The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 September 2017, 12:45 PM   #1
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Church's Shoes...

I'm in Chicago and am a stones throw away from the Church's Shoe store. I typically wear Alden's. Any advice on the quality of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 12:49 PM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I'm in Chicago and am a stones throw away from the Church's Shoe store. I typically wear Alden's. Any advice on the quality of them?

Church's makes a good shoe. At least as good as your Alden's.

Edit: They also make some really ugly shoes. I prefer a more modern style, but there's nothing wrong with the quality of their shoes.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
I have a pair of Church's sneakers in blue and absolutely love them. They're almost over engineered and much higher quality than Prada or Bally sneakers. Great shoe company in my opinion.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 02:27 PM   #4
dimag333
"TRF" Member

I like oak street for Chicago

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 02:36 PM   #5
KarlS
Banned

I have always word the oxfords and find them great. You can even get them refurbished at the factory but I couldn't be bothered
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 03:09 PM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Church's makes a good shoe. At least as good as your Alden's.

Edit: They also make some really ugly shoes. I prefer a more modern style, but there's nothing wrong with the quality of their shoes.
^ Pretty much this.

When Prada bought Churches they came out with some throughly ugly fugly shoes. However they still do make some of their standard designs as well.

I don't own any personally myself and mostly that's just because I found that other shoemakers designs more compelling or more to my taste.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Pangit
"TRF" Member

I wear their black consul daily for work. Excellent quality.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 08:18 PM   #8
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I have two or three pairs, great quality. As others have mentioned, once they were bought by Prada their new shoes (to me) were ugly. It was interesting that they (Churche's) then bought Cheaney who make some fine shoes, I have a pair and some boots from them.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 08:23 PM   #9
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I had a pair of their wingtips years ago and they were excellent.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 08:40 PM   #10
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great quality shoes but at a price. I can find the same general look and quality from Allen Edmonds at hundreds less. On sale, go for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 10:36 PM   #11
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I've got a pair of Church's that's probably older than many forum members. Still a great looking Oxford.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 11:38 PM   #12
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Great quality shoes but at a price. I can find the same general look and quality from Allen Edmonds at hundreds less. On sale, go for it.
Well actually Churches are a notch or two above Allen Edmunds. By that I don't mean that you can't end up buying a pair from either and either one lasting you the same amount of time. Usually when you purchase a pair of nice quality Good Year Welted shoes for increasing amounts the improvements are not in whether they will last but in the details such as in better looking this being attributed to better quality leather and attention to details such as stitching and sometimes a more attractive Last or Shape of the shoe. Frankly although they make good Shoes Allen Edmonds is some of the cheapest Good Year Welted shoes you can buy with the exception of some of those who are able to pay their labor force less than what you can in the USA.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 September 2017, 01:54 AM   #13
Dan_lie
"TRF" Member

Ive always worn churches with no complaints, I mainly wear consuls with a suit and I have a suede pair of brogues for other attire.
Dan_lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:53 AM   #14
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
They are great quality and once your shoe has worn out they can remake them for you at their factory in Northampton, UK. However, they never seem to fit me well and the leather can be quite stiff and hard - not great if you have a high instep like I have. But they are a very traditional, high quality and established English brand.
Old 15 September 2017, 02:57 AM   #15
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
They are great quality and once your shoe has worn out they can remake them for you at their factory in Northampton, UK. However, they never seem to fit me well and the leather can be quite stiff and hard - not great if you have a high instep like I have. But they are a very traditional, high quality and established English brand.
The comment about fit should be taken seriously. Unfortunately it's not always possible to compare a pair of Crockett and Jones to a pair of Churches or not at least in the same store. Do keep in mind their are various Lasts as well as widths as well. Unfortunately not even a store that sells Churches will always stock all the various Lasts as well as all the various widths, The standard width tends often tends to be the one they stock.

But if it don't fit don't even go there. Your best to test fit at the end of the day after you've done a bit of walking by the way,

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 September 2017, 02:58 AM   #16
luvan12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post

Don't like the look of Churchs but the quality it just as good if not better than your Aldens.
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 03:06 AM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvan12 View Post
Don't like the look of Churchs but the quality it just as good if not better than your Aldens.

Churches from everything I've heard are better. But then again that is not surprising and it's true when it comes to a good number of Shoemakers from North Hampton.

The United States is by no means known for the best when it comes to good quality men's dress shoes.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 September 2017, 07:18 PM   #18
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Churchs have traditionally been amazing I have about 15 pairs including boots, casual shoes and lots of dress shoes including 2 tones and custom made vintage Hippo skin ones (they are 30 years old).

They are not cheap but great quality. The Prada involvement has not been great IMHO but I can't change that.

This should give you a good sense of what you are buying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBHZcelANVg
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 12:33 AM   #19
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I have Church's (4 pairs) and C&J (2 pairs), they are on a par with each other, quality is similar. Traditional styles are similar. Who are better? I have absolutely no idea.

I agree with Zama above.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 01:45 AM   #20
Theurbancommando
"TRF" Member

Coincidence reading this thread as I was at their factory in Northampton yesterday. You can smell that fantastic calf leather 100m down the road! Great shoes that subtly show the wearer has an eye for quality products IMO.
Theurbancommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 03:36 AM   #21
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I own 2 pairs of Church's. Black and Brown. They are a bit pricey, but the quality and feel are amongst the best I've ever worn.
Old 18 September 2017, 03:41 AM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

they are owned by prada so they must be good
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 03:43 AM   #23
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
they are owned by prada so they must be good
They were great shoes long before Prada even thought about purchasing them.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 September 2017, 03:46 AM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
They were great shoes long before Prada even thought about purchasing them.

So was IWC before Richemont, but thats the big knock against them around these parts. Being part of a group and not independent. just saying.

I would still buy them personally though.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 03:56 AM   #25
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
So was IWC before Richemont, but thats the big knock against them around these parts. Being part of a group and not independent. just saying.

I would still buy them personally though.
Unfortunately such is the way with the world nowadays. The important thing for me is one is it well made and will the product stand the test of time. Two whether it fits me or not and well it does what it's supposed to do, Three whether the design appeals to me. Four how good their customer support is.

But this is pretty much how I look at most things I decide to spend money on. Otherwise I might just get something I can constantly replace every year or so.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 September 2017, 06:01 AM   #26
Marcela
"TRF" Member

On behalf of the ladies - I am a very happy owner of two pairs of the Monmouth boots, monk shoes and couple of pairs of sandals. Excellently done, easy to wear and own :-)
Marcela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 06:38 AM   #27
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I have one pair, bought from that store. They are the prembry (sp?) and are great. Church's is owned by the Prada group so imo the shoes feel great. Welcome to the city.

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 06:44 AM   #28
psv
"TRF" Member

Someone pointed out the Prada ownership. There are people who argue that Church quality and style used to be better before the Prada ownership, I suspect it is about the same, but I go with Crocket & Jones for the higher end stuff.

For C&J, try them on at (one of their few US) store, and then order from the UK when they are on sales a couple of times per year. You'll get the tax free and the dollar is still pretty strong. It comes to about $350-400 instead of $650 (typical US retail price), if I remember correctly
psv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 06:57 AM   #29
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Someone pointed out the Prada ownership. There are people who argue that Church quality and style used to be better before the Prada ownership, I suspect it is about the same, but I go with Crocket & Jones for the higher end stuff.

For C&J, try them on at (one of their few US) store, and then order from the UK when they are on sales a couple of times per year. You'll get the tax free and the dollar is still pretty strong. It comes to about $350-400 instead of $650 (typical US retail price), if I remember correctly
Basically C&J was my preferred boot in this price range. C&J makes some real nice boots. But for shoes for the most part although I have two of their shoes I found their Lasts not to work that well for me.

My favorites for many reasons tend to be from Edward Green and Gaziano and Girling.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons