The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 September 2017, 11:01 PM   #31
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I'm glad you recognize that it's MY awesomeness that makes the suit and not the other way around.
I did not mean speedo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 11:42 PM   #32
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Yes sir, rub it in more, sir - Ye of enviable physique sir.

I do resemble certain British icons... Churchill! Hitchcock! Buddha!

And right now sitting contemplative on the ole porcelain... shadow looks like Jabba.
I wish it was enviable! I'm just not as fat as most other 50 year olds

I actually had a visible six-pack two weeks before I went into hospital but that's gone now my ability to do CV work has greatly diminished (and I'm comfort eating)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 12:38 AM   #33
c_robbs
"TRF" Member

I had no idea about this. Sounds interesting, if you go let us know how it goes!
c_robbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 12:53 AM   #34
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Any particular reason for getting shirts tailored?

I make do with off the rack, usually get suckered by S$200 items discounted down to $60-80 there's usually enough variation to accomodate size, only sometimes need to go tailor to adjust the sleeves... if nobody San do them at home.

Usually only bother tailoring with suits - I ain't no Italian Hugo Boss physique, more like The GrandGodfather after too many pizzas.

The Asian tailors that I've been dragged to... often have some weird penchance for in-fashion gizmo tailoring... like one jacket turned up with a "mobile phone pocket" inside (waist level, only fits Ericsson T39...) and another has a pen pocket (higher up, did he see my FP hmmm...). Total about turn on the 3rd, suit has pockets but the flap outside is unslitted so I can't put anything in... he says with my figure & that fabric, the pockets with drape open... okay then...

Plus a lot of natter about jacket construction bonded vs floating framing... all I know is one costs double of the other and it needs multiple fittings.

I try to get as much of my clothes tailored as possible; I like to have my shirts snugly fitted like all around like they're a second layer of skin. My shoulders are quite a bit broader than my waist (getting harder to maintain this) so if I buy off the rack, I usually end up with too much fabric around my waist which "pleats" the rest of my shirt when tucked in. I.e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2017, 01:26 AM   #35
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Got to say I actually prefer the looser waist fit as shown in the above left image(with tie) as long as shirt fits well at the shoulders.
Oscarpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 01:30 AM   #36
psv
"TRF" Member

Man, I just put on a pair of Levi's and go to work...
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 01:43 AM   #37
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Its the man who makes the suit not the other way around. So i would not take the trip just to shop for suits.
It's the tailor that makes the suit.

I saw a guy in a Tom Ford suit that fit so poorly it made him look like a teenager in a hand me down suit. You don't need to spend a lot on a suit, but you do need to buy a cut that makes you look good. Often, guys buy the brand, not the fit, and they spend thousands to look like they borrowed a suit.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 02:03 AM   #38
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

I live in Asia, so no need to go anywhere. :D

One of the top rated places to go in Bangkok is called Tailor on Ten. It's a couple Canadian guys that own and run the shop. The rest tend to be Thais or Indians, none of which I trust with a few exceptions. Not trying to promote ToT, but just my opinion of a good tailor.

It really comes down to fabric. A 100% wool suit is ~$600. Holland and Sherry is going to run you $1,000. Shirts the same thing, it comes down to fabric.

I don't want to talk bad about other places, but there is a top rated one I used to go to for shirts that a lot of Singaporeans travel to Bangkok to buy from. Compared to ToT, the stitching is inferior, the collar backing is inferior, and the cutting and stitching is outsourced. My point is you have to do your homework, just like anything. If you are paying less, there is a reason.

So yes, I would highly recommend traveling to Asia to get a suit, some pants, and shirts. Great craftsmanship, low prices, and usually excellent service.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 02:32 AM   #39
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
I live in Asia, so no need to go anywhere. :D

One of the top rated places to go in Bangkok is called Tailor on Ten. It's a couple Canadian guys that own and run the shop. The rest tend to be Thais or Indians, none of which I trust with a few exceptions. Not trying to promote ToT, but just my opinion of a good tailor.

It really comes down to fabric. A 100% wool suit is ~$600. Holland and Sherry is going to run you $1,000. Shirts the same thing, it comes down to fabric.

I don't want to talk bad about other places, but there is a top rated one I used to go to for shirts that a lot of Singaporeans travel to Bangkok to buy from. Compared to ToT, the stitching is inferior, the collar backing is inferior, and the cutting and stitching is outsourced. My point is you have to do your homework, just like anything. If you are paying less, there is a reason.

So yes, I would highly recommend traveling to Asia to get a suit, some pants, and shirts. Great craftsmanship, low prices, and usually excellent service.
thanks Gregg.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 03:12 AM   #40
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
It's the tailor that makes the suit.

I saw a guy in a Tom Ford suit that fit so poorly it made him look like a teenager in a hand me down suit. You don't need to spend a lot on a suit, but you do need to buy a cut that makes you look good. Often, guys buy the brand, not the fit, and they spend thousands to look like they borrowed a suit.

I'm in this camp as well. Don't buy the label, buy something that fits!

Old 16 September 2017, 03:41 AM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
No suite here so I guess I can't add anything other than when I do need one, I'm an off the shelf 42 regular Armani. 6'2" 170 lbs. Soaking wet

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 03:55 AM   #42
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Although I wear sample size suits (38) and can easily shop off the rack, I dont have the patience to have the little tweaks tailored out. Although I will suck it up occasionally.

I primarily use mysuitny for made to measure. They save all maleasurements and tweaks so I can simply go in to pick the fabric, lining, and all the details or do it online. 2 weeks later, I have my suit. All for $1k

They carry a good selection of fabrics and the detailing is good. Best of all, they fit like a glove and I don't need to keep messing with it.

I feel the same about dress shirts although I have not found one hat fits the way I like without significant tailoring for I just go made to measure. Even then, it's not perfect so I find myself refitting them often.

rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 04:14 AM   #43
Audguy
"TRF" Member

you can get 3 piece suits in thailand for 150 usd well you can get as cheap as 50 usd but im not into buying these so i couldn't give a review on quality
Audguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 04:22 AM   #44
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I prefer my shirts roomier in the love handles area
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 12:11 PM   #45
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audguy View Post
you can get 3 piece suits in thailand for 150 usd well you can get as cheap as 50 usd but im not into buying these so i couldn't give a review on quality
You can, but those guys are almost always Paki or Indian and they use pretty bad business policies like bait and switch and high pressure sales. You will see them sitting outside their shops "calling" people to come in. Best to avoid these guys and go with one of the more respected tailors in Bangkok. You still get a great price compared to the west, but you also get impeccable quality as well.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 01:48 PM   #46
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
You can, but those guys are almost always Paki or Indian and they use pretty bad business policies like bait and switch and high pressure sales. You will see them sitting outside their shops "calling" people to come in. Best to avoid these guys and go with one of the more respected tailors in Bangkok. You still get a great price compared to the west, but you also get impeccable quality as well.
So, $15000 bhat can get you a superb suit in that case? Not bad at all. About $500 usd.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 04:55 AM   #47
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
I was on South Korean many years ago on business and chose several fabrics/patterns to have custom sports coats as well as some silk dress shirts made.

Don't think I would make a special trip as I wear a common size and can buy great clothing here.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 05:25 AM   #48
BravoOne
Banned

I use to have this fellow do most of my suits back in the early eighties. (No laughing). The mere fact that he still in business speaks volumes. For those around West LA you might find it worth dropping in for a look. Picked as number 8 best custom tailor in SOCAL for 2017

Greg Chapman Executive Tailors
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote