The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 April 2019, 04:04 AM   #1
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
assigning a value for shipping to RSC...

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I'm stressing over assigning a value on my vintage 1989 16610 Submariner Date. Does one just scan the adverts for for similar watches for sale and assign a high-side value based on condition? I mean if it is lost (unlikely for USPS registered mail) I need to be able to replace it, right?

Sending my old friend to RSC to replace the crystal (chip near the bezel at 5 o'clock) and see what else they recommend. Watch is running very well, but I can only recall one prior service since I bought it, and that was around 12 years ago. I know there are other outfits that can do this, but I really want the work done by RSC Dallas. Thanks in advance for any advice.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 04:08 AM   #2
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
How much are you willing to absorb if it gets lost or damaged? Do you have it covered by other insurance already?
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 04:31 AM   #3
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
How much are you willing to absorb if it gets lost or damaged? Do you have it covered by other insurance already?
It is listed specifically as a jewelry item in my homeowner's insurance, but I do not have a specific rider with an appraised value as a separate item. I would hate to lose it much more from a sentimental aspect than a financial one, though a loss of that value is nothing to sneeze at (one doesn't acquire wealth simply by pissing it down the drain, lol).

It will be going via USPS registered, so I have no idea how fast insurance escalates according to value. Which, I'm not trying to skimp on shipping cost, but in the event something did happen, I would not want to deal with being accused of overstating value. Again, perhaps I'm overthinking.
Old 9 April 2019, 04:33 AM   #4
bobernet
"TRF" Member

assigning a value for shipping to RSC...

I have mine insured separately, so never insure when shipping.

Worst case you’re probably talking about an extra $100 or $200 in shipping cost for high value insurance.
Old 9 April 2019, 05:19 AM   #5
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
I have mine insured separately, so never insure when shipping.

Worst case you’re probably talking about an extra $100 or $200 in shipping cost for high value insurance.
Not even close. You can send USPS registered with $9,000 insurance fo about $60 in my experience
Old 9 April 2019, 05:43 AM   #6
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
If the watch is going to the RSC they will only accept USPS Registered Mail. When you send it registered you must declare the value. The cost of registered mail includes insurance that can go as high as $50,000.

You do not need to buy any additional insurance. What I would do is have an up to date appraisal showing the value and also photographs just in case the package disappears. That is highly unlikely to happen. That’s why Rolex will only accept them that way.

When you get to the Post Office, just fill out the paperwork, declare the value and don’t say, “that’s my $20,000 Rolex in there”.

I’ve sent three watches in. All have arrived and all have been returned.
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 06:02 AM   #7
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Not even close. You can send USPS registered with $9,000 insurance fo about $60 in my experience
Even better. Thanks!
Old 9 April 2019, 06:39 AM   #8
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
If the watch is going to the RSC they will only accept USPS Registered Mail. When you send it registered you must declare the value. The cost of registered mail includes insurance that can go as high as $50,000.

You do not need to buy any additional insurance. What I would do is have an up to date appraisal showing the value and also photographs just in case the package disappears. That is highly unlikely to happen. That’s why Rolex will only accept them that way.

When you get to the Post Office, just fill out the paperwork, declare the value and don’t say, “that’s my $20,000 Rolex in there”.

I’ve sent three watches in. All have arrived and all have been returned.
RSC Dallas actually sent me a box with a foam insert, label attached and the proper registered mail form - what I was fuzzy on is whether or not postage already includes insuring it for the declared amount or that's extra. I think you cleared it up for me. I actually live three hours away from RSC Dallas, and I'm thinking about just taking a day off and popping over there and delivering it by hand.
Thank you.
Old 9 April 2019, 06:43 AM   #9
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapiDoesItAgain View Post
RSC Dallas actually sent me a box with a foam insert, label attached and the proper registered mail form - what I was fuzzy on is whether or not postage already includes insuring it for the declared amount or that's extra. I think you cleared it up for me. I actually live three hours away from RSC Dallas, and I'm thinking about just taking a day off and popping over there and delivering it by hand.
Thank you.
You’re welcome.
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 06:44 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Declare the value for what a new Sub Date would cost. If it is lost, you replace it with a new one, you don't have to go out and find another 20 year old watch to replace it with.
Old 9 April 2019, 09:00 AM   #11
R!$
Banned

if you want RSC service then follow their protocol
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 11:34 AM   #12
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
if you want RSC service then follow their protocol
Not really sure I know what this means, but my question was not how to send them the watch, that I understand, but rather a good way to determine the value for the declaration. They sent a nice box with foam insert, return address label, and necessary USPS forms, all I have to do is box it up and take it to the PO - just want to get the declaration part right. I may well just take a day and drive the three hours over there and hand it to them. Interestingly, they told me today over the phone that they send back the watch back via FedEx overnight signature required.
Old 9 April 2019, 11:38 AM   #13
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapiDoesItAgain View Post
Not really sure I know what this means, but my question was not how to send them the watch, that I understand, but rather a good way to determine the value for the declaration. They sent a nice box with foam insert, return address label, and necessary USPS forms, all I have to do is box it up and take it to the PO - just want to get the declaration part right. I may well just take a day and drive the three hours over there and hand it to them. Interestingly, they told me today over the phone that they send back the watch back via FedEx overnight signature required.
Interesting. I think they sent my Tudor back via the same USPS Registered Mail last year