The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 August 2005, 07:14 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Anyone read any good books recently?.

I am now reading "The Enforcer"

Biography of Albert Donahue, Reggi's minder in the Kray Twins firm.

A very interesting read about London in the 1960's.

Like horrors and one of my favourite authors Stephen King

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2005, 09:17 PM   #2
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I have a few to get through that I just bought. The first one is the new Harry Potter then I intend to read a few historical books. These are "1421, The Year China Discovered the World" by Gavin Menzies and "Infidels" by Andrew Wheatcroft. I recently finished "The First Crusade" by Thomas Asbridge and can recommend it to anyone interested in Christian / Muslim relationships.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2005, 09:31 PM   #3
Manatee
Banned

I'm reading "Opening Mexico: The Making of a Democracy", about the recent change in Mexico's political system at the national level with the election of Vincente Fox.

It was recommended by someone I know who's originally from Mexico, and has an interest in early personal computers.
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2005, 10:38 PM   #4
Atomic

I just finished Ghost Rider by Neil Peart (drummer from the band Rush). It's mostly a collection of letters to friends and general observations on a solo motorcycle trip from just north of Montreal, across Canada, into Alaska, throughout the western USA, Mexico and into Belize. Our moto enthusiasts may get a kick out of it.

Basically it's a travel guide with personal observations after Peart's university aged daughter was killed in a car crash and his wife died of cancer (in the same year). Heavy at times but a good read.
Old 8 August 2005, 11:14 PM   #5
Manatee
Banned

That sounds interesting, John. I'll have to put that on my list. I recently read Phil Lesh's book on the Dead from his perspective. He seems like a pretty straight-up guy. No ghost-writer either.

I enjoy "rock star retrospectives", especially when they're old enough to put ego aside and comment on past events with good sense. I liked that book on Neil Young that came out a couple of years ago.
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2005, 11:40 PM   #6
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee
That sounds interesting, John. I'll have to put that on my list. I recently read Phil Lesh's book on the Dead from his perspective. He seems like a pretty straight-up guy. No ghost-writer either.

I enjoy "rock star retrospectives", especially when they're old enough to put ego aside and comment on past events with good sense. I liked that book on Neil Young that came out a couple of years ago.
It was an interesting read, and Peart is very well read and talks about books he reads throughout his journey and references them and the authors a fair bit. He's got another about cycling in Africa that I want to pick up next.
Old 9 August 2005, 01:09 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
It was an interesting read, and Peart is very well read and talks about books he reads throughout his journey and references them and the authors a fair bit. He's got another about cycling in Africa that I want to pick up next.
Yes think I will have a read of that, the one about Africa sounds interesting
as well.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 9 August 2005, 01:21 AM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I read Goodnight Moon to Dylan last night, very good read but the ending was way too predictable.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2005, 02:22 AM   #9
dfn8tly

Watch: GMT-II
What an absolute delight to have a watch forum where the Off Topic threads discuss something other than cars, car parts or car detailing

I truly enjoy intelligent, thought provoking, beautifully written literature. To that end, I'll make a recommendation of a book I finished a couple of months ago:
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

This is an absorbing historical mystery set amid the secrets and shadows of post WWII Barcelona. As good literature it is miles above most of the trivial trash being churned out today to fill the shelves of the big-box stores.

Already an international best seller published in more than 20 countries.

Enjoyed it VERY much.
dfn8tly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2005, 02:32 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly
What an absolute delight to have a watch forum where the Off Topic threads discuss something other than cars, car parts or car detailing

I truly enjoy intelligent, thought provoking, beautifully written literature. To that end, I'll make a recommendation of a book I finished a couple of months ago:
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

This is an absorbing historical mystery set amid the secrets and shadows of post WWII Barcelona. As good literature it is miles above most of the trivial trash being churned out today to fill the shelves of the big-box stores.

Already an international best seller published in more than 20 countries.

Enjoyed it VERY much.
That sounds a good read,The Shadow of the wind must add that one to my list.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 9 August 2005, 02:32 AM   #11
Atomic

Before reading Ghost Rider, I actually re-read The Fountainhead... one of my all-time faves!
Old 9 August 2005, 02:41 AM   #12
----

I have trouble reading books. No not that way you wankers! It's just that I tend to have too many on the go at once, and not enough time to read them. Add to that the various watch magazines, and it's tough to get through a decent sized book. Right now I am reading three books:

Tuesdays With Morrie - book about a man who visited his professor who was in the process of dying and received many good lessons on life - just started this, so don't know much about it yet. Gift from an Aunt who thought I needed life lessons, I guess......

The Daily Show: America (The Book) - it was an Xmas gift - quite funny in spots - light reading for sure.

Universe on a T-Shirt - book about the search for a universal physics theory that explains everything - this was my pick.

I am not a non-fiction person any longer. I used to read a ton of science fiction (Isaac Asimov, Author Clarke, Phillip K. Dick, Piers Anthony, Brian Aldiss, god the list goes on and on....). Lately I am focused more on history - mainly 20th century stuff. Since August 6th was on the weekend, if anyone is interested in reading an incredible account of the development of the first atomic bomb, then you should read The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. It was honestly a book I had a hard time putting down. Quite a good book on the development of theoretical physics, and incredible detail on the work done at Los Alamos. The follow-up on the first Hydrogen bomb (Dark Sun) was a bit disappointing for me, however.

John, that Neil Peart book sounds great - I'll have to dig that one up once I finish one of the three I'm reading now!
Old 9 August 2005, 04:17 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
The last book I read was "Little Red Riding Hood" to my little Annika. She seemed to enjoy it more than I did.

But seriously, guys, I used to be a very avid reader in my time. Now with being on the computer all day, my eyes are just about ready to shut by the end of the day. Being near-sighted, I have no wish to put any further strain on my ageing eyes.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2005, 05:18 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Now quite a avid reader like most things, but like a good horror story the best.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club