The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 December 2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
World Time

Hi TRF
I am at a point that I have decided I want to have a World Time complication in my collection.

I am veering towards a 5230 but would like to get more inputs from this forum on the following:

1) the center dial legibility
2) the hour hand legibility
3) the bezel style
4) the lugs style

I have decided that I want a 38-39mm case size and a rose gold version for my World Time watch, simply because the 38-39 fits my 5.75 wrist nicely and I don’t have precious metal so far in my collection.

I travel frequently both within and out of the country.

Thanks in advance !

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 05:52 AM   #2
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have been struggling over a World Time purchase as well. I love the look and legibility of PP world time pieces. However it just kills me there is no seconds hand. That is one line I cannot cross. Because I do travel often and prefer a sporty (eg rubber strap or bracelet) and non-precious metal but if the PP world time pieces had a second hand, I would go for it. At one point i considered the Patek 5930 which as a chronograph seconds hand but in the end decided against it. I do not like the small chronograph minutes hand and again for me -- traveling prefer steel or titanium. I have a small wrist about 6.3 inches and considering the VC Overseas World Time which is on a metal bracelet and comes with a leather and rubber strap. That dial is a bit crowded but seems to wear reasonability well on me even though 43mm dial. Now I usually wear my Patek 5164 or 5990 GMT when i travel overseas. But to answer your question, I think the patek 5230 is one of the more legible world time pieces. I cannot comment on 3 and 4 because not sure what you are asking specifically. The lug and bezel style are a matter of taste.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
World Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I have been struggling over a World Time purchase as well. I love the look and legibility of PP world time pieces. However it just kills me there is no seconds hand. That is one line I cannot cross. Because I do travel often and prefer a sporty (eg rubber strap or bracelet) and non-precious metal but if the PP world time pieces had a second hand, I would go for it. At one point i considered the Patek 5930 which as a chronograph seconds hand but in the end decided against it. I do not like the small chronograph minutes hand and again for me -- traveling prefer steel or titanium. I have a small wrist about 6.3 inches and considering the VC Overseas World Time which is on a metal bracelet and comes with a leather and rubber strap. That dial is a bit crowded but seems to wear reasonability well on me even though 43mm dial. Now I usually wear my Patek 5164 or 5990 GMT when i travel overseas. But to answer your question, I think the patek 5230 is one of the more legible world time pieces. I cannot comment on 3 and 4 because not sure what you are asking specifically. The lug and bezel style are a matter of taste.

Hi watchucallit

Thanks mate and appreciate the time and effort on your reply post to my query.

Thanks also for directing my thought on two important characteristics that you feel is best in a World Time watch — the seconds hand and the practical wearability if in steel bracelet instead of leather. Couldn’t agree you more. And seeing the VC Overseas World Time that have those features presence really brought much respect to the said brand. Very informative.

I currently have a GMT2 and a Travel Time watch that I used for traveling. I like the ease of changing time zones using those two watches. I forgot to mention that one of the reasons for my planned purchase of a World Time watch is to have the ease of checking the time zone where my kid is staying. That way when I strike a conversation with him either through text messaging or call, it wouldn’t be at some odd hours that would bother him. Hence, using the World Time for travel is just an added bonus for me. So initially I wasn’t concerned on the leather strap and in fact preferred a rose gold metal to add some varieties to my collection. But hey mate thanks much for your enlightening inputs on the PP5930 and the VC Oversea World Time. The latter is in my radar now so will ponder more. I was never a big fan of the 5930 and find dual complication of a chrono and a World Time to be a little odd or “overkill”. Now that you pointed out the shortened seconds chrono hand, it made me dislike more the said model.

As to my other two queries, I’m so sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. I read that the winglet lugs on the 5230 is not a neat style to accompany the said watch. Is that a fair statement? On the bezel, how different was the bezel of the 5230 vs. the other bezels found in other PP Calatrava watches? Is the bezel style a bit of a scratch magnet? I used to have a 5205 and found the concave bezel to be pretty and neat which avoided scratches. Same also on the 5140’s thin bezel that is able to resist scratches from shirt cuffs. Any thoughts that you can share will be much appreciated.

I will be pondering on my next steps and will gladly post my decision and acquisition in the coming new year.

Thanks so much mate for taking the time to respond to my post.

Happy holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote