The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 December 2018, 10:17 AM   #1
sirjigster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Big Pilot ref:5009-01

Hello -

Like most have been a lurker for quite a while and have made a few purchases (Daytona and Deep Sea).

Was looking to make my first IWC and loved the Big Pilot and see quite a few ref:IW5009-01.

The AD's are asking ~$12K for this watch but the resale seems to be between ~$6.5K and ~$7.5K.

Is that normal for IWC? Is there something about the 5009-01 that I'm missing that makes it worth less than the rest?

I know IWC updates one of its model per year. Is the Big Pilot due for an update?

Thanks, Jose

The image is of a 5009-12 that I tried on in the store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Big Pilot.jpeg (70.2 KB, 183 views)
sirjigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 10:30 AM   #2
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Most IWCs behave similarly on the secondary market. I would give serious consideration to buying one from a trusted seller in the $7k range. The line is constantly evolving by way of new metals and dials, but the classic 5004/9 isn’t going anywhere. Check the IWC website to see the complete line or watchrecon for older models
Old 22 December 2018, 08:16 PM   #3
ICUdR
"TRF" Member

I think is because they are overpriced to start with ( and I own and love mine btw)

When I went to buy mine, before any discounts, it was competing against other serious players. In Australia they retail for AUD$19k. The first thing that cage to my mine was... That's more than I paid for my SD43!

So I think after new they adjust to the what the market thinks they should cost and remain relatively solid on that price range. They seem to sell quick enough in here.

I agree. Buy from here or from a respected seller and save yourself some money.

I eventually bought this...

But still want a black big pilot Which I'm sure won't buy from the AD at full price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ICUdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 08:27 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

BP is better than most IWC on the secondary market. Its an outstanding watch and it looks like you can pull it off size wise. Get it.

Current version of the BP is SIHH 2016 i believe, so its not getting an update for a while IMO.

IWC confuses a lot of people. Their entry level is below Rolex... IE their non in-house movement pieces (40mm pilots or 42mm aquatimers for example). Their mainline manufacture movement pieces IMO are above Rolex level slightly (BP, AC/auto Portugieser), and their grand comps are way way above. So using Rolex as the yardstick IWC runs the full spectrum. Compare that to say Patek or AP or some other company making grand complications and they start at high end for the entry level and stay high end for everything. That said their high end isnt on AP/PP level but just using that as an example.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 06:58 AM   #5
sirjigster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
WOW, never seen that IWC and it looks beautiful. Wear it in good health of if you're looking to sell it let me know, ha!

The seller had three available and now has one left. The one that' left is 10 years old and a ref:5004. I missed out on my opportunity. Will continue to search until the right one hits.

Knowledge is power, thanks for your insight!
sirjigster is offline   Reply With Quote