The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 January 2019, 04:51 AM   #91
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Am often asked to do this on international travel. I always put it in the "service case" Rolex returns your watch to you after a trip to the RSC, at least here in Dallas - and place it in my carry on.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 05:57 AM   #92
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Nope. Never.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 05:59 AM   #93
Kh114060
"TRF" Member

Watch: $500 Tourbillon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
Never had a choice here...take it of or you dont fly...
This.

I mean, whats going to happen to the watch if I take it off and put it in the bin?

But then again, I'm not traveling with some 100k+ tourbillon or anything.
Kh114060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 06:05 AM   #94
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

Nope.
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 06:30 AM   #95
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
In the US I’m never asked because I’m a trusted traveler and go through TSA Pre-Check line. Abroad, I’ve got an Oakley watch vault in my backpack and put my watch in it and in a backpack pocket before going through security. The last time I debated with the nice but stern German security agent it was evident I wasn’t going through security with my watch on my wrist. Let’s just say he had the upper hand. I did >250K miles last year and almost without exception the airports outside of the US had people taking all metal off...watches, bracelets, belts, even women’s necklaces. I’m not putting a Rolex or anything else of value in a plastic tub and letting it out my sight.
Have the TSA ever opened up your Oakley watch vault? Out of curiosity?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 07:10 AM   #96
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
In the US I’m never asked because I’m a trusted traveler and go through TSA Pre-Check line. Abroad, I’ve got an Oakley watch vault in my backpack and put my watch in it and in a backpack pocket before going through security. The last time I debated with the nice but stern German security agent it was evident I wasn’t going through security with my watch on my wrist. Let’s just say he had the upper hand. I did >250K miles last year and almost without exception the airports outside of the US had people taking all metal off...watches, bracelets, belts, even women’s necklaces. I’m not putting a Rolex or anything else of value in a plastic tub and letting it out my sight.
Exactly
I've had many alarming discussion with TSA (or international equivalent) across the years - even about Zippo lighters (they wanted to take my recently purchased and personalized one) - i didn't let that happen
Old 29 January 2019, 09:14 AM   #97
davidgreams
"TRF" Member

Just keep your watch on. Even the officers that do tell you to take it off (many don't) won't insist on it once you say you'd rather wear it through. It's very rare that a watch sets off a metal detector, but if it does ask the officer to visually inspect it instead of having it go through the x-ray.

Source: I'm a TSA agent (onoz!!) who's also a watch guy. All an officer can do is "recommend" the watch come off; you won't be denied access to your plane because you want to keep your watch on. I wear mine through the checkpoint when I fly, too. Hope this helps.
davidgreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 11:16 AM   #98
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgreams View Post
Just keep your watch on. Even the officers that do tell you to take it off (many don't) won't insist on it once you say you'd rather wear it through. It's very rare that a watch sets off a metal detector, but if it does ask the officer to visually inspect it instead of having it go through the x-ray.

Source: I'm a TSA agent (onoz!!) who's also a watch guy. All an officer can do is "recommend" the watch come off; you won't be denied access to your plane because you want to keep your watch on. I wear mine through the checkpoint when I fly, too. Hope this helps.
Helpful only if flying from a U.S. airport where TSA rules apply, where watch removal is merely a "recommendation" and the luxury of requesting special treatment of personalized watch inspection in lieu of removing it exists.

You might want to qualify your statement. Otherwise, to the international crowd reading this and all those departing from non-US airports it might not be helpful at all if what they read leads to the assumption that what works with TSA (in Toledo) also works everywhere.

Question; If, as a TSA agent, you're traveling abroad and are requested to remove your watch at a checkpoint by security officials not your own who are tasked with enforcing their own non-TSA set of rules, will you assume it's merely a recommendation and proceed to engage in a long back-and-forth discussion with them that keeps me and others stuck in line behind you standing there not moving for that much longer?
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 11:21 AM   #99
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Helpful only if flying from a U.S. airport, where TSA rules apply (i.e. "works in Toledo") where watch removal is merely a "recommendation" and the luxury of requesting special treatment of personalized watch inspection in lieu of removing it exists.

You might want to qualify your statement. Otherwise, to the international crowd reading this and who fly out of non-US airports (perhaps never inside the U.S.) it might not be helpful at all if they assume what works with TSA also works everywhere.

Try flying in and out of Central and South America on business. The less noticed the better.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 11:42 AM   #100
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Exactly
I've had many alarming discussion with TSA (or international equivalent) across the years - even about Zippo lighters (they wanted to take my recently purchased and personalized one) - i didn't let that happen
Non-pressurized Zippos travel freely as carry-on in the U.S. and some other countries. There are others, however, that will only allow a Zippo through if it's rendered inoperable by removing all fluid-holding cotton stuff, flint, and wick. It's either gut it or they take it. In that situation, at least you'd get to keep the personalized case.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 11:47 AM   #101
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 36
Never been asked to, and never take it off. If asked though, I'd reach for one of my rolled up t shirts and use it as a watch pillow though and put the whole thing in my little packing cube.
DanMdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 02:05 PM   #102
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
a little off topic but goes to the unreasonableness of TSA

For example trying to explain the reasons that you would prefer not to remove your watch.

on a recent return flight my carry on got flagged for a lighter.
the lighter was a metal torch type cigar lighter.
it was a gift at an event i attended while i was traveling.
i only travel with carry on for over 30 years so there was not an option to place it in checked baggage.

so TSA explained to me that i can't bring a torch type lighter (soft flame is ok) on the flight and that he would have to confiscate the lighter.

i offered that if i were to drain off the butane (less than 60 seconds), it would render the lighter useless and essentially turn it into just a square piece of metal.

the response was completely without consideration to the logical option.

the lighter was taken.

TSA leaves much to be desired. i have won a protest regarding removal of my watch on a couple of occasions but there is just no knowing who you will be dealing with and on what level the conversation will exist.

btw i had a second lighter that was not discovered nor taken.
Old 29 January 2019, 03:34 PM   #103
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
I leave my watch on in security, and have not encountered any problems. These have been US domestic flights. In Japan, I stuffed my watch in the carry on (pre-Rolex days), but maybe I'll leave it on next time and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
a little off topic but goes to the unreasonableness of TSA

For example trying to explain the reasons that you would prefer not to remove your watch.

on a recent return flight my carry on got flagged for a lighter.
the lighter was a metal torch type cigar lighter.
it was a gift at an event i attended while i was traveling.
i only travel with carry on for over 30 years so there was not an option to place it in checked baggage.

so TSA explained to me that i can't bring a torch type lighter (soft flame is ok) on the flight and that he would have to confiscate the lighter.

i offered that if i were to drain off the butane (less than 60 seconds), it would render the lighter useless and essentially turn it into just a square piece of metal.

the response was completely without consideration to the logical option.

the lighter was taken.

TSA leaves much to be desired. i have won a protest regarding removal of my watch on a couple of occasions but there is just no knowing who you will be dealing with and on what level the conversation will exist.

btw i had a second lighter that was not discovered nor taken.
Sorry to hear they took your lighter. It seems TSA can be inconsistent in enforcing rules depending on location.

In the mid 2000s, I went through HNL (Honolulu) with a fully charged torch lighter, not knowing that it wasn't allowed. They didn't even stop me. Maybe they didn't recognize it in the x-ray. On the return flight from ITO (Hilo), they stopped me, but just told me to let out all the gas. The TSA lady even showed me which nozzle to depress. I went outside and emptied it, then returned and demonstrated that it was no longer functional, and they let me through.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 03:50 PM   #104
Star Ferry
Banned

TSA is a jobs program, they aren't effective

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-...ry?id=51022188
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 04:15 PM   #105
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
I leave my watch on in security, and have not encountered any problems. These have been US domestic flights. In Japan, I stuffed my watch in the carry on (pre-Rolex days), but maybe I'll leave it on next time and see what happens.

Sorry to hear they took your lighter. It seems TSA can be inconsistent in enforcing rules depending on location.

In the mid 2000s, I went through HNL (Honolulu) with a fully charged torch lighter, not knowing that it wasn't allowed. They didn't even stop me. Maybe they didn't recognize it in the x-ray. On the return flight from ITO (Hilo), they stopped me, but just told me to let out all the gas. The TSA lady even showed me which nozzle to depress. I went outside and emptied it, then returned and demonstrated that it was no longer functional, and they let me through.
Agree it’s the inconsistency that can really allow some absurd results to occur.

I have not been asked to remove my watch in the USA airports but I have been asked twice in South America, I said no and I was allowed to keep it on.

I’ve also been asked while going into a Govt building, the results vary quite a bit.
Old 29 January 2019, 08:02 PM   #106
dwatcher
Banned

Watch: Luxury Watches
On entering the security checkpoint I take my watch off, put it in the travel case and put it in my bag. Don't want to risk someone with sticky fingers at the checkpoint or unnecessarily setting off the metal detector.
dwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 10:52 PM   #107
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatcher View Post
On entering the security checkpoint I take my watch off, put it in the travel case and put it in my bag. Don't want to risk someone with sticky fingers at the checkpoint or unnecessarily setting off the metal detector.
Just my experience but my watch has never set off a metal detector.

Does anyone have a different experience?
Old 30 January 2019, 11:46 AM   #108
stanc1
"TRF" Member

I have never been asked to do such, but if it is necessary i will.
stanc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 02:10 PM   #109
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Just my experience but my watch has never set off a metal detector.

Does anyone have a different experience?
Same here. I usually don't take my watch off, and if I do, the metal detector doesn't go off at all.
mrs_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:41 PM   #110
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 26
A lot of the time, I end up going through the body scanner. However, I've never set off the metal detector whenever I've gone through it with the watch and wedding ring (I also have a metal plate in my hand).
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 08:25 PM   #111
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Have the TSA ever opened up your Oakley watch vault? Out of curiosity?
Have never had an agent ask to look in the watch vault. My backpack has been pulled aside for closer inspection but its always been the tangle of wires and associated transformers and for my electronics.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 08:53 PM   #112
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Never been asked to remove.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 06:34 AM   #113
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Not in the UK or US, but virtually every time I fly from Southern Europe, Asia or further afield, security seem to expect it. I usually plan in advance, put it in a case, and tuck it safely in my carry on bag so I’m not messing around at the scanner. Much better to plan ahead and not draw attention.
betterwatchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 01:13 PM   #114
phiberglass
"TRF" Member

Never; rarely get asked to take it off, but decline if I do. Rather join the longer scan queue than let someone else handle it.
phiberglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 01:27 PM   #115
-lenny-
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 👑
Have not had an issue with my watch, wore it through every time. I only fly Canada/USA. One time I got flagged in the body scanner, because the shorts I was wearing (mountain bike specific) had a goggle wipe in one pocket. Just had to show what that was and I was on my way.
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 04:25 PM   #116
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
A lot of the time, I end up going through the body scanner. However, I've never set off the metal detector whenever I've gone through it with the watch and wedding ring (I also have a metal plate in my hand).
Skywalker is that you????

sorry to hear about the torch lighter, i got my torch lighter taken off me leaving Taipei,

Going to be flying to San Fran tomorrow from Hong Kong, i think i will leave it on my wrist because back then when i owned my 710 LN i took it off quickly stuck it in the corner of the box and put my jacket over it and watched it go into the xray and notice whos behind me

This time round because my missus is flying in from taipei to hong kong im going to have her stand behind me instead

But great read though i learnt a few things here ! maybe i should just try leave it on for next time
Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 09:35 AM   #117
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejb View Post
I travel across the country quite often. Fiancé is a Vancouver native and I’m from Toronto, lots of back and forth to get enough family time.

When going through security I’m always asked to take my watch off. My response is typically (I’d rather not). Sometimes it’s fine but sometimes it doesn’t go so well lol.

What do you guys do? Anyone else have an issue leaving their $10,000+ watch in the X-ray bin?

Anyone ever been asked, declined and had any issues?
I undo the clasp but NEVER take it off. If they insist, say you want a pat down. Sometimes the amount of gold will trigger the sensors. Undoing the clasp takes that issue away. The other thing you can say is “your insurance will not cover the loss”. Typically their insurance is for $2000 coverage
C. Cavalry
DuchessofWinward is offline   Reply With Quote