The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 August 2018, 12:52 AM   #1
dannyboy2233
"TRF" Member

Patek 5035 P issue; how to resolve?

Hi all,

I recently purchased my first Patek (!), a lightly-used early-2000s Patek 5035 P annual calendar, from a well renowned and thoroughly researched third-party seller. I received the watch about a week ago, and while it looks beautiful and is in perfect physical condition, I noticed an issue with the movement: the entire day-of-the-week-changing process occurs between 9:45 PM and 10:10 PM as opposed to midnight. I reached out to the seller regarding this issue, and at first they didn't understand. Once it became clear, they asked me to send the watch back so their "expert" watchmaker could fix it.

When I looked at the watch with my loupe last night, I also realized that the minute hand is slightly bent, resulting in an incongruous reflection.

This leaves me with three options. I could:

- send the watch to Patek for a full service and have them fix these two problems. I trust Patek fully, and am willing to pay out-of-pocket for peace of mind.
- send the watch to the third-party dealer from which I purchased it. This is the easiest option, but I have little faith in their watchmaker and it would make me nervous sending the watch there.
- return the watch entirely. I've already become attached to it, so I'd like to avoid this if at all possible.

Please advise which path you think is best; I'm leaning towards path one. Thanks!

Danny
dannyboy2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 01:01 AM   #2
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Be upfront with the seller, say that you are only comfortable with Patek touching the internals of your watch. The seller should be able to offer a partial refund.
Old 2 August 2018, 01:02 AM   #3
dannyboy2233
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Be upfront with the seller, say that you are only comfortable with Patek touching the internals of your watch. The seller should be able to offer a partial refund.
Do you mean a partial refund for the cost of a Patek service? The watch did come with a one-year warranty, but it only applies to their in-house staff...
Old 2 August 2018, 01:27 AM   #4
Protour2003
Banned

Watch: the next one
If this seller sold you this watch, I would "assume" their watchmaker looked it over before selling it. What does that say about the person they trust to fix this watch??? Steer clear.

If you love the watch and got a fair deal, ask for a partial refund to pay for patek service. You'll get the watch back from Patek and the watch will be like new.

Good luck!
Protour2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 01:40 AM   #5
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

One way to approach this with the seller is to give them the option of a return and full refund, or a partial refund with you having Patek service the watch. My guess is that they will opt for the latter and Patek will then make the watch perfect...
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 01:49 AM   #6
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
IMHO, go for the first option and have peace of mind. Unfortunately, buying pre-own sometimes carries with it a higher risk. That's part of the equation.
Old 2 August 2018, 02:59 AM   #7
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy2233 View Post

This leaves me with three options. I could:

- send the watch to Patek for a full service and have them fix these two problems. I trust Patek fully, and am willing to pay out-of-pocket for peace of mind.
I would go this route and ask seller to pay for it . Maybe he agrees to pay all of it or maybe 1/2 but if you got a good deal, you have a completely serviced watch performed by PP and peace of mind.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 03:25 AM   #8
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Patek service sellers expense or return, I see no in bewteeen
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 03:55 AM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=614177

In your previous thread, the possibility of a problem on an older pre-owned watch was discussed. No one anticipates a problem, but the reality is that it can happen. I am sorry to hear about your experience. But you should contact the seller and discuss a realistic solution to the problem, that both of you would be happy with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon_jon 

The 5035 used the Caliber 315, which was the predecessor to the Caliber 324 used today in most of Patek's 3-hand automatic watches. The 315 was a solid movement and the 5035P is a great watch at the current market pricing.

In purchasing a preowned watch that has been discontinued over 10 years ago, you always have to consider the fact that it may need servicing. So you have to take that into consideration unless the preowned store provides its own 1 year warranty.

Thanks for your response. The store I'm looking at purchasing from does provide a 1-year warranty, so I'm less worried on that front.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 05:04 AM   #10
avilhena
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
One way to approach this with the seller is to give them the option of a return and full refund, or a partial refund with you having Patek service the watch. My guess is that they will opt for the latter and Patek will then make the watch perfect...
I agree with this!
Old 2 August 2018, 05:11 AM   #11
runner9
Banned

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
IMHO, go for the first option and have peace of mind. Unfortunately, buying pre-own sometimes carries with it a higher risk. That's part of the equation.
Very true it's best you have your peace of mind, buying pre-own watches can be risky sometimes.
runner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 05:28 AM   #12
dannyboy2233
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=614177

In your previous thread, the possibility of a problem on an older pre-owned watch was discussed. No one anticipates a problem, but the reality is that it can happen. I am sorry to hear about your experience. But you should contact the seller and discuss a realistic solution to the problem, that both of you would be happy with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon_jon 

The 5035 used the Caliber 315, which was the predecessor to the Caliber 324 used today in most of Patek's 3-hand automatic watches. The 315 was a solid movement and the 5035P is a great watch at the current market pricing.

In purchasing a preowned watch that has been discontinued over 10 years ago, you always have to consider the fact that it may need servicing. So you have to take that into consideration unless the preowned store provides its own 1 year warranty.

Thanks for your response. The store I'm looking at purchasing from does provide a 1-year warranty, so I'm less worried on that front.
Yes, absolutely true. That's why I'm so conflicted; normally, a Patek that does not function perfectly would be a no-go for me on all fronts, but since it's pre-owned and nearly two decades old, I know it should be held to a lower standard.

The one thing I didn't realize (and should have clarified before purchase) was that the watch's associated one-year warranty only applied to their in-house staff. Had I known that, I may have pushed for a lower price on the piece. Oh well, live and learn
Old 2 August 2018, 05:29 AM   #13
dannyboy2233
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses, all. I think I'll reach out to the seller and offer them an ultimatum: accept a return and full refund of the watch, or provide a partial refund for the Patek service. Hopefully they cave, but if not I will likely service the watch at Patek for full out-of-pocket cost. I think it's worth the peace of mind.

Danny
Old 2 August 2018, 09:36 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The watch is messed up because someone other than Patek worked on it. A hand is bent. Unless you want the watch and will full pay for the repair/service I would return and demand a full refund from your seller.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 09:56 AM   #15
dannyboy2233
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The watch is messed up because someone other than Patek worked on it. A hand is bent. Unless you want the watch and will full pay for the repair/service I would return and demand a full refund from your seller.
It's a tough call. I've been seeking this specific watch (metal, dial color, etc.) for some time, and this was the first one I've seen. I could return it, but I'm quite attached to it now and I'm not confident I'd be able to find a replacement in the near future. I'm ok eating most (if not all) of the Patek service cost, assuming the damage that someone else did to this piece can be undone and I can prevent further damage.
Old 2 August 2018, 11:15 AM   #16
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I purchased my 14800, 1995 with it still in it’s PP service box. I knew that it would be fine. I suggest contact the seller. Advise him of your concerns. You would like to keep the watch, but only after it has been serviced by PP at his expense. If not willing, tell him to keep it and get a refund.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote