The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2018, 03:06 AM   #1
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Daytona 116515

Was in Italy last week and managed to try on a pre-owned RG 116515 Daytona on alligator strap and instantly fell in love. Tend to not like Rolex's variation of Rose but it looked fantastic broken up with the ceramic bezel, black croc strap and chocolate dial.

Since it's basically impossible for me to avoid something I have put in my head, can anyone enlighten me on what the difference is between this version with the croc strap and the newer one with the oysterflex? I actually prefer the one on leather and it seems to be slightly more affordable - could also just throw a Rubber B on the older one and have the best of both worlds basically.

tl;dr: any difference between the croc strap daytona and the oysterflex and please post as many pics as possible

Thanks!
Old 12 September 2018, 04:04 AM   #2
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
To me, the chocolate dial looks much better in the flesh than it does in pics, but must be in the running for some illegibility award with black digits on a brown face.

Especially digits 4,5,7,8 where they have gone for upside down black digits on a brown face

On a practical level if you got the one on a leather strap you could change it out for a rubber b or everest, but if you got one with oysterflex you wouldn't be able to easily change to leather because the oysterflex comes with fixed end links that you can't just unplug. Also choosing oysterflex pre-owned is harder than a leather strap because the latter will fit you but the former might not - the OF comes in fixed lengths and would need to be expensively sourced via a dealer if you didn't get lucky and buy one that was right first time. Unlike aftermarket rubber straps, you can't just cut it to size.

Still, bring on the photos!
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 04:16 AM   #3
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
Was in Italy last week and managed to try on a pre-owned RG 116515 Daytona on alligator strap and instantly fell in love. Tend to not like Rolex's variation of Rose but it looked fantastic broken up with the ceramic bezel, black croc strap and chocolate dial.

Since it's basically impossible for me to avoid something I have put in my head, can anyone enlighten me on what the difference is between this version with the croc strap and the newer one with the oysterflex? I actually prefer the one on leather and it seems to be slightly more affordable - could also just throw a Rubber B on the older one and have the best of both worlds basically.

tl;dr: any difference between the croc strap daytona and the oysterflex and please post as many pics as possible

Thanks!
Congrats! Such a beautiful watch.

Yes, the difference between the newest OF models is the clasp. The oysterflex strap will not fit your clasp.

However, if you were somehow able to source the clasp, Rolex started making new leather straps that will fit the OF clasp. Unfortunately that's not the one your watch came with.

For now though, rubber b will do the trick. Congrats again.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 04:58 AM   #4
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info. To clear up any confusion I have not bought the watch yet!! Haha but I am sure it will appear on my doorstep sooner rather than later...

One follow-up question. Is the leather strap adjustable? One thing about the OF I do not like is you have to buy the correct size strap and given I have tiny wrists I would likely have to buy from the AD...
Old 12 September 2018, 05:16 AM   #5
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
Thanks for the info. To clear up any confusion I have not bought the watch yet!! Haha but I am sure it will appear on my doorstep sooner rather than later...

One follow-up question. Is the leather strap adjustable? One thing about the OF I do not like is you have to buy the correct size strap and given I have tiny wrists I would likely have to buy from the AD...
I'm not sure exactly how many mm of adjustment you have on the leather strap, but I can tell you the OF clasp has three micro adjustments as well as the EZlink. So it should get you where you need to be. The leather strap clasp has several micro adjustment pin holes, but I'm quite certain no EZlink.

Either way, all the adjustment room is in the clasps. You'll have to buy the correct size strap whether it's leather or OF.
Old 12 September 2018, 05:18 AM   #6
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Awesome, thanks for the info guys.
Old 12 September 2018, 07:32 AM   #7
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
To me, the chocolate dial looks much better in the flesh than it does in pics, but must be in the running for some illegibility award with black digits on a brown face.

Especially digits 4,5,7,8 where they have gone for upside down black digits on a brown face

On a practical level if you got the one on a leather strap you could change it out for a rubber b or everest, but if you got one with oysterflex you wouldn't be able to easily change to leather because the oysterflex comes with fixed end links that you can't just unplug. Also choosing oysterflex pre-owned is harder than a leather strap because the latter will fit you but the former might not - the OF comes in fixed lengths and would need to be expensively sourced via a dealer if you didn't get lucky and buy one that was right first time. Unlike aftermarket rubber straps, you can't just cut it to size.

Still, bring on the photos!

The only difference between the leather strap and oyster flex models is the strap (obviously) and the clasp. The watch head is identical, fixed endinks and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 03:51 AM   #8
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Any on-the-wrist pics with the chocolate dial to help push me over the edge?

(yes I know I sound like a fiend...)
Old 13 September 2018, 04:49 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I found the choco dial and black arabs quite dark, preferred the black dial.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 04:55 AM   #10
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I tried on a chocolate Daytona before also and thought it looked great! Absolutely better looking in person than in pictures.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 05:33 AM   #11
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Stunning. Can always count on your pics! I do love this dial however I already have the Newman dial with champagne subdials so this may be redundant. Will need to see both...
Old 13 September 2018, 08:00 AM   #12
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

That’s a beauty!
Old 14 September 2018, 02:21 AM   #13
R!$
Banned

Nice collection, i prefer the croc also
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote