The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 April 2018, 11:17 AM   #181
A3MED
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Lol... I will admit I have bought several pieces at MSRP.
A3MED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 01:49 PM   #182
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Have you seen how much grief the guy with the brand-new white gold sub with the crown that fell off is getting for buying at MSRP? If any if us were to fess up about paying over retail a mob would probably attack.
In my experience the mobs are usually people who don’t buy anything.

I’ve overpaid, I’ve underpaid, I’ve paid retail. I’ve made a few bucks, I’ve lost a few bucks. All in the game.
Old 28 April 2018, 05:34 AM   #183
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Sold to someone on this forum? That’s what I asked.
the difference is that on chrono24 you have a buyer protection so buyers are willing to spend even more money to buy from chrono24 instead on here. in the end of the day fact is that the 5522 sells really good for 45-50K. period.
antikythera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 05:35 AM   #184
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
In my experience the mobs are usually people who don’t buy anything.

I’ve overpaid, I’ve underpaid, I’ve paid retail. I’ve made a few bucks, I’ve lost a few bucks. All in the game.
Old 28 April 2018, 05:42 AM   #185
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
the difference is that on chrono24 you have a buyer protection so buyers are willing to spend even more money to buy from chrono24 instead on here. in the end of the day fact is that the 5522 sells really good for 45-50K. period.
That’s very interesting I had no idea they were selling like hot cakes. Do you own a 5522? Personally I’d buy from someone on TRF like DavidSW or Takuya before I’d wire money to some anonymous seller on Chrono24 even with the so called buyer protection plan. I learn something new everyday
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 06:53 AM   #186
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s very interesting I had no idea they were selling like hot cakes. Do you own a 5522? Personally I’d buy from someone on TRF like DavidSW or Takuya before I’d wire money to some anonymous seller on Chrono24 even with the so called buyer protection plan. I learn something new everyday
Well that's life. You never stop learning and i'm glad you learned something new today.
Old 28 April 2018, 09:18 AM   #187
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I actually like the 5975j at around 60k. I remember when it was over 90 a few years back.
It's a really great looking watch , with possibly a soft market right now.
At 60k a solid pick up.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 09:25 AM   #188
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
It's a really great looking watch , with possibly a soft market right now.
At 60k a solid pick up.
I agree if anything 60k is a bargain for a piece like this.

Oh never mind I thought you were talking 5522. Not a fan of 5975J.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 09:36 AM   #189
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 09:47 AM   #190
martinr
"TRF" Member

Sarcasm aside I wonder how someone knows when a watch listed for sale on Chrono 24 sells and also at what price. Some sellers might have hundreds of watches listed and when I look at the more information about the seller section where it says number of watches sold through trusted checkout it might say one or two, and not specifically which piece either.
Old 28 April 2018, 01:41 PM   #191
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sarcasm aside I wonder how someone knows when a watch listed for sale on Chrono 24 sells and also at what price. Some sellers might have hundreds of watches listed and when I look at the more information about the seller section where it says number of watches sold through trusted checkout it might say one or two, and not specifically which piece either.
thats a screenshot of my notepad on chrono 24. if there is writen "sold" then it sold. if there is writen "not availeble" then the listing ended for some reason e.g. it sold outside of chrono. i know that those 5522a sold for at least $45K (pre-owned) because i ask all selles whats the best price they can make. no one of them would sell below 45K. New they sell for more. in europe even pre-owned dont sell below $50K. i am on the hunt for one and ask prices for awhile now.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 28 April 2018, 01:47 PM   #192
martinr
"TRF" Member

I have no idea what you’re saying but thanks for trying, next time me I’ll try and be a little more specific with my questions.
Old 28 April 2018, 03:01 PM   #193
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have no idea what you’re saying but thanks for trying, next time me I’ll try and be a little more specific with my questions.
in case you really have no idea what i´m saying here we go again. you asked how someone knows when a watch listed for sale on Chrono 24 sells and also at what price, so i made a screenshot of my chrono 24 watching list. when a watch sells then it is marked as "SOLD". simple as that. also i know at what price the particular 5522a´s sold because i was last week about to buy one them and prior i asked the sellers for the best price they can make. non of them would sell it bellow 45K. so if they re now sold it obviously means they dont sold below 45K right?
Old 28 April 2018, 03:31 PM   #194
antikythera
"TRF" Member

back to the thread title "5522A fails". a watch which sells pre-owned for at least double the retail price is simply not a fail. and haters gona hate as much as they like.
Old 28 April 2018, 03:47 PM   #195
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

You seem to have a really particular need to defend a watch you don’t ow.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2018, 04:40 PM   #196
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
back to the thread title "5522A fails". a watch which sells pre-owned for at least double the retail price is simply not a fail. and haters gona hate as much as they like.
it failed to sell at auction, the watch is not a fail. I agree with your general sentiment about europe prices being higher. One here is listed for $75,000+in a shop.

Ive said before, but if we determine the success of a watch based on the premium over retail, then we are no better then the flippers we complain about.

Its a great watch regardless of the price.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 04:07 AM   #197
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

DavidSW has one BNIB for 43k and I’m sure he’d be happy to ship worldwide. You guys should buy it and resell in Europe if people are paying 50k lol

My money says those are dreamers pricing it that high.
Old 29 April 2018, 04:20 AM   #198
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
DavidSW has one BNIB for 43k and I’m sure he’d be happy to ship worldwide. You guys should buy it and resell in Europe if people are paying 50k lol

that still puts it at about 55k with import duty/VAT... im sure the dealer in burlington arcade would come down, but its still a lot more than US pricing. Once its here the price is going to be way higher as they know getting it shipped and imported is going to be brutal.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 06:00 AM   #199
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
that still puts it at about 55k with import duty/VAT... im sure the dealer in burlington arcade would come down, but its still a lot more than US pricing. Once its here the price is going to be way higher as they know getting it shipped and imported is going to be brutal.
So if I buy it and wear it on the plane I get a free vacation in Europe?
Old 29 April 2018, 06:29 AM   #200
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
Quote:
As the original poster of the thread and as a buyer of Patek at auction, including Antiquorum. My purpose for the post was to show the HYPE on not only this watch but other PP's with HYPE.

Way too many people think that since a watch is listed for $45k, that set's the value. Fact is the watches listed at those prices are still for sale and will be for quite some time.

Please don't get me wrong, I do believe that this watch has get value, perhaps even over retail. But this watch needs compatibles, and it is difficult to find others that have sold. Auctions are a great place to find what a willing buyer is willing to pay.

I do believe that this watch may become collectalble, especially if TS and Patek release the 5521a, a non-limited with a very minor change. Once Patek does this the 5522a becomes high collectible.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 06:45 AM   #201
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
I do believe that this watch may become collectalble, especially if TS and Patek release the 5521a, a non-limited with a very minor change. Once Patek does this the 5522a becomes high collectible.
I'm thinking the new Pilot Nautilus will help the 5522 to ascend to it's proper place in the hierarchy of the all time great steel Pateks.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 07:40 AM   #202
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
it failed to sell at auction, the watch is not a fail. I agree with your general sentiment about europe prices being higher. One here is listed for $75,000+in a shop.

Ive said before, but if we determine the success of a watch based on the premium over retail, then we are no better then the flippers we complain about.

Its a great watch regardless of the price.
yes now i realize it. man at just under 40K i would buy it on the spot. the problem with auctions is that they dont reach many folks. e.g. i had no idea about that auction..
Old 29 April 2018, 07:42 AM   #203
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:

the problem is that we have to pay 20% eu vat taxes when buying something out of the eu. so those 43K would be finally 52K... that´s why the higher prices in the eu.
Old 29 April 2018, 07:49 AM   #204
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
As the original poster of the thread and as a buyer of Patek at auction, including Antiquorum. My purpose for the post was to show the HYPE on not only this watch but other PP's with HYPE.

Way too many people think that since a watch is listed for $45k, that set's the value. Fact is the watches listed at those prices are still for sale and will be for quite some time.

Please don't get me wrong, I do believe that this watch has get value, perhaps even over retail. But this watch needs compatibles, and it is difficult to find others that have sold. Auctions are a great place to find what a willing buyer is willing to pay.

it propably failed at the auction because nobody knew there was an auction. i´m looking for one but even i had no idea. a good platform where everyone has access is chrono 24. and there the 5522 sells for at least 45K.
Old 29 April 2018, 08:31 AM   #205
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

Who here would pay $40k if you hade the money for the 5522a? I have an opportunity to purchase one but I'm not sure if it is a wise decision. I'm not buying to resell but if I ever need to sell it I would like to know if the value will hold.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 29 April 2018, 09:13 AM   #206
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post
Who here would pay $40k if you hade the money for the 5522a? I have an opportunity to purchase one but I'm not sure if it is a wise decision. I'm not buying to resell but if I ever need to sell it I would like to know if the value will hold.

I feel like you've already answered your own question.

Quote:
I too only see this watch going down in value.
Quote:
I'm not saying it will, I'm saying I think it will be MSRP or less. I know they only made 600 of them but they still made 600 of them. A lot of Pateks limited edition watches aren't worth much more than retail, some even below that now.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 10:51 AM   #207
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

Lol..... I was trying to talk myself out of spending that much money. I do like the watch and hope it will keep its value but I feel it may just keep going down. The offer I received was after I made the statement and I started to have a change of heart. I think at this point I may just wait and see what the market will do. But if I am wrong and the watch holds it's value I may just regret not taking the offer. I'm not one to buy and flip a watch but that would be the most I've ever spent on a watch, and it would be nice to know if the value would still be there in the future.
Quote:
I feel like you've already answered your own question.
Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 29 April 2018, 11:07 AM   #208
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I'm glad.

I hope they burst down to sustainable numbers. I want to be able to buy a 5711 without competing with people trying to flip them.
watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 12:15 PM   #209
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
The offer I received was after I made the statement and I started to have a change of heart.
That makes sense I definitely see the appeal and I'm happy to already have one. In that case I think $40k is reasonable and on the low end for where this have been offered. My opinion is that the price won't go down much further. Consider that once the flippers have sold supply will be much lower on the second hand market.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 01:54 PM   #210
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That makes sense I definitely see the appeal and I'm happy to already have one. In that case I think $40k is reasonable and on the low end for where this have been offered. My opinion is that the price won't go down much further. Consider that once the flippers have sold supply will be much lower on the second hand market.
Thanks for the advice. I have always like this watch (it might just be my grail watch) but never really had the funds. If I get it I'll have to treat it like a investment.