The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2018, 09:45 PM   #61
BMess
"TRF" Member

I have the DJ 41 fluted, jubilee, with rhodium diamond dial and its my only watch. I wear it everyday. I'm a law student who dresses casually like you everyday. I've never thought my watch was too dressy. It looks great dressed up but that doesnt stop me from wearing it everyday. I sold a SubC for this watch btw.
BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 09:49 PM   #62
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
My recently purchased DJ41.....and I live in jeans. I specifically bought the Jubilee bracelet as all my other pieces are on Oyster.

Agreed here. If you’ve got an oyster bracelet model then go jubilee, but there’s no wrong answer. And remember all Rolexes are sports watches!

Follow my watches on Instagram @vintagearmadillo
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 06:59 AM   #63
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I'm 34 and looking at the DJ41 - fluted with blue dial on oyster. I've also toiled over the question of what I could wear it with. The answer is that on the oyster you could pretty much wear with whatever (beach wear possibly being the exception). Jubilee (although incredible) wouldn't feel right to me and would be overly flashy with fluted bezel. They look amazing but I couldn't pull it off.

So go blue, fluted on oyster and don't worry too much about it. For me it would sit inbetween a sub and a more dressy watch on leather. Call it smart casual if you will.

I wouldn't worry about the PCLs. I never see anyone hesitating to buy a Daytona or Skydweller because they're on PCLs. For some reason though everyone thinks it's a problem for GMTs and DJ41s.

I personally wouldn’t buy a watch with polished center links without the intention of having them brushed out or not wearing the bracelet. Can’t stand them.
Old 21 February 2018, 07:53 AM   #64
jdpny
Banned

Oyster smooth bezel is perfect all rounder
jdpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 08:40 AM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Very interesting.

Does anyone else have a similar experience when comparing wearing oyster to jubilee and fluted to domed?
There is a difference in marking up, but the fluted and jubilee will still show marks, esp under indoor lighting.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 08:50 AM   #66
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
DJ 41 great for casual or dress, especially smooth bezel, buy it, wear it, love it!

Last edited by Yobber76; 21 February 2018 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: added content
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 09:51 AM   #67
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Something about the fluted bezel that drew me to the DJ in the first place, can't go smooth. I do realize that this is one of the primary design elements that dress the watch up, which of course presents the casual clothes dilemma. At some point these decisions won't be so agonizing (I can only get one watch at a time). Always fun to review the options, though.

Lots to think about here, thanks for the advice & pics, everyone! This is one of the most active & lively forums I've ever encountered, looking forward to spending more time here.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 10:05 AM   #68
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
IMO you can wear any configuration of the DJ with any attire.

The DJ41 black dial, fluted on jubilee is quickly growing on me.
GolfJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 12:37 PM   #69
Pacheco
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40,DJ41,YM Blue
I guess I’m the black sheep, smooth bezel with the jubilee. I had to have the jubilee bracelet but I felt the fluted bezel was too in your face so I toned it down with the smooth bezel, even though someone just called me out at work the other day. I wear this watch with polos, with jeans, t shirt, shorts, Jordan’s, Huaraches whatever but I also wear my YG DD40 with jeans and Jordan’s so just get what you like!! It’s really an amazingly versatile watch and I know what you mean about age actually. I just turned 39 and a few years ago when I started this addiction I was all about the GMTs and Daytonas. Then last year I traded a WG Daytona and a TT GMT for a DD40 and DJ41 so taste definitely does mature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0B942415-ED41-4DD6-B7AC-440928A830F2.jpeg (83.4 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpeg 6FF19CA7-AFD2-4947-AE40-C1DC935BF2FA.jpeg (79.1 KB, 412 views)
Old 21 February 2018, 12:55 PM   #70
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
There is a difference in marking up, but the fluted and jubilee will still show marks, esp under indoor lighting.
Thanks!
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 02:40 PM   #71
mrporter
"TRF" Member

Anyone find the flueted bezel is really shiny? I own one but the shiny bezel start to putting me off ..
mrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 03:21 PM   #72
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Smoth on oyster at work in business causal and on weekends way casual for me.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 02:38 AM   #73
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Great pics everyone!
kcmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 08:03 PM   #74
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post

I wouldn't worry about the PCLs. I never see anyone hesitating to buy a Daytona or Skydweller because they're on PCLs. For some reason though everyone thinks it's a problem for GMTs and DJ41s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza_actual View Post
I personally wouldn’t buy a watch with polished center links without the intention of having them brushed out or not wearing the bracelet. Can’t stand them.
It's not just PCLs. My Sub 16610 had brushed centre links and showed scratches badly after just 4 weeks wear from its re-furb. Having come from a jubilee, that's one of the reasons I got rid of the Sub at that point. The secret of both jubilee and fluted is their ability to scatter reflected light and therefore hide any imperfections from the naked eye. Neither oyster or smooth can do this as they have comparatively flat surfaces.

Quote:
No, that's not my experience. I only took my DJ36 off at night for 15 years, wearing it constantly in any situation. To the naked eye you could see no scratching on the bracelet or bezel. Here it is after those 15 years. Never serviced. Never polished...

Before my wife traded her DJ26 for a DJ31 last year she thought about changing to oyster. The AD produced a 2 year old trade in watch with oyster bracelet for her to see how it would wear. The bracelet was all scratched up and she instantly decided to go jubilee again.

Some say they don't mind the scratched oyster look. I did.
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 10:57 PM   #75
Mike_M
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I’m also very taken with the DJ 41. Wouldn’t of thought that—definitely on my collection wish list. What’s so appealing is it can be worn with smart or casual attire. I’ll go jubilee but whether fluted or smooth bezel will be a tough decision when the time comes.
Mike_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 11:56 PM   #76
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I'm thinking of adding a DJ41 at some stage in this journey and would totally wear it with jeans and t-shirt.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 02:07 AM   #77
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
No, that's not my experience. I only took my DJ36 off at night for 15 years, wearing it constantly in any situation. To the naked eye you could see no scratching on the bracelet or bezel. Here it is after those 15 years. Never serviced. Never polished...
OK, not calling you a liar but your experience is maybe 1 in a million so buy some lottery tickets. I had a DD2 which I wore selectively and even on the fluted bezel there were quite a few little marks under lamp lighting within a couple of months. It hides them well but they are certainly there if you look.

Also looks like you have a long gash there at 8 o'clock.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 02:16 AM   #78
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also looks like you have a long gash there at 8 o'clock.
Or maybe a long hair at 8 o’clock?
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 02:35 AM   #79
81sforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & ExpII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacheco View Post
I guess I’m the black sheep, smooth bezel with the jubilee. I had to have the jubilee bracelet but I felt the fluted bezel was too in your face so I toned it down with the smooth bezel, even though someone just called me out at work the other day. I wear this watch with polos, with jeans, t shirt, shorts, Jordan’s, Huaraches whatever but I also wear my YG DD40 with jeans and Jordan’s so just get what you like!! It’s really an amazingly versatile watch and I know what you mean about age actually. I just turned 39 and a few years ago when I started this addiction I was all about the GMTs and Daytonas. Then last year I traded a WG Daytona and a TT GMT for a DD40 and DJ41 so taste definitely does mature.
I personally love this combo of the DJ41 too!
81sforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 02:51 AM   #80
Gor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Yeah, I agree with the guys. You can rock that thing with any and all clothing.

Oyster has traditionally been the 'sportier' of the two bracelets, but I think in general the all steel aspect tones down the jubilee quite a bit...and the configuration I'm looking at, the smooth bezel/jubilee bracelet dresses down even more. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.
I just got my DJ41 blue dial recently and I agree with the smooth bezel/jubilee bracelet combo - the most versatile for me so far...
Gor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 05:46 AM   #81
|404|
Banned

Personally for me, I'm going to get a DJ41 in blue with fluted and jubilee as its just the classic combo, can be dressed up and down. It's a real datejust to me...

Where as the Dj's with smooth... I figure you might aswell get an OP and save yourself a buck or two...

Regarding the bracelet... its gotta be the Jubilee...

All the rest of Rolex are Oysters, so if you have any intention of buying another Rolex now or in the future... Jubilee
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 05:49 AM   #82
jph4387
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Go with an oyster bracelet and fluted bezel and you have a watch that can do anything, go anywhere, pair with anything, and dress up or down and look perfect.
jph4387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 05:53 AM   #83
Houston77
"TRF" Member

I wear my DJ on oyster with anything. I may feel a little differently if it were on a jubilee bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 06:04 AM   #84
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Not a dumb question, yes you are getting older, so is everyone My ADs l visit suggest to go smooth w/ oyster or fluted w/jubilee. Who cares I say do whatever you like. I do think smooth w/oyster is more sporty, it dresses up and down for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 06:18 AM   #85
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofsteel View Post
Hey everyone,

1st off, I just recently joined this forum and I'm impressed with the caliber of decorum/courtesy/helpfulness here. Who am I? Basically a kid in his mid-40's who has been a long-time Submariner fanatic. My question is kinda odd so please bear with me... I never took a liking to the DJ until the new SS DJ 41 debuted at Basel last year. Since then it's been on my drool list; it seems my taste is evolving, either that or I'm just finally getting old (ha!).

The thing holding me back is whether or not it's wearable with really casual outfits: T-shirt, jeans or shorts. I'm talking REALLY casual, I never - and I mean never dress up. I rarely wear collared shirts or polos. Any feedback would be appreciated. That damn blue dial haunts my dreams.

If I may throw in a second question, jubillee vs oyster bracelet? Once again, I'm worried the jubilee might bee too dressy with super casual wear, but I could be wrong. I know all of this is subjective, but please indulge me, thanks.

My friend had a dj2, it was stolen and with insurance he got the 41 (oyster). He wears it with everything. Some will say to dressy, but he pulls it off fine. Up to you how it is worn.

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 06:56 AM   #86
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Buy what you like and wear it with whatever you want to wear it with. And I do mean any watch in any configuration with any outfit you like.

rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 07:53 AM   #87
challer
"TRF" Member

DJ41 with fluted bezel/jubilee/blue dial is as good as the DJ gets. Iconic, beautiful and exceptionally comfortable. Fits in any environment from black tie to swimming at the beach.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:45 PM   #88
cli575
"TRF" Member

green grey combo

that green grey combination just works well with the 2-tone...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg dj 2tone.jpeg (194.4 KB, 244 views)
cli575 is offline   Reply With Quote