The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 November 2017, 04:43 AM   #61
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Nope...in the vault.

If this isn't the case, then why wouldn't ROLEX 100% make sure WEMPE had limitless SS Subs since they can sell SUBS all day long?

Why wouldn't this WEMPE NY location have all the stock and places like Boca Raton, FL have no stock since there is much less traffic?

Because, WEMPE WANTS people to buy higher margin pieces and slow movers that wouldn't sell if a Sub was in the case...

Remember most people aren't WIS...so they will buy whatever ROLEX the AD shows them...and in that particular NY, location regardless of the cost.

Why sell Subs when they can sell PM....ALL DAY LONG. Subs are lower margin, puny ticket.

Rolex has suggested dealers do this. There is a memo floating around.

There is zero reason to even bother with this...just go to another dealer that doesn't handle stock this way.

I'm a so-called VIP at the Wempe stores in NYC, including the Rolex boutique and the other location a couple blocks uptown on 5th Avenue. I'm a longtime New Yorker and have bought quite a few watches from them through the decades. If they had any Subs or other sports models, they would have shown them to me, whether from the display case or some secret vault in the back of the store. And they once did indeed pull out of the back a Daytona-C that was for other customer, just so I could see it.

Anyway, you hear too many of these stories at high-volume dealers for it to be a marketing ploy. I just think that Rolex is having trouble keeping up with demand worldwide for their best-selling sports models.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 06:41 AM   #62
chrito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
That boutique is always short on steel sport watches
true
chrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 07:27 AM   #63
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
That's great. Got a good laugh at that one
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 09:00 AM   #64
willy23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
I was in the Vegas Wynn dealer and no SS models at all.

One PM model:
cool shot
willy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 09:23 AM   #65
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I find it humorous that the least expensive Rolexes -- the stainless steel models -- are being hidden in a safe for the best customers, while all the one time shoppers are "forced" to buy the PM models.

Sounds like no other business model I have ever heard of.
Old 16 November 2017, 09:37 AM   #66
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
That's great. Got a good laugh at that one
Glad you liked it!

Fun fact: I used to rent cars to Bill Nunn (the actor sitting in the chair across the desk from J.K. Simmons in that scene). He was a nice guy, may he RIP.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 09:44 AM   #67
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodtime View Post
I was at Mayors in Boca Raton at Town Center Mall. Their selection was fantastic. No shortage here except for my shortage of funds!
This is the case for all of S. Fla. SS right in the display cases.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 09:46 AM   #68
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
I went into Rolex in NYC and Wempe on 5th, both have no SS sport models. My guess...emphasis on the word "guess" is that the new 3235 movement with 14 patents and 70hr power reserve is going to be in both the SD43 and the Subs. Maybe the Swiss elves are hard at work making new 2018 watches.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 12:01 PM   #69
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I find it humorous that the least expensive Rolexes -- the stainless steel models -- are being hidden in a safe for the best customers, while all the one time shoppers are "forced" to buy the PM models.

If Aliens come down we can tell them there is only enough steel on Earth to fill a small room, go look in an AD's and see for yourself.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 12:18 PM   #70
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post

Exactly. Sir we have no Chevy Tahoes for sale, but plenty of 100K Cadillac Escalades! Take your pick!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 12:51 PM   #71
machob55
"TRF" Member

If you want to buy a BNIB w/papers,tag Rolex model in steel and others I suggest you check out Chronext. Amazing selection. You have to pay the duty usually 2-5% of the price, but still a great deal. You will not pay any sales tax. Great company to deal with....when you pay with CC you get a 2% discount....

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
machob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 01:15 PM   #72
DocHolliday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2828 View Post
I went into Rolex in NYC and Wempe on 5th, both have no SS sport models. My guess...emphasis on the word "guess" is that the new 3235 movement with 14 patents and 70hr power reserve is going to be in both the SD43 and the Subs. Maybe the Swiss elves are hard at work making new 2018 watches.

This is my theory as well. There seems to be no other reason why we would be seeing such a shortage. I don’t buy the story that Rolex was “unprepared for the demand this year”. They have very tight control of their distribution and I’m sure someone keeps track of market trends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 01:35 PM   #73
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
rolex going all PM, all day, all night.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 01:40 PM   #74
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machob55 View Post
If you want to buy a BNIB w/papers,tag Rolex model in steel and others I suggest you check out Chronext. Amazing selection. You have to pay the duty usually 2-5% of the price, but still a great deal. You will not pay any sales tax. Great company to deal with....when you pay with CC you get a 2% discount....

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Just checked out their prices and wow, they're a heckuva lot more expensive than TS on TRF. No thanks!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 10:28 PM   #75
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

Just checked out their prices and wow, they're a heckuva lot more expensive than TS on TRF. No thanks!
They used to be good value, like your TS, but since Brexit their Euro prices are much higher for us and probably for you guys too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 11:09 PM   #76
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
Instead of saying "this is just nonsense", why don't you provide an accurate answer to his question?

"If this isn't the case, then why wouldn't ROLEX 100% make sure WEMPE had limitless SS Subs since they can sell SUBS all day long?"...
I do not know Rolex's strategy as I do not work for them. But I do know for a 99% certainty that he is incorrect - ADs do not have secret vaults filled with SS Sport models. Swish77's post corresponds with mine and many others' experiences.

Also pretty sure there is no hidden Rolex memo about this to be found lol.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 11:33 PM   #77
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Biggest Rolex Store in US Has No Sports Models

Just had a convo wit my local AD. He knows I am not currently looking for anything as I have everything I want at the moment. (Unless I hit the lottery.) I mentioned to him about all the threads on TRF about a shortage of SS and no more shipments. His response was that Rolex produces watches based on sales expectations per year. And he said that they were 30% above expectations. And I am sure the SS sports models are a big chunk of that 30%. Which explains the shortage at this years end. Im sure many will take this explanation with a grain of salt. But this is just me adding my input to this thread. I will say it sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. So a real SS shortage and not a perceived SS shortage could make some ADs want to vault certain SS models for more top tier customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 11:38 PM   #78
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Originally Posted by duc916sps View Post
Anyone have a lead on a SS Daytona at any of these stores?
Sorry, had to ask lol

I am in AZ but willing to look anywhere CONUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote