The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 November 2018, 02:19 PM   #31
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuarian View Post
What is a DJ?
A DJ is the watch you said you were looking for....a Datejust.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:25 PM   #32
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Coconut View Post
A DJ is the watch you said you were looking for....a Datejust.
hehe what is a DJ... Kuarian, you will need to remember or memorize the numbers associated with the watches your talking about...For example a Datejust has a few iterations, like the 126334 is the 41mm Datejust or the 116234 is the 36mm model

If you type in any of those numbers into a search engine, you will see many dial choices for that particular model...

Good luck. if you need any help just ask

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:27 PM   #33
Noah860
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
Didn't try to offend you, if it looked like that i'm sorry. Was just in for a small joke but i understand it was a bit ''simple''
Sorry

Is it too late for me to feel offended?
Noah860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:27 PM   #34
Noah860
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
hehe what is a DJ...
Disc Jockey?
Noah860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:30 PM   #35
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
You might consider a Day-Date model 18238 or 118238 since you prefer solid gold.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 09:21 PM   #36
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah860 View Post
Is it too late for me to feel offended?
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 11:25 PM   #37
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all your responses. I should clarify, my first "luxury" watch was a Grand Seiko SBGH267. I'm just looking to purchase my first rolex. I'm not trying to make a quick purchase, rather the contrary. I was hoping that you experts can educate me on this and maybe teach me a thing or two. I feel like i've already learned couple of things.

I do have some questions and answers to what was posted. What is a DJ? Although i prefer the all yellow gold, i don't mind the steal gold as well. I just like the vintage look of the rolex. I appreciate the history and culture vintage rolexs hold. I'm just not a big fan of the new rolexs to be honest.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
The DJ is just an abbreviation of Datejust. Although I'm not sure why you dislike the new models. Rolex do not make massive changes to their watches and the changes tend to be incremental improvements. Although you want a vintage I would go with the advice the majority of people have already given you: buy a Datejust41. It is technically superior to the watch you want.

I would also do some of your own research on watches and watchmaking. George Daniels has written an excellent book.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 12:58 AM   #38
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
Please honor us with a pic of the watch you select.

The fluted bezel is signature Rolex, and I would consider that. Of course I would also strongly suggest new over vintage. Enjoy the hunt for your perfect piece.....

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 09:24 PM   #39
kuarian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grand Seiko SBGH26
Thanks again for the replies. My budget is between 5-7k. My wrist are around 7.5 inches so when i wear the new 41, they're just too large. When did rolex implement a new movement to the DJs and how reliable are they compared to the previous generation. Thanks again
kuarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 10:35 PM   #40
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
Buy new or atleats modern 6 digit. 5 digits and 4 digits are getting to a point that they should be part of a collection not the one and only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 11:14 PM   #41
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Hello Everyone!

I'm excited to say that i'm ready to purchase my first Rolex.

I'm looking for a Gold Datejust from 1993. signifying my birth year.
I'm quite new to the whole watch and rolex world and i was wondering if you guys can guide me though this. any recommendation or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Watch advice would also be nice.

Thank you!
Wow, you're starting a great but expensive journey. The first Rolex for me was a major purchase. I wanted something modern with all the modern advantages and at the time thought the OP was as good as I could do (36mm no date and stainless). Now six years later I just traded in 19 watches on a real grail watch, one I thought there was no chance of me ever owning.

The best advice I can give is buy a watch that is in high demand and buy it at the best price you can find it for. It is better to have a watch that is in demand than one that you'll have to take a loss on to buy something else.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 11:37 PM   #42
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Be careful buying an old DJ, there is so much to look out for.

There is nothing quite like walking into a boutique and purchasing a brand new one. You won’t forget that experience.

Then later on when you gain some more experience you can add a birth date Rolex to your collectiont
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 11:45 PM   #43
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I have a couple of recommendations. The first is to purchase what you really want. If a ‘93 YG DJ is what you REALLY want, not a commemorative watch that someone told you would be cool to own, then you should get it. My second recommendation is to spend as much time as you possibly can getting to know the watch before you dive in feet first (the movement, how it feels and wears, is it an every day watch or a special occasion type of watch, evaluations for the ‘93 and other years, potential issues like bracelet stretch, movement issues, etc, is it a scratch magnet, service costs, resale value, is it easy to sell if you want to trade up or are you going to take it in the shorts, and everything else in between). Read every review you can find, TRF commentary, ask questions, and watch every video you can on the watch. I couldn’t even count how many times I’ve had my heart set on a watch, spent day, weeks, or months doing what I just recommended, and it either steered me in a completely different direction because it wasn’t the watch I really thought it was, or it made me fall even more in love with it. Either way, it turned out the best for me. Happy hunting and welcome aboard! As others have stated, this will likely turn into a very expensive habit for you.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 08:07 AM   #44
kuarian
"TRF" Member

Hello Everyone.

I have some update for you guys. I think from the suggestions and advice, i think i've narrowed down what i want.

I tried on a 2008 two tone rolex DJ 116233 with the jubilee bracelet and black dial, Full set.
The place that let me try it on also gave an offer for $7200 with 2 year warranty. the watch is an immaculate condition and was recently serviced. I wish i took pictures, but was too excited and forgot to. I wanted to ask if that was a reasonable price and if it was worth buying. I've done some research on them, and they seem quite reliable. Happy Jewelers in Orange county if you guys want to look them up. if someone can give me some insight on this model, please let me know!

Cheers
Old 31 January 2019, 05:28 AM   #45
kuarian
"TRF" Member

Final Update

Final Update!

I purchased this beautiful black dial 2012 rolex datejust ref. 116233. It didn't come with the jubilee bracelet, which i didn't mind because it helped with the price reduction a lot and i would have swapped it out anyways. But thank you everyone for your inputs. It helped me a lot. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 11.11.46 AM copy.jpg (120.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 31 January 2019, 05:38 AM   #46
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Buy new, you won't be sorry. If you insist on buying vintage, then only do so with help from a real expert. There is just so much that can go wrong when you buy vintage.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 05:51 AM   #47
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

The time you'll spend hunting for a watch that isn't tired or abused could be applied to buying a new Datejust 41 that will last you the rest of your life.

I've done the "birth year" bit with a Datejust, Submariner, Corvette, and GTO. The novelty wore off pretty quickly for me. Turns out I like new watches and new cars a lot more than vintage pieces.
Old 31 January 2019, 05:53 AM   #48
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Final Update!

I purchased this beautiful black dial 2012 rolex datejust ref. 116233. It didn't come with the jubilee bracelet, which i didn't mind because it helped with the price reduction a lot and i would have swapped it out anyways. But thank you everyone for your inputs. It helped me a lot. Cheers.
Just saw your update after I posted my comment. Congratulations! Nicely done. The modern 116233 is a fantastic watch. If you ever want to, you should be able to buy a Rolex bracelet to fit it reasonably easily. Enjoy it!
Old 31 January 2019, 05:54 AM   #49
feb29
Banned

Congrats on your first Rolex!!!
feb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 05:56 AM   #50
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Big Congrats it's a beauty!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 06:08 AM   #51
kuarian
"TRF" Member

Thank you! I took the watch to a rolex service center and got it all checked out from inside out. They said it didn't even need servicing since it's so new! I'm planning to go back in 2 years and getting it serviced. I'm really happy with the purchase.
Old 31 January 2019, 06:12 AM   #52
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Nice choice!
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 06:33 AM   #53
Fresh_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Thank you! I took the watch to a rolex service center and got it all checked out from inside out. They said it didn't even need servicing since it's so new! I'm planning to go back in 2 years and getting it serviced. I'm really happy with the purchase.
Congrats Joseph! Glad to hear your are happy with your purchase. Smart move to take it to rolex service center and have it checked out.
Fresh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote