Explorer 1, reference 1016. Both watches share a similar dial configuration.

So are these watches considered “real Rolex’s?” I would say NO! However Tudor watches have earned a place at the forefront of watch collection as they are a unique product that reflects on the history of the Rolex Watch Company. Actually in some cases particular models actually sell for more than some popular vintage Rolex models.

To those who complain about the Rolex modified movements and suggest it makes them less desirable, perhaps you need only examine the phenomena of the Rolex Daytona, which used a modified Ebauche movement up until 2002, I would suggest no one considers those watches les than acceptable Rolex’s.

So, how's the weather in your part of the world.

Earl
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 08:52 AM   #5
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
milan,
like you said yourself,there is definitely a trend of misleading the customers over these rolex signed tudors.You may not be the type of person who would do this,but there are many many others who would and do.I honestly dont think you where singled out because of your watches,but everyone who sells these misrepresentation is culpable.what if someone buys your tudor signed as a rolex and even though you stated emphatically that it is not a rolex, they can turn around and sell the same watch to a lady looking for a rolex for her husband who doesnt know a thing about the difference in companies and tell her that it is the same thing-its just a little cheaper because they used a different movement-So you see,the only right thing to do is to ban the sale of these types of watches as they are misrepresentations.
as far as rolex signing their name on tudors-back in the early days of rolex and tudor they had many different lines coming out all the time,this watch you have shown us might have been of those short lived models that where only made for a small market because I have never seen it ,nor have I seen any reference to it in any old adds or reference material.But it definitely was not a common watch and other than that example I dont believe you will find another tudor that ever came from the factory with the rolex name on the dial.
I think it best you just start a web site where you can sell your rudors and just build your customer base on ebay with watches that cannot be used to deceive others,and then you can direct them to your site and let them decide from there.
cheers,
steve
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote