The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 June 2006, 02:47 PM   #1
bogey

Watch: GMTII ,SUB, EXPII
once and for all........

Is the daytona the ultimate rolex to own to the extent that if we ever get one we will stop buying more Rolexes? I'm relying on the theory that once you get the "ultimate piece" you lose interest in the other models.... Of course, in my heart I don't believe this to be true, ( i want them all, who doesn't ? ). I've been contemplating quite a while ( includes saving up ) on acquring a TT YM, but during the course of the saving up part, I decided that i want the GMT II that I originally wanted ( when i was deciding between the GMT and SUB ). Now that i have the dough for the GMT, my girlfriend tells me why don't i just get the daytona and get it over with. I always dreamed of owning a daytona but not in the near future. I planned it to be the crowning piece in my collection whenever that will end or happen....... Do I honestly think that by acquring a daytona i will stop acquiring ( at least dreaming of it )the other models, NO WAY, i would think that the order of acquistion will just change, but that's just me.......

query for you guys........ if you get the ultimate, ultimate rolex that you've always wanted would you stop collecting ?????

btw, my AD has a daytona for me TT white dial ( new but 2002 series) or a SS in white also....

ps. because of how difficult it is to acquire a daytona, hence, the post...

thanks for your inputs in advance
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 04:11 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Bogey,

Each and every member here will have his or her own view of what they feel the ULTIMATE ROLEX is. However, once you buy the one you think is the ULTIMATE, you will not stop there.

For example, I've always believed that the Ultimate Rolex is the SS Sub-date, but I can never get tired of Rollies. I believe in two and I am very comfortable with that number, but you will desire more as time goes by.

As for the Daytona....it's a beauty....but whether it's the ULTIMATE.....well, that is entirely up to you. It is a superb movement, probably the world's best chronograph 4130 movement....so if you love it so much....GO FOR IT!!

My ULTIMATE ROLEX>>>

...and a picture of the TT white Daytona!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 07:09 PM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Only you can answer your question bogey. If I were to get a Plat/SS YM would I stop? I don't know. Personally, I think the SS Sub is the ultimate Rolex. It's what got me into watches when I was 12 yrs old. I know you see alot of them but that doesn't matter to me. I have a personal reason why I like it. You will get alot of different answers for this question, but it's all personal preference.

If your AD has a whiye dial SS Daytona and you have the funds are there, I say get it. That is if you really want it. They're hard to come by. Good luck with this problem.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 07:29 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well Bogey every member will have his holy grail Rolex watch.Mine is a 30s- 40s Rolex Prince.Myself not a fan of the modern day Daytona, and don't know why all the fuss over the S.steel model, its just pure hype.The TT is a better looking watch for around the same price as the over inflated S.steel.Now a Daytona 6265/63,is a far nicer looking watch IMO,if they could bring back that dial with the new movement now that would be a nice watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 10:10 PM   #5
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
My advice - go with the TT Daytona. But what do I know...
Old 19 June 2006, 10:27 PM   #6
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
As you can see from the responses to date, bogey, everyone has their own idea of what the ULTIMATE Rolex is. For me, it's the all black GMT-II. I already have that one. Does that keep me from looking at others? Not for a minute. Do I want other Rollies. Sure. Two in particular. The meteorite Daytona and the SS/Pt YM (yes, people, I've added that to my wish list for those of you who are thinking of birthday gift ideas ).

As for what to do now, I would probably for fthe Daytona if that's what you really want. Since they are a bit harder to come by, you might want to grab it while you can. And since the GMT-II will set you back significantly less than a Daytona, it will be easier to save for that one down the line. When you get the GMT (which I trust will be the black bezel flavor ), then you will have the ULTIMATE Rolex and can slow down (but never stop) the hunt for the next great Rolex.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 10:43 PM   #7
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
When you get the GMT (which I trust will be the black bezel flavor ), then you will have the ULTIMATE Rolex and can slow down (but never stop) the hunt for the next great Rolex.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 10:46 PM   #8
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
I don't think it ever ends! The ultimate Rolex to me was a SS white dial Daytona. Now that I have the white the ultimate Rolex is the Black dial SS Daytona!

Warren Buffett
hutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 10:55 PM   #9
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchman View Post
I don't think it ever ends!...
Exactly, Mike. Exactly!
Old 19 June 2006, 11:08 PM   #10
topher

Watch: GMT Master II
I love all the various Rolex watches, but I'm also on a budget and buy things for life, not a trader. I had a Datejust years ago and enjoyed, sold it for graduate school. Several weeks ago I got the GMT TT, Black. Love it, my ultimate watch. I'm also a pastor, I where black clarical shirts, TT Black fits perfectly. Never had interest in the Daytona, like the Sub, etc.

Don't buy what others think you should, buy the one that you can't live without.
topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 02:25 AM   #11
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
bogey, Welcome to TRF, as far as the Ultimate Rolex well I believe this is in the 'eye of the beholder' just as what model makes you the beholder smile may not be the watch which makes me smile.

I've a few watches at this point in my life and the one which gets the most wrist time is.... hard to say but, I see my SSDJ, my 5513, my SD, and my Omega SM on my wrist the most.

Again, bogey if the watch smiles at you then go for it but, not until. I satisfied my want for a crono with it and I think it was a very good choice since the Omega is the older speedmaster 1045.

my .02 cents
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 04:41 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
Don't buy what others think you should, buy the one that you can't live without.
Exactly!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 07:52 AM   #13
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Ultimate Rolex

Many times I have seen members finally get a Daytona after getting the 'fever' only to be let down after finally getting one. Then again others love their Daytonas. At MSRP it is a no brainer to me, buy it and flip it if you don't want it. I agree with Padi, here is the one to get, for only 20K+. =) maverick

6265/6262
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 11:23 AM   #14
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Sorry, Mav, that vintage Daytona does absolutely nothing for me. I much prefer the modern look and the in-house movement - not so much because it's in-house, but I prefer the offset subdials.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 11:38 AM   #15
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
I really like my SS white dial Daytona, but that has not stopped me from wanting something different. In fact, I still believe the WG Meteorite dial Daytona is the Ultimate Rolex, but I may change my mind after I get one (that's IF I ever get one).

These days, I find myself attracted more and more to the exotic dial Rolex watches. I saw the TT YM with a Tahitian MOP dial and it was absolutely smokin! $15,000 worth of smokin, but smokin nonetheless.
Old 20 June 2006, 11:53 AM   #16
bogey

Watch: GMTII ,SUB, EXPII
i know eveybody has his own "holy grail" of watches........ for me it's actually a Lange but i'll never have the guts to spend that much money for a watch, then again you never know. i always associated Rolex with a Daytona so i consider this the grail of Rolexes. I guess, it's just wishfull thinking on my part (or maybe on my girlfriends part) that if I finally get this watch that I'd stop looking and drooling ......... but i know that not possible... just wanted to see if everybody else here has got it as bad as i do
i'll let you guys know what i decide to get....thanks again

ps. i really promise to post some pics this time... i tried the last time but the pics were really bad..... proof: see avatar
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2006, 07:22 PM   #17
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
Many times I have seen members finally get a Daytona after getting the 'fever' only to be let down after finally getting one. Then again others love their Daytonas. At MSRP it is a no brainer to me, buy it and flip it if you don't want it. I agree with Padi, here is the one to get, for only 20K+. =) maverick

6265/6262
That is absolutly beautiful Dennis
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote