The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2017, 04:41 PM   #1
goodman247
"TRF" Member

Advise for First Purchase in Chicago

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to purchase my first Rolex this month or the next. I have my sight set on a brand new Submariner Date. I can pay by either credit card, check or cash. After doing some research there are quite a few authorized dealers in Chicago but their reviews are all over the place. It seems like C.D. Peacock at Old Orchard and the Razny by Michigan Avenue have the best reviews so I might try my luck at those places. Any other suggestions are welcome.

My main question is if I offer to pay the watch in full by credit card, check or cash, should I aim to go for no tax and 10% off msrp? Or it's already a good deal to pay the msrp with no tax?

I really don't have any experience buying something this valuable from a jeweler.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!!
goodman247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 05:54 PM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Currently Sub Dates are scarce; no likelihood of a discount. Most dealers charge the same. You'll be lucky to find one.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 12:00 AM   #3
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
As scarce as steel models are right now, I wouldn't get my hopes up. As Lee said, you'll be lucky to find one.

If you do find one, you can always ask...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 12:16 AM   #4
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I really don't think dealers care how you pay. These days most people use cards and that's just a cost of doing business.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 12:27 AM   #5
Brikev
"TRF" Member

Razny has the SubC in stock in at least one of their stores as I saw them there over the weekend. As for discount- not likely. They told me they can't get any more of them any time soon.
Brikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 12:33 AM   #6
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
Go to Razny, great staff, plus they hosted our last TRF/Chicago gtg!
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 12:37 AM   #7
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Never hurts to ask for a discount; however, due to limited availability should expect to pay retail.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 12:44 AM   #8
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman247 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to purchase my first Rolex this month or the next. I have my sight set on a brand new Submariner Date. I can pay by either credit card, check or cash. After doing some research there are quite a few authorized dealers in Chicago but their reviews are all over the place. It seems like C.D. Peacock at Old Orchard and the Razny by Michigan Avenue have the best reviews so I might try my luck at those places. Any other suggestions are welcome.

My main question is if I offer to pay the watch in full by credit card, check or cash, should I aim to go for no tax and 10% off msrp? Or it's already a good deal to pay the msrp with no tax?

I really don't have any experience buying something this valuable from a jeweler.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!!
with the low supply of SS sports models right now, it is not likely you will get any discount. Especially in Chicago, even when there were plenty of stock 6 months ago. Most of the bigger dealers will offer you extended (in house) warranty and one free service. I bought my D-blue from Persin & Robins. The owner offered to take care of the tax for me and I paid credit card for it. Once again, that was 6 months ago. Not sure if he will do that now.
To be honest, I only window shop, try on watches with Chicago dealers now. Big stores in big cities, you are not likely to get any discount and build a solid relationship, unless you have bought several items from the same store.

But I must say that the sales I have met in Razny Highland Park and C.D Peacock Old Orchard are very nice and friendly.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 01:46 AM   #9
goodman247
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the suggestions!! Since I'm not in any real hurry to buy, I will wait until next year before I make a purchase. For the time being I guess I will try to go to a couple of these shops and gage their price.

Thanks again for the replies, it's very helpful!!
goodman247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 01:51 AM   #10
Librarywilliam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars,IWC,Smurf
Trusted Sellers
Librarywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 02:12 AM   #11
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I have not shopped for a SS Sub lately but from what it appears above they are scarce even in Chicago.

So think about it this way. There is no such thing as “no tax”. If you live in Indiana or Wisconsin or somewhere else out of state and they agree to ship to you they will may not charge the tax. The law says that you are supposed to claim that on your home states return and pay their tax on those purchases. Do people, no idea, not my issue.

If you are going to physically walk into an Authorized Rolex Jeweler and purchase a watch and take it with you the tax must be paid by someone. If the dealer agrees to sell you the watch at MSRP “out the door” he has in essence discounted that watch 10.25% , the sales tax in Chicago that needs to be paid.

As far as cash, card etc it may be worth a try for another 1 or 2% but I would say not likely.

Look at some of the bigger sellers on the forum and see if you can find one that fits your needs for potentially a little less if you are willing to make the trade off of the AD experience.

If it was me and I knew a preowned piece would cost me close to a new piece I would take the new one and start to build the relationship with the AD so that you can have a friend in the AD business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 02:19 AM   #12
Atom4
"TRF" Member

If it's a small operation they might appreciate cash....a business like Tourneau, they couldnt care less if you paid by AMEX or cash.
Atom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 02:19 AM   #13
Dougmyers4
"TRF" Member

Milwaukee

Call the AD in Dowtown Milwaukee to see if they have what u want. Easy trip by car or train, and no 10%++ sales tax.
They will ship to your Chitown home or business.
Dougmyers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 02:24 AM   #14
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman247 View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions!! Since I'm not in any real hurry to buy, I will wait until next year before I make a purchase. For the time being I guess I will try to go to a couple of these shops and gage their price. Thanks again for the replies, it's very helpful!!
I would check out some of the ADs recommended in this thread. Have fun with the tour. Maybe enjoy a cold beverage at a nearby trendy bar. And if one of the suggested stores has just happened to have received one, why not jump on it? A Sub Date ceramic would make a fantastic holiday gift for yourself.

Regards, -rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 05:47 AM   #15
hothothaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Pam 685
If you can ship it to a friend out of state, I know Razny will not charge sales tax. Since they don't have to pay it. Got any friends across the indiana border?
hothothaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 08:57 AM   #16
smallcollector
"TRF" Member

Very frustrated with this market also. I have made some large purchases, and get almost 0 respect when it comes time to deal out the allocated pieces
smallcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 09:11 AM   #17
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

What about this one:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=572780

Under msrp and no tax, BNIB
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 09:28 AM   #18
RX0
"TRF" Member

I go to Razny at Addison. Urszula had been my client advisor for many yrs. in fact, she got me the Sky Dweller in blue dial back to July.
RX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 01:42 PM   #19
Robtech
"TRF" Member

Go to Ranzy in Addison, see Roberto... Good selection, fair price/discount, nice place.
Robtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 03:01 PM   #20
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Razny on Oak St. Good bunch of people, and Stan Razny is a straight shooter.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 03:25 PM   #21
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
I have not shopped for a SS Sub lately but from what it appears above they are scarce even in Chicago.

So think about it this way. There is no such thing as “no tax”. If you live in Indiana or Wisconsin or somewhere else out of state and they agree to ship to you they will may not charge the tax. The law says that you are supposed to claim that on your home states return and pay their tax on those purchases. Do people, no idea, not my issue.

If you are going to physically walk into an Authorized Rolex Jeweler and purchase a watch and take it with you the tax must be paid by someone. If the dealer agrees to sell you the watch at MSRP “out the door” he has in essence discounted that watch 10.25% , the sales tax in Chicago that needs to be paid.

As far as cash, card etc it may be worth a try for another 1 or 2% but I would say not likely.

Look at some of the bigger sellers on the forum and see if you can find one that fits your needs for potentially a little less if you are willing to make the trade off of the AD experience.

If it was me and I knew a preowned piece would cost me close to a new piece I would take the new one and start to build the relationship with the AD so that you can have a friend in the AD business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't forget that not all states have sales tax, so buying and then having it shipped to one of those states very much, and legitimately, means "no tax."
Cloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 03:28 PM   #22
teamkitty
"TRF" Member

This doesn’t directly answer your question, but I do have some experience with the Tourneau Rolex boutique on Michigan Ave.

I walked in for the first time ever this summer wearing shorts and a t-shirt looking for help resizing an Explorer that I had just purchased out of state. They happily adjusted the microadjustment in the clasp at no charge.

I came back the next day because it was still too tight and again they were happy to adjust the clasp.

Then I got totally OCD and visited a third time in three days to see if they would special order me a half-link from a completely different watch based off a part number I got on this forum. Again, no problems whatsoever. Installed free of charge.

So I guess the point is I’m not sure of their current selection, or their discounts, but I can definitely attest to their customer service – at least in my experience.
teamkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 04:04 PM   #23
Sydny2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, GMT
I got my SubC from the boutique on Michigan Ave. My friend got BLNR from Razny on Oak st. They are both good. Seems like Razny can ship with no tax I think. Go check them all out :)
Sydny2 is offline   Reply With Quote